Any 6” coil tips?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By CarsonChris
  • 2 Post By dirtlooter
  • 4 Post By Nicksan
  • 5 Post By vferrari
  • 1 Post By Hawks88
  • 1 Post By Nicksan
  • 2 Post By A2coins

Thread: Any 6” coil tips?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    733 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Any 6” coil tips?

I’m expecting my new 6” coil tomorrow. Do you run your settings any different with the 6” coil than you do with the stock coil?

I have a high trash lots of iron site I’ve pulled some wheats and a Merc from that I want to give the 6” a shot at.
    Hawks88 and A2coins like this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    13021 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    have fun, not sure about the high iron part, time will tell
    Hawks88 and A2coins like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Diggin It All

Nov 2005
    So. Cal.
    Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones Lesche
    113 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by CarsonChris View Post
    I’m expecting my new 6” coil tomorrow. Do you run your settings any different with the 6” coil than you do with the stock coil?

I have a high trash lots of iron site I’ve pulled some wheats and a Merc from that I want to give the 6” a shot at.
    Yes, Lower your recovery speed to 1 or 2 and slow your sweep speed. I did that with the 6" coil and its much easier to pick out targets.

Also, Disc out everything up to 1 if you want to minimize iron signals.
    Last edited by Nicksan; Apr 02, 2019 at 09:53 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6833 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksan View Post
    Yes, Lower your recovery speed to 1 or 2 and slow your sweep speed. I did that with the 6" coil and its much easier to pick out targets.

Also, Disc out everything up to 1 if you want to minimize iron signals.
    Note that the recommended recovery speed settings above are for the 600, I wouldn't go much below 4 on the 800 (equivalent of 2 on the 600) if you are in thick trash/iron because you still want to take advantage of separation with the small coil which is still driven by recovery speed, but the lower recovery speed helps counter the limited depth of the 6 inch coil (so does raising sensitivity, which you can also get away with with that coil as it us less susceptible to picking up EMI). Bottom line is that no one setting fiis all situations, so you may have to a little experimentation to see what combination of recovery speed and sensitivity works best for your specific site considering site condtions, trash, iron, and your primary targets of interest.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600
    11766 times
    I believe what Nicksan said is a great starting point for using the 6” coil in a trashy area. I don’t disc anything out though. After awhile you get to know the better signals. Good luck and enjoy.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Diggin It All

Nov 2005
    So. Cal.
    Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones Lesche
    113 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Note that the recommended recovery speed settings above are for the 600, I wouldn't go much below 4 on the 800 (equivalent of 2 on the 600) if you are in thick trash/iron because you still want to take advantage of separation with the small coil which is still driven by recovery speed, but the lower recovery speed helps counter the limited depth of the 6 inch coil (so does raising sensitivity, which you can also get away with with that coil as it us less susceptible to picking up EMI). Bottom line is that no one setting fiis all situations, so you may have to a little experimentation to see what combination of recovery speed and sensitivity works best for your specific site considering site condtions, trash, iron, and your primary targets of interest.
    OOps forgot to mention that. Thanks for clearing that up.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    32056 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I would turn up the sensitivty for sure if its not too trashy
    Hawks88 and CarsonChris like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Sponsored Links