So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m expecting my new 6” coil tomorrow. Do you run your settings any different with the 6” coil than you do with the stock coil?

I have a high trash lots of iron site I’ve pulled some wheats and a Merc from that I want to give the 6” a shot at.

Yes, Lower your recovery speed to 1 or 2 and slow your sweep speed. I did that with the 6" coil and its much easier to pick out targets. :thumbsup:

Also, Disc out everything up to 1 if you want to minimize iron signals.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Lower your recovery speed to 1 or 2 and slow your sweep speed. I did that with the 6" coil and its much easier to pick out targets. :thumbsup:

Also, Disc out everything up to 1 if you want to minimize iron signals.

Note that the recommended recovery speed settings above are for the 600, I wouldn't go much below 4 on the 800 (equivalent of 2 on the 600) if you are in thick trash/iron because you still want to take advantage of separation with the small coil which is still driven by recovery speed, but the lower recovery speed helps counter the limited depth of the 6 inch coil (so does raising sensitivity, which you can also get away with with that coil as it us less susceptible to picking up EMI). Bottom line is that no one setting fiis all situations, so you may have to a little experimentation to see what combination of recovery speed and sensitivity works best for your specific site considering site condtions, trash, iron, and your primary targets of interest.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe what Nicksan said is a great starting point for using the 6” coil in a trashy area. I don’t disc anything out though. After awhile you get to know the better signals. Good luck and enjoy.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note that the recommended recovery speed settings above are for the 600, I wouldn't go much below 4 on the 800 (equivalent of 2 on the 600) if you are in thick trash/iron because you still want to take advantage of separation with the small coil which is still driven by recovery speed, but the lower recovery speed helps counter the limited depth of the 6 inch coil (so does raising sensitivity, which you can also get away with with that coil as it us less susceptible to picking up EMI). Bottom line is that no one setting fiis all situations, so you may have to a little experimentation to see what combination of recovery speed and sensitivity works best for your specific site considering site condtions, trash, iron, and your primary targets of interest.

OOps forgot to mention that. Thanks for clearing that up.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would turn up the sensitivty for sure if its not too trashy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread