Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: RANT - JUST A SMALL RANT!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3693 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ripvanb View Post
    I'm new to the Equinox 800 so I'm still digging most targets. But for me so far 100% of the time anything jumping from 12 to 13 has been a broken ring-tab.
    Don't rely on that screen. I've had many buffs and V's bounce from 9 to 13. I dig any deeper nickel signal that sounds consistant. Also dug a garrett carrot deep shield nickel that was bouncing around the nickel range. Just sounded good and deep.

us
    Oct 2018
    Alaska
    Sovereign Equinox
    40 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    Don't rely on that screen. I've had many buffs and V's bounce from 9 to 13. I dig any deeper nickel signal that sounds consistant. Also dug a garrett carrot deep shield nickel that was bouncing around the nickel range. Just sounded good and deep.
    Years ago when I started detecting I did so with a new (then) Tecknetics 9000. This detector had a meter with a needle or pointer that moved to the possible target printed on the dial. Anyway, even back then this detector produced a bunch of different tones, the highest for aluminum and silver, and the lowest for iron-if I well remember. Anyway, I found it a lot easier to listen to the sounds than to look at the meter, and found lots of silver coins in Northern NY. The next detector was a Minelab Sovereign, and again I only listened to the sounds it made, and rarely looked at the display. I will be doing the same with the Equinox since I am used to listen for faint and iffy signals. Once I get used to the sounds, I find the display distracting.
    sprailroad and dirtlooter like this.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2917 times
    It was a good enough signal for me to dig with the EQ, (even if a little iffy) thinking pull-tab, but perhaps nickel or ring?. I HAVE found nickel's as low as 11. pull tabs I've dug anywhere from say 11 to 18, depending on shape and size. It always comes down to choice as to dig or not. Site also has a lot to do with it as well. I have had some really good finds digging "iffy" signals. I've never used the CTX, but have often used it's baby brother the Safari. I did notice that when switching from Field 2 to Park 1 for instance, it is my understanding that they will operate a little different, and that one should do a noise cancel and GB for each mode, but in this video it may of be no real importance. I think the two machines can run any race pretty much neck to neck, a lot may depend on the jockey. As you all know, I have other machines, but the Equinox IS the most versatile machine I've ever owned no doubt. It would seem that for the price on the 600 & 800, you do get the most bang for the buck. There are ALOT of different makes, models and brands out there, and they are all good in their own right I'd guess. I am not beating the drum for Minelab or the EQ as the ONLY machine to use, it is simply a good fit for me.
    dirtlooter and sgoss66 like this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11353 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    a broken ring may give a flaky reading but I would think that the tone would be the same
    sprailroad likes this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    4190 times
    I would have dug that signal in a skinny second. looks like the ctx was discriminating out the target. You might want to modify the CTX program to include targets like the one you dug.
    CoinFetcher likes this.
    Dig till you drop!

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6531 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    a broken ring may give a flaky reading but I would think that the tone would be the same
    The broken rings I've found gave a scratchy sound and the numbers were lower than what it would be if unbroken.
    sprailroad likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6531 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    dug two signals today, both read 11. one was a junker plated ring, the other, a 10k ring. I had previously dug an 11 signal that was trash and figured that I was again digging trash, more of the first.
    The broken rings I've found had a scratchy sound and read lower than what they would normally read if unbroken.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3693 times
    Metal Detecting
    All metal mode will often give grunts on those tabs. You can also play around with different frequencies as a checker too.
    ripvanb likes this.

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    328 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Went to a local beach yesterday.

Jackson's Bay, Barry (Wales, UK)

Dug approx 25 holes...3 bits of lead, rest were ring pulls and bottle caps..ARGGH!!

Matt

Feb 2017
    Pa
    3693 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm confused.

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    1163 times
    I will bet dollars to doughnuts that that is an upgraded Nox. Solid 13s are usually nickels.The CTX is THE master of TID and has great discrimination.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2917 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Minelab Matt View Post
    Went to a local beach yesterday.

Jackson's Bay, Barry (Wales, UK)

Dug approx 25 holes...3 bits of lead, rest were ring pulls and bottle caps..ARGGH!!

Matt
    Well....when I have some days like that, if anyone should ask, (anything good?) I tell them not really, it's more like I'm preforming a community service removing trash. There are times it sure feels that way.

ca
    Feb 2014
    Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
    AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sprailroad View Post
    Well....when I have some days like that, if anyone should ask, (anything good?) I tell them not really, it's more like I'm preforming a community service removing trash. There are times it sure feels that way.
    It's technically true. Nobody else it out there gathering up trash. In fact most people are leaving more behind.

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    328 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Now I'm really peed off...arm cup broke, sent it off to place i bought it from...2 weeks later...still no arm cup!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2014
    NM
    CTX 3030 Raptor c-31 digger 31" Lesche Sampson Periscope Probe.
    2390 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minelab Matt View Post
    Now I'm really peed off...arm cup broke, sent it off to place i bought it from...2 weeks later...still no arm cup!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm curious why you didn't call Minelab, they would have sent you a new one right away.
    Minelab Matt likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links