Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, 1st target was a clad quarter, second was a memorial and then a clad dime and then another memorial before any real junk. I was listening to tones for those but there is so many 14-19 signals that I dug a few anyways. I plan to dig these somewhere along the way, just not so much today. I dug several lower tones that were from 9 to 11 but they were all trash. dug a corroded piece of fence?. Then dug a pretty deep good tone that I was beginning to wonder if it was iron (yes, dug several) but finally found it, another clad quarter at 6-8 inches. I was pleasantly surprised to dig that quarter at that depth.

So, those coins were in an area that we have hit numerous times so it was good to be able to pick them out. I wanted to hunt more but my left knee was killing me and I was actually pretty hot. The sun came out for today but will be gone for the next three as the rains come back. in the back of my mind, I was a little worried about how much depth I was giving up but the little coil did pretty darn good. Some of the iron I dug, I was pretty sure it was going to be iron. This was an area that had a lot of trash and a lot of those one time hits that you can't find again. I had one signal, was listening to the tone and it was a 16 or a 17 but the tone sounded a little better than a pull tab. I am feeling pretty certain that it is not a tab and hopefully a ring. Well, it was a ring alright, a pullring minus the beavertail LOL. So you can say that all in all, I am feeling pretty good about the purchase. And yes, it will slow you down to actually cover any ground

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright:Glad to hear you had a good experience on your maiden voyage with the 6" coil. That rain coming sounds like good news to me. Should really make those targets sing and always makes digging easier. I love to hunt the next day or two after some rain. This coil makes that already lightweight Equinox feel even lighter doesn't it? I am sure you will do well with that coil. Get an extra lower rod and it makes switching coils very easy and efficient. I did this when hunting the High School where I found the jewelry that I posted. I used the small coil in the tot-lots and put the stock one back on for the big open grassy areas.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m looking at my new 6”coil right now. Just got home and opened the mail. I have a place all picked out for Monday night. Right where I found my only Merc. I’ve gone to the same 20’ square spot 4 times and found coins every time. The coins are mixed in with garbage and iron. Hope the 6” gives me an edge. The area also has lots of EMI. Hope the small coil can hunt there!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dirtlooter, good job on your first outing with the 6". It's funny that you mention the 16/17 that you dug "because it sounded a little better." I have done that very same thing on several of those; I usually don't dig 16s and 17s (and hence why I NEVER dig gold), but every once in awhile I'll say "hey, that sounds better to me than the average 16 or 17 target; that sounds round and ring-like..." And then, I dig it, and sure enough, it's a RING...……tab.

LOL!

Anyway, NICE JOB!

Steve

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dirtlooter, good job on your first outing with the 6". It's funny that you mention the 16/17 that you dug "because it sounded a little better." I have done that very same thing on several of those; I usually don't dig 16s and 17s (and hence why I NEVER dig gold), but every once in awhile I'll say "hey, that sounds better to me than the average 16 or 17 target; that sounds round and ring-like..." And then, I dig it, and sure enough, it's a RING...……tab.

LOL!

Anyway, NICE JOB!

Steve

I was doing better at tone digging a couple of years ago but curiosity always gets the best of me and i look anyways. I dug several mid range tones, hoping for jewelry but it was all trash...so far. This is close to where we dug the 4 sets of WWII dogtags so I will still dig most of those 15-19 signals just not all right now. I have dug tabs/rings from 12 to 21 here. not all soda can pulls but still pulls. the beaver tails by themselves hit different too. in this place, depends on the day but I will dig 15-20 of those signals and then skip them until the next trip, they ain't going anywhere LOL. I dug a couple modern lead bullets, about 38 cal at about 5-6 inches. At this point I can't complain about the depth. you getting rained out over there?

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m looking at my new 6”coil right now. Just got home and opened the mail. I have a place all picked out for Monday night. Right where I found my only Merc. I’ve gone to the same 20’ square spot 4 times and found coins every time. The coins are mixed in with garbage and iron. Hope the 6” gives me an edge. The area also has lots of EMI. Hope the small coil can hunt there!

You may still have to clear out some of the trash but you should notice a difference over the big coil. Good luck on finding more silver, hopefully some good silver that you never thought possible. it can happen, trust me. Nothing like realizing what you have just dug and it is for real! I was using recovery speed of 2 on my 600 as suggested by I think ZR2guy. go slow and check out those signals that are repeatable and faint especially. You will love it and should find some more good stuff in that spot and places like it. Jerry

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my 6 inch coil out for the second time today. I found 15 clads and wheaties in a spot that has been allegedly cleaned out. There’s silver there, I’m sure of it, I just ran out of time. My first hunt with the little guy produced an IHP within the first 30 seconds! The 6 inch coil is a great tool to have hanging on your tool belt, great first hunt dirtlooter, you’ll pick out the treasure from the trash with that coil without a doubt!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, more rain here. It's been wet, for Oklahoma, the last 6 months or so. The dirt is totally saturated, down as deep as you can dig...

I do that same thing -- I dig some low- to mid-tones at some point in most every hunt, and then give up on them and focus on coins, until the next time... :) ONE day, I'll get that ever-elusive gold ring. Digging gold, away from a beach, sure is a needle-in-a-haystack proposition, in my experience!

Steve

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, more rain here. It's been wet, for Oklahoma, the last 6 months or so. The dirt is totally saturated, down as deep as you can dig...

I do that same thing -- I dig some low- to mid-tones at some point in most every hunt, and then give up on them and focus on coins, until the next time... :) ONE day, I'll get that ever-elusive gold ring. Digging gold, away from a beach, sure is a needle-in-a-haystack proposition, in my experience!

Steve

yeah, gold is harder to come by away from beaches. I found five gold rings in one month a couple of years ago, all from school property. my gold this year was not but still surprised me. yeah, saturated ground here, the rain doesn't go away very quickly as it hangs around like a lake. But people lose stuff everywhere just some places like beaches or swimming holes do better. most of the beaches within a hundred miles of me are off limits to detecting. find any spanish silver your way? odds are kind of slim for us on that too. Jerry

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8A3A30EF-C954-4374-AED4-82BAF72D5563.jpeg
You may still have to clear out some of the trash but you should notice a difference over the big coil. Good luck on finding more silver, hopefully some good silver that you never thought possible. it can happen, trust me. Nothing like realizing what you have just dug and it is for real! I was using recovery speed of 2 on my 600 as suggested by I think ZR2guy. go slow and check out those signals that are repeatable and faint especially. You will love it and should find some more good stuff in that spot and places like it. Jerry

I didn’t find anything in that small patch but did find a lot nearby. Found my first teeth with gold fillings, and my first half dollar, 34/35 VID! The 6” coil seemed to have a tighter VID on targets than the 11” coil. It really sings when it hits a coin.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pile C.C.! Never found teeth either, wow. Is that a .22 hornet case, maybe a older .22 wcf.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it does look like one

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Didn't have but about thirty minutes to hunt today, too many things going on. but managed one lonely nickle, a solid 13. was in a hurry but still managed to dig 3 cans, a 30 carbine brass, and some odd shaped old brass. I passed up several solid targets because I was in a hurry, they will still be there. you can flat get pretty tight on a target with the little coil.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to get one someday I loved the one on my At pro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread