CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had tough hunting conditions today. Lots of iron and lots of EMI. I was using the stock coil. I could slowly move the stock coil an inch and go from iron grunt to high tone. In lots of areas I couldn’t get my coil off iron. Constant low tone.

I think the 6” coil will squeak out some coins in the iron.

Is the 6” coil less susceptible to EMI?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
General rule of thumb is smaller coils tend to be less affected by EMI. I don't know what Sens. you're running but try backing it off some. I recently got on a yard permission with terrible EMI and trash conditions. Ended up having to dial back the gain to 14! Found 3 mercs and a silver pendant shorty after at a solid 6".

OP
OP
C

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but what machine are you using?

Nox 800. Was running 15-16 on sensitivity. Anything more and the EMI would take over. It would also get EMI every time I lifted the coil. Had to constantly lift the coil to get through thick weeds. Sweep speed 6.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could also try a higher single frequency.

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my 6” coil on the 600 at a local park that houses a cell phone tower. There was nothing I could do to get rid of the EMI, and I tried everything...lower sensitivity, single frequency, ground balance manually...nothing would work. So I put in the 11” coil and had the same problem.

Aside from that park, I have had ZERO EMI issues with the 6” coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions