Why should I get an 800?

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a CTX with 6", 11" & 17" coils. I have a harness and use Gray Ghost wireless headphones.

I've been following posts and read the comparisons & seen youtube videos comparing them and I can hear the CTX signals making sense and the 800 signals not so much but I'm not used to them either. Still, they both seem just about as effective.

I cannot do much in the water (prosthetic leg) and I know the 800 is 2 pounds lighter which is an advantage. The 800 has no target trace which I do like and I'm familliar with it. I'm honestly a little bummed Minelab charges so much for the CTX and the 800 seems to be almost as good. Now there are 3 coils for the 800 and they cost less than the CTX coils did. The way Minelab is going, there will be a 1000 before there is a 4040 but I have heard nothing in the pipeline. It'd be my luck to buy an 800 and then they drop something like an updated CTX & I'd feel burned again.

So is there any compelling reason why I should consider also buying an 800? Or, why would I bring both on a hunt unless I was worried about running out of battery with just one?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX is still king on deep silver in clean/mild ground and has the most informative and accurate TID. Faster and adjustable recovery speed is the main advantage that Equinox has over CTX which helps it outperform CTX in thick iron. Also, Equinox has different MultIQ signal processing filters that enable it to be optimized for different target types like gold and mid-conductive relics as well as for high conductors and jewelry. These are not just different user setting presets, but the underlying MultiIQ frequency mix and signal processing software varies from mode to mode. It is like getting multiple flavors of FBS on one machine. As a result, Equinox appears to outperform CTX on mid-conductive targets (nickels, brass, gold). Not sure if Minelab is working on a multi IQ-based version of the CTX, with all the bells and whistles, which would kind of make sense. Note that it would probably be at least 6 mos. to a year before you would see one once the rumors start swirling, but haven't heard anything from industry people I know who would have some knowledge of that.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would wait for the 1000 since you don't go in the water. You have to figure all the manufacturers who are worth anything will be competing for the upcoming Christmas market.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Id get a 600 and use it for backup or for just comparing target IDs with the CTX. Having a second detector is always a good idea. With the discounts I’ve been reading about you could probably pay off a 600/800 fairly quick. Good luck!

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the CTX and wait for the next machine or at least next FW release. The alkaline pack is your spare. Save your money for something that is no question better. This is just my opinion although I really wish I was as content with the 800 as some are. There is risk that you will be disappointed. You know if your coil gets over the target you’ll hear it, so force yourself to be content for now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree wait for something better to come along. Too many equinoxes out there for my liking. The fewer equinox users I see out there the better.

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some very interesting replies to my question, and thanks for each of them. It's a difficult decision, parting with good money and not knowing if you will be spending it wisely.

Minelab surprised me by not replying to my email expressing my displeasure at the price of the CTX compared with the low price of the 800 and that the 800 does about as well as the CTX and in some situations, does more. And more, that the CTX has not had an upgrade to it's logic or computing hardware since 2016 and what are they doing for the owners of the CTX.

No reply shows a bad work ethic in this regard and a lack of respect for their customer. As they are currently making what I think are the best detectors being sold today, I either have to continue to use what I have or buy an Equinox or wait it out till the next product rolls out. But I've come to have a dislike of how they treat their customers and wish another company would pull the next best thing.

Here's my non Nox related thoughts on that... I have been spoiled by the company that makes my Ham Radio, and I guess I compare their customer ethic with what I expect from other niche companies who make the tech products I use. There are Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu, those are the big three companies making Ham Radios. It's like a Mine Detector, you buy it, you use it till the next better radio comes out in a couple of years and then you sell your radio, buy the new one and the cycle repeats. But that also floods the market with good used radios and why buy a new one when so many good old ones are out there? But, again, when you buy a new one, it is what it is forever. My radio is by a small USA company called Elecraft.

With the Elecraft radio that I have, they do frequent updates to the software based on customer request and engineering improvements. And on the company's email forum, the two owners are present every day and directly reply. Better yet, they are constantly upgrading their hardware and sell the improved modules to the customer and with each hardware upgrade, that gets put into their current production line. Some hardware mods have to be done and if the user doesn't want to do that, the factory will. Finally there were so many upgrades to the radio they renamed it from K3 to K3s but all the K3s hardware will fit into the K3 and make it the same. I have a K3 from 2007 and a K3s from 2018 and though I bought some options to add to the K3s, my K3 & K3s are the same.

I compare that to Minelab who hasn't done any electrical/software anything to the CTX since 2016 and I can't get a read on what is likely to be the best choice with my next purchase.

Thanks for the thoughts about why I should get an 800, springtime is here and it is definitely time to detect!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only benifit I could see is if you have some really super trashy sites to hunt. getting one with a smaller coil could open them up, as Vferrari said with higher recovery speed.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, A2coins said it well. A very good post. Sometimes I go with a different brand of machine. What one machine lacks, the other brand makes up for. And it is always good to have a backup machine. And all my sites are not the same.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put that NOX 600 in the trunk. You'll never look back!:skullflag:

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Thread.. Im still on the fence about buying an 600/800 Nox Im still using my Dinosaur Sovereign ..which I dont have any problem finding goodies with ..Time is my main problem last 3/4 yrs ..Lifes challenges gets in the way of my hobby !..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread