Nox 800, i'm befuddled

Merovee

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got this from "Doc's" and have just been using it a bit in the yard, with some puzzling results. Mainly... I got a couple/few TID's in the 38-40 range, using Park 1 and, there seems to be nothing there lol, also found the same targets with the gold setting btw. I'm moving the targets around, and I'll think I've found it with the pinpointer, in my hand... and there's literally nothing in my hand after sifting through it. I've also found bunch of glittery specks, which look yellow, bet it's mica though. There's nothing that small that could trigger ID's like that is there? User error? I mean I found a couple nails, but nothing that should be in that high of a range. I'm feeling a bit silly asking this, but any suggestions appreciated.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet and welcome to metal detecting.
Sometimes the target leaves a halo of decomposed metal in the ground, like a nail that’s rusted away. You get a target but there is nothing to find essentially.
Other times it could be tiny aluminum chain links that have come apart from a digger’s shovel that you’re chasing but can’t seem to find. There are many reasons for this. The park 1 and park 2 IDing differently is normal.
Hang in there, ask questions and eventually it will all start to make sense. Good luck!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, halos can drive you nuts if you let them. also mess with pin pointers making the whole hole appear to be a target. lead bird shot can be hard for bad eyes like mine to find in the wetter dirt. shredded foil can be very small and do the same thing. can slaw can be very small too and give you higher readings. not sure about a busted silver necklace or bracelet

OP
OP
M

Merovee

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, for the kind responses. Halos eh? Well I'll be darned, never heard of em. Ok that's a reasonable possibility, but with a target id of 38-40??? Doesn't that necessarily have to be something BIG? Hey what's the target id for plutonium -ok not funny. Thanks all

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, for the kind responses. Halos eh? Well I'll be darned, never heard of em. Ok that's a reasonable possibility, but with a target id of 38-40??? Doesn't that necessarily have to be something BIG? Hey what's the target id for plutonium -ok not funny. Thanks all

Yeah, those super high VDI’s pop up at really trashy areas for me or possibly an underground pipe. I think a silver dollar rings up at 34-35, a Walker half at 31-32, silver spoon 28-31. I would pass on those high ones. 99.99 percent trash. Keep it up!

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also been getting the occasional high pitched upper 30's, 40 number and just figured it was an EMI burst or something. I forgot all about the "halo of decomposed metal" thing. That makes more sense, especially when its repeatable.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with very deep big metal such as a big pipe or big piece of iron I've dug down over a foot and realized it has to be something huge down there and quickly fill my hole and move on

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, those super high VDI’s pop up at really trashy areas for me or possibly an underground pipe. I think a silver dollar rings up at 34-35, a Walker half at 31-32, silver spoon 28-31. I would pass on those high ones. 99.99 percent trash. Keep it up!
Found my great seal button running park 2 custom settings and got a steady 37. Thought it was trash but decided to dig. Glad I did.

Godownswingin

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta get out and swing, dig and repeat to learn what a valid high tone sounds like. I must have close to 100 hours with my 600 and am just starting to grasp the ear "feel" of a what a good repeatable round signal sounds like.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just knew that I had a silver dollar finally cornered, it was deep and sounded good and was reading 35. nope, jointed piece of pipe but it was a pretty day today to be digging pipe. As a young man, I was out one night with several others listening to a bunch of dogs in the distance as they trailed a coon. These guys knew who's dog was doing what but it all sounded like a mess to me at the time. A trained ear takes a while to get

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just knew that I had a silver dollar finally cornered, it was deep and sounded good and was reading 35. nope, jointed piece of pipe but it was a pretty day today to be digging pipe. As a young man, I was out one night with several others listening to a bunch of dogs in the distance as they trailed a coon. These guys knew who's dog was doing what but it all sounded like a mess to me at the time. A trained ear takes a while to get
YEP!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found my great seal button running park 2 custom settings and got a steady 37. Thought it was trash but decided to dig. Glad I did.

That must have been an awesome surprise. Well, I wonder what other great keepers are found in the 37-40 range? I guess I did have one good find that was like 39-40, it was a flattened Victorian silver brush, not deep.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A test garden in your yard will help ALOT put some coins some pop tops nails and learn the sounds if its a pipe deep you can lift your coil 7 to 8 inches and if its still strong its a deep big target. practice my friend Tommy

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First thing I do when I get a wrap around type of signal is raise my coil up and see where the signal starts to fade away. If its still banging a foot above the dirt and almost pegging the vdi scale I pass. If it fades sharply a few inches off the ground and the signal sounds sharp and pinpoints fairly small i dive into the dirt!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A test garden....1st need a back hoe to dig out a big area to bring dirt in to make test garden out of. I live at the base of a mountain where most of the good soil was washed down to Louisiana a long time ago. Now if you wanted a rock garden, I got them all sizes with a smattering of red clay thrown in. There is no grass to mow, now the weedeaters see a lot of action. it is what it is LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread