lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received my new Nox 800 2 days ago. My only other previous detector is a Garrett ADS III, which I purchased 36 years ago and still have. So this is a total relearning for me..
I tried it out for the first time at a nearby old cabin site where there was an abundance of trash in the ground. No real finds except lots of metal trash, which I had also found there with my ADS III. I was using the Park 1 mode, but a different mode may have been better to use there.

My first questions are in regards to the wireless audio.
There appears to be three options in using the headphones.

Wired directly to the Equinox with no latency.
Bluetooth connected to the Equinox with 40 ms delay.
Wired to the WM 08 audio module which is Bluetoothed to the Equinox with a 17 ms delay.

Which method do most use, and is there any advantage in the methods? To me, without any experience, the Bluetooth connection of the headphones directly to the Equinox seems the most convenient, with no wires, but will the extra 40 ms delay effect detecting?

I also keep a cellphone on my hip. Will that have any emf effect to my detecting?

Just a final note. I'm not real tech savvy, and yesterday I was having quite an issue with the headphone pairing to my Equinox. I could get the headphones paired to the Equinox, but when I shut the Equinox down and then latter went to use the headphones it wouldn't re pair. My method of shutting down was pressing the wireless button to shut it off, and then powering down the Equinox. I would then try to restart by powering up the Equinox and then repressing the wireless button, but the headphones would never repair. I would have to go back to a factory reset of the headphones to be able to re pair. I read through the instruction manual many times to see if I missed something to no avail. I remember one part mentioning turning off the headphones and trying to figure out how to do that, but the blue led's were still blinking, so I left them that way. This morning by accident, I tried different methods, and think I have figured things out because it seems to work now. What I'm doing now is just powering down the Equinox, and leaving the wireless button alone. I then power down the headphones by holding the multi-function button until the red led's flash, and that seems to shut down the headphones. Now I start back up by pressing the multi-function button until the blue led's blink, then just power on the Equinox, and it only takes seconds for the pairing. Maybe I'm still missing something from the manual but I think they left certain details out that could have been put in for people like me.

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the wireless headphones that came with the 800.

Once the headphone is paired with the 800, I do this at the beginning of the hunt.

1) Turn on 800
2) Turn on headphones, but keep the power button held down. It will beep once for power on, and beep a second time with a different tone to indicate it's trying to connect to the 800.

It should then automatically connect to the 800.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run the wireless phones paired up. I simply hold the power button down on the phones until I hear the second set of chimes and then turn on the machine. Upon powering up the two pair up instantly every time.

If I ever power down one I shut off the other and repeat the same start up steps above. Never any issues.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember if you turn on the WM08 when trying to pair it will never pair to the bluetooth headphones. It is designed to look for WM08 first if it finds it it will sync to it and not look for the BT headphones. If WM08 is turned off detector will look for WM08 about 10 secs then give up and look for the BT headphones.

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some have reported interference from cell phones. I've tried and cannot get my phone to interfere even at very close distances. Cell phones do not receive or transmit anywhere close to the frequencies the NOX or any other similar detector uses. I suspect some lower end phones may be the culprit, but since I've never personally experienced any similar problem I cannot say for sure.

-Joe

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the stock wireless headphones too and like them. No issues on delay or re-pairing the headphones once I did the initial setup.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the stock wireless headphones and find them comfortable without any issues or delays.

OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the replies back. Sounds like the majority just use the wireless headphones without the WM 08 module. I guess that module could be used as a backup if the headphone battery goes dead.

Lamar

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The WM08 module is used to make a wired headphone (that you supply) into wireless. That part wasn't clear to me at first.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Ones the WMO8 and the Minelab headphones have been pared then you shouldn’t have any problems.
my procedure is.
Turn on WMO8 then turn on the 800/600. Do t hold the Equinox button down or it will reboot.
When the Equinox comes to a full screen and a beeps and within seconds the screen will show headphones it and it’s pared then.
The WMO8 is for wired headphones. I use the WMO8 for wired earbuds so I can people around me and still here the detector.
Some of the aftermarket Bluetooth earpieces (take a special kind and not all will work) do take longer to par up, and up to a minute.
All this is from my own experience.
unless you have the special wired waterproof headphones and decide to use Bluetooth headphones as soon as the Equinox goes under water you will loose the signal. Bluetooth dose not work underwater.

Doug

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if I could hook up my old grey ghost head phones to the little w8box.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Wonder if I could hook up my old grey ghost head phones to the little w8box.
That should work fine.
I also with a 1/8 to. 1/4 adapter I used wired ear buds most of the time and that way I can hear everyone around me.

Doug

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had bought the Rattler version so one ear would not be covered. In the winter the wind can pick up and the ears get cold quick. I mostly use them in wind, my grey ghost that is. The Nox 800 came with a lightweight set that isn't too bad fater a few hours. Battery life is the weak spot as I like to hunt for as long as my legs and back let me. If Im finding stuff I don't quit. Only ran the batts on the nox down once and when batts get weak performance suffers. With wireless head phones, I do worry about lag. I notice my pinpointing is off by a few inches.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had bought the Rattler version so one ear would not be covered. In the winter the wind can pick up and the ears get cold quick. I mostly use them in wind, my grey ghost that is. The Nox 800 came with a lightweight set that isn't too bad fater a few hours. Battery life is the weak spot as I like to hunt for as long as my legs and back let me. If Im finding stuff I don't quit. Only ran the batts on the nox down once and when batts get weak performance suffers. With wireless head phones, I do worry about lag. I notice my pinpointing is off by a few inches.

Your experience with battery life is a lot different than mine. With my factory wireless headphones, the battery lasts longer than the detector battery, and the detector battery lasts me from dawn to dusk......a good 10+ hours. I've never noticed any "performance" degradation even when the low battery indicator is flashing. Carry a portable battery pod and charging cable with you to ease your mind if it becomes a problem. There shouldn't be any audio lag when using the factory headphones or aftermarket ones with the proper rating.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I agree , I go detecting for 6-8 hrs and have never had any problems with both the headphones or the 800 with battery power. I keep my detector in the trunk of my car and every time when I get home I just run an extension cord out to my car and charge it in the trunk. Just don’t forget to disconnect before leaving. And it’s ready to go for my next outing.

Doug

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't leave our detectors in our vehicles out here. Besides the theft issue, it just gets too hot being stored that way. I would imagine the other extreme would also have a negative effect in your area.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
We don't leave our detectors in our vehicles out here. Besides the theft issue, it just gets too hot being stored that way. I would imagine the other extreme would also have a negative effect in your area.
It’s only when I plan on going the next day. I don’t have the extreme weather like you have. Also a couple mean dogs

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your experience with battery life is a lot different than mine. With my factory wireless headphones, the battery lasts longer than the detector battery, and the detector battery lasts me from dawn to dusk......a good 10+ hours. I've never noticed any "performance" degradation even when the low battery indicator is flashing. Carry a portable battery pod and charging cable with you to ease your mind if it becomes a problem. There shouldn't be any audio lag when using the factory headphones or aftermarket ones with the proper rating.

Pretty much my experience as well. I have never run out of juice for an all day session as long as I topped both the detector and headphones off before the hunt. The headphones last longer than the detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread