Beach Hunting

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you who use your detectors at the beach, where do you tend to find more items.

In the loose sand where people sit, or in the surf where the sand and water meet?

I have only used my unit once at the beach and since it was winter I stayed in the sand.

However, I am going to the beach in mid-April and hopefully the water will be warm enough to try out the surf area too.

So where do you have the best results?!

Thanks

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've found nice jewelry in the dry, wet and surf. Having said that, it's been my experience that people lose more rings in the surf after putting on sun screen, getting their fingers wet and cold in the ocean water, then jumping around and playing in the waves.

Just the view from my foxhole...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, look for cuts in the sand. Little ridges of sand erosion where the surf has taken several inches of sand away. Those areas enable deeper, older targets to be accessible again to the detector. Heavy targets like gold will sink significantly. Also, if you find a wet sand area where you are recovering deep quarters or nickels. Work it hard, a wayward gold ring may not be too far away. If you do venture into the surf to look for the higher probability gold region that Dan is talking about, realize how powerful the ocean is and do not underestimate it. Coil drag through the water, recovering targets with your scoop under water in heavy wet sand while getting pummeled by waves will wear you out quick. Make sure you have your equipment tethered to you somehow, don't exceed your fatigue limits, and watch out for holes in the bottom. If if you are only out ankle deep, it can still be a chore. Use Beach 2 out there with tracking ground balance because it better compensate for changing salinity levels due to he surf that is constantly affecting the ground phase reading. Good luck and score another ring like last time.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm vacationing in Indian shores area with Game Over Man as I type this (both using 800's) and we have only found 3 good jewelry targets between us.

I found a silver rosary necklace in the dry sand, a sliver .925 ring in the surf and GOM found a gold earring in the water.

So based on our experience, the most good targets are wherever you swing your coil the most...... LOL

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are usually more targets of every type in the dry sand. As a percentage, there are better targets in the water. Wet sand is kinda in between. Now if you get a wash out or cut, all bets are off!

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so I am clear, define what is meant by wash out or cut?

Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Defined it in my post. Little erosion ridges formed by wave action. Wash outs are depressions on the beach also erosion. They may have standing water in them.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This what I thought but wanted to be sure.

At the beach I go to, while there are places with wash out areas and standing water, the beach has huge areas of ripples.

I guess it is just something I will need to learn.

Thanks

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically you are looking for the lowest points on the beach or in the surf that you can find. On many beaches if you walk straight into the surf you will come across a trench like line where the waves strike the wet sand prior to dissipating. This is one type on area you are looking for. Sometimes as you walk further out you will find another trench or two. Like was mentioned the heavier items like to find to lowest points. If you are lucky and have hard packed gravel or clay under the sand that gets exposed those areas need to be checked thoroughly. That's where your heavier items will settle. The freshwater lakes I hunt have clay and gravel under the sand and I am always on the lookout for exposed areas in the surf as that's where I find the most old silver coins and gold and silver jewelry. Also the surf likes to sort metals out by weight, If you are finding quarters, lead fishing weight and other items similar in weight to a gold ring, search those areas well you will likely be rewarded with a gold ring or several rings. If unfamiliar with ocean surf be wary of rip currents and how to escape them. I hope to see you posting some gold soon.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get a lot of great advice and tips about shallow water hunting if you look up Casper 2's threads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions