AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO.... for whatever was going on in that particular hole, the Nox reported loud & clear, a piece of metal under its coil and the CTX didn't. The Nox was doing its job. I would question the efficiency of the CTX.

I think that's what the OP's point was. The Nox rang out like a great find, and the CTX told you it was crap.

Why would you question the CTX's efficiency when it did its job?

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with vferrari ,
keep in mind that the Equinox is relatively new with new combinations of existing technologies and a couple new one's to boot . This machine nuance's will take time to understand for all of us . I remember when the CZ5 was new to me many many years ago , it took awhile , but eventually after putting some time into learning what the machine was telling me , I found that it was a good machine and it served me well . The Equinox is no different , after being use to other machines regardless of the brands and names , it will take time to learn the equinoxe's language for all of us - saying that the Equinox is garbage is just a false statement by someone who happens to love the machine their use to .

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geobound -- I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, BOTH did their job, in that video. Either one would have told me "somewhat iffy target, more likely not a nickel or ring, but possibly worth digging depending upon the site being hunted, and whether I was in the mood to reach for somewhat iffy nickel-type signals..."

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's what the OP's point was. The Nox rang out like a great find, and the CTX told you it was crap.

Why would you question the CTX's efficiency when it did its job?

Anyone moderately familiar with the Equinox would not consider that “[ringing] out like a great find”. The TID was unstable, audio distorted (admittedly hard to hear on the video) and depth indicated shallow target all add up to probable trash. Gold jewelry at that depth would ring up with a solid ID and a nickel would also be solid 13. That was not a “dig me” Equinox signal, sorry.

In other words, that was a very low probability keeper target signal to the experienced Equinox user just as the non-silent audio and variable visual ID signal the CTX provided would be interpreted as probable trash to the experienced CTX user.

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Equinox and I do dig everything all the time. If it’s metal I’m diggin.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone moderately familiar with the Equinox would not consider that “[ringing] out like a great find”. The TID was unstable, audio distorted (admittedly hard to hear on the video) and depth indicated shallow target all add up to probable trash. Gold jewelry at that depth would ring up with a solid ID and a nickel would also be solid 13. That was not a “dig me” Equinox signal, sorry.

In other words, that was a very low probability keeper target signal to the experienced Equinox user just as the non-silent audio and variable visual ID signal the CTX provided would be interpreted as probable trash to the experienced CTX user.

Best post on this thread, hands down.

There's guys on these forums with literally thousands of hours on the CTX 3030 and they buy an Equinox....then put a few hours on it...and complain about target id ect.

There's no way around it. You have to log hours on ANY machine to truly know it and what it's trying to relay to you. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt behind any machine with my 800. Been doing it at the public spots for exactly 1 year and lets just say there have been lots of great items left behind!

The Equinox is on a higher level than mid range. ..it just gets looked at that way since it is priced accordingly. But....thats all JMO and experience so far.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dug two signals today, both read 11. one was a junker plated ring, the other, a 10k ring. I had previously dug an 11 signal that was trash and figured that I was again digging trash, more of the first.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have been jazzed about digging the signal with either machine. it would be site dependent though. At the beach, it would have been scooped. In a modern urban turf area, it would have been passed over. At an old site, it reluctantly would have been dug, knowing it was probably a junk target, but, hoping for the best. We don't know the exact settings that were used for either machine, but, with the settings I use, both machines would have given me virtually the same info on that target. The FBS system gives a little more info visually, but, in this case, I don't think it would have given me a different conclusion than the Equinox's system.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the Equinox 800 so I'm still digging most targets. But for me so far 100% of the time anything jumping from 12 to 13 has been a broken ring-tab.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to the Equinox 800 so I'm still digging most targets. But for me so far 100% of the time anything jumping from 12 to 13 has been a broken ring-tab.

Don't rely on that screen. I've had many buffs and V's bounce from 9 to 13. I dig any deeper nickel signal that sounds consistant. Also dug a garrett carrot deep shield nickel that was bouncing around the nickel range. Just sounded good and deep.

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't rely on that screen. I've had many buffs and V's bounce from 9 to 13. I dig any deeper nickel signal that sounds consistant. Also dug a garrett carrot deep shield nickel that was bouncing around the nickel range. Just sounded good and deep.

Years ago when I started detecting I did so with a new (then) Tecknetics 9000. This detector had a meter with a needle or pointer that moved to the possible target printed on the dial. Anyway, even back then this detector produced a bunch of different tones, the highest for aluminum and silver, and the lowest for iron-if I well remember. Anyway, I found it a lot easier to listen to the sounds than to look at the meter, and found lots of silver coins in Northern NY. The next detector was a Minelab Sovereign, and again I only listened to the sounds it made, and rarely looked at the display. I will be doing the same with the Equinox since I am used to listen for faint and iffy signals. Once I get used to the sounds, I find the display distracting.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a good enough signal for me to dig with the EQ, (even if a little iffy) thinking pull-tab, but perhaps nickel or ring?. I HAVE found nickel's as low as 11. pull tabs I've dug anywhere from say 11 to 18, depending on shape and size. It always comes down to choice as to dig or not. Site also has a lot to do with it as well. I have had some really good finds digging "iffy" signals. I've never used the CTX, but have often used it's baby brother the Safari. I did notice that when switching from Field 2 to Park 1 for instance, it is my understanding that they will operate a little different, and that one should do a noise cancel and GB for each mode, but in this video it may of be no real importance. I think the two machines can run any race pretty much neck to neck, a lot may depend on the jockey. As you all know, I have other machines, but the Equinox IS the most versatile machine I've ever owned no doubt. It would seem that for the price on the 600 & 800, you do get the most bang for the buck. There are ALOT of different makes, models and brands out there, and they are all good in their own right I'd guess. I am not beating the drum for Minelab or the EQ as the ONLY machine to use, it is simply a good fit for me.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a broken ring may give a flaky reading but I would think that the tone would be the same

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have dug that signal in a skinny second. looks like the ctx was discriminating out the target. You might want to modify the CTX program to include targets like the one you dug.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a broken ring may give a flaky reading but I would think that the tone would be the same

The broken rings I've found gave a scratchy sound and the numbers were lower than what it would be if unbroken.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dug two signals today, both read 11. one was a junker plated ring, the other, a 10k ring. I had previously dug an 11 signal that was trash and figured that I was again digging trash, more of the first.

The broken rings I've found had a scratchy sound and read lower than what they would normally read if unbroken.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All metal mode will often give grunts on those tabs. You can also play around with different frequencies as a checker too.

OP
OP
Minelab Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a local beach yesterday.

Jackson's Bay, Barry (Wales, UK)

Dug approx 25 holes...3 bits of lead, rest were ring pulls and bottle caps..ARGGH!!

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread