Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: RANT - JUST A SMALL RANT!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    20861 times
    Metal Detecting
    EQUINOX there is no substitute
    Hawks88 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29090 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Minelab Matt, please remember we have rules on language, remember we are a family friendly forum.
    Hawks88 likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11336 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    just the cost difference alone for what you pay for and get with the Nox is crazy nice. I never expected mine to do what the more expensive Minelabs can do but it does a lot in my opinion. I was just thrilled to get a Minelab at such a price. I do like the 50 tones at this point but still learning it. I really think that someone just starting out and was using a Nox, and nothing else to distract the learning process, could get very good with it tone wise. My hunts are shorter than they used to be and my memory sucks so I struggle some with the tone's slight differences. Awesome Machine! I was thinking Granny Smith apples and Red Delicious apples, both are apples but very different in flavor and use
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    XP Deus (2019) Fisher CZ-21 (2019) CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    868 times
    I've only done a quick few practice swings with the Nox so I won't comment on that, but I do use a CTX, and would have skipped over that target.

There was nothing about it that really screamed out "DIG ME", but if I were in a cleaned out spot with little to dig.........well then maybe I would have given it a go?

Kudos for swinging two machines and trying to learn them though. When I switched from my AT Pro to my CTX, I dragged the AT Pro along for my first two hunts to help decide if the targets were worth digging or not.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    277 times
    There is no perfect detector. They all have varying uses, strengths, and weaknesses. I bought an Equinox because it seems the most well rounded. It can hunt in almost all environments where others are limited. I dug a ton of trash targets today in the hopes of finding jewelry. I didn’t find jewelry but did find clad and lead. Where I was hunting was heavily mineralized black sand that most vlf detectors can’t hunt in.

us
    Feb 2016
    Los Angeles
    Equinox 600, Minelab Safari
    292 times
    Metal Detecting
    IMO.... for whatever was going on in that particular hole, the Nox reported loud & clear, a piece of metal under its coil and the CTX didn't. The Nox was doing its job. I would question the efficiency of the CTX.
    Hawks88 and Truth1253 like this.

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    XP Deus (2019) Fisher CZ-21 (2019) CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    868 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Happa54 View Post
    IMO.... for whatever was going on in that particular hole, the Nox reported loud & clear, a piece of metal under its coil and the CTX didn't. The Nox was doing its job. I would question the efficiency of the CTX.
    I think that's what the OP's point was. The Nox rang out like a great find, and the CTX told you it was crap.

Why would you question the CTX's efficiency when it did its job?
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

Mar 2019
    Michigan
    CZ5 , Equinox 800
    23 times
    I have to agree with vferrari ,
    keep in mind that the Equinox is relatively new with new combinations of existing technologies and a couple new one's to boot . This machine nuance's will take time to understand for all of us . I remember when the CZ5 was new to me many many years ago , it took awhile , but eventually after putting some time into learning what the machine was telling me , I found that it was a good machine and it served me well . The Equinox is no different , after being use to other machines regardless of the brands and names , it will take time to learn the equinoxe's language for all of us - saying that the Equinox is garbage is just a false statement by someone who happens to love the machine their use to .
    Hawks88, dirtlooter and sprailroad like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    733 times
    Metal Detecting
    Geobound -- I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, BOTH did their job, in that video. Either one would have told me "somewhat iffy target, more likely not a nickel or ring, but possibly worth digging depending upon the site being hunted, and whether I was in the mood to reach for somewhat iffy nickel-type signals..."

Steve
    Hawks88 and sprailroad like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6038 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geobound View Post
    I think that's what the OP's point was. The Nox rang out like a great find, and the CTX told you it was crap.

Why would you question the CTX's efficiency when it did its job?
    Anyone moderately familiar with the Equinox would not consider that “[ringing] out like a great find”. The TID was unstable, audio distorted (admittedly hard to hear on the video) and depth indicated shallow target all add up to probable trash. Gold jewelry at that depth would ring up with a solid ID and a nickel would also be solid 13. That was not a “dig me” Equinox signal, sorry.

In other words, that was a very low probability keeper target signal to the experienced Equinox user just as the non-silent audio and variable visual ID signal the CTX provided would be interpreted as probable trash to the experienced CTX user.
    Last edited by vferrari; Apr 01, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    8076 times
    I love my Equinox and I do dig everything all the time. If it’s metal I’m diggin.
    Truth1253 likes this.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3690 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Anyone moderately familiar with the Equinox would not consider that “[ringing] out like a great find”. The TID was unstable, audio distorted (admittedly hard to hear on the video) and depth indicated shallow target all add up to probable trash. Gold jewelry at that depth would ring up with a solid ID and a nickel would also be solid 13. That was not a “dig me” Equinox signal, sorry.

In other words, that was a very low probability keeper target signal to the experienced Equinox user just as the non-silent audio and variable visual ID signal the CTX provided would be interpreted as probable trash to the experienced CTX user.
    Best post on this thread, hands down.

There's guys on these forums with literally thousands of hours on the CTX 3030 and they buy an Equinox....then put a few hours on it...and complain about target id ect.

There's no way around it. You have to log hours on ANY machine to truly know it and what it's trying to relay to you. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt behind any machine with my 800. Been doing it at the public spots for exactly 1 year and lets just say there have been lots of great items left behind!

The Equinox is on a higher level than mid range. ..it just gets looked at that way since it is priced accordingly. But....thats all JMO and experience so far.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11336 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    dug two signals today, both read 11. one was a junker plated ring, the other, a 10k ring. I had previously dug an 11 signal that was trash and figured that I was again digging trash, more of the first.
    Truth1253, vferrari and Hawks88 like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6528 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I wouldn't have been jazzed about digging the signal with either machine. it would be site dependent though. At the beach, it would have been scooped. In a modern urban turf area, it would have been passed over. At an old site, it reluctantly would have been dug, knowing it was probably a junk target, but, hoping for the best. We don't know the exact settings that were used for either machine, but, with the settings I use, both machines would have given me virtually the same info on that target. The FBS system gives a little more info visually, but, in this case, I don't think it would have given me a different conclusion than the Equinox's system.
    vferrari, sgoss66, Hawks88 and 1 others like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    May 2017
    Connecticut
    Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
    344 times
    I'm new to the Equinox 800 so I'm still digging most targets. But for me so far 100% of the time anything jumping from 12 to 13 has been a broken ring-tab.
    vferrari and sprailroad like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links