Minelab Equinox 15 inch coil honest opinions wanted.

Is the 15inch Coil deeper on the beach?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, my father and I both have an Equinox 800.

My father bought the 15" coil and he's away for a few days, so i'm thinking of trying it out on the beach.

My question is not about more coverage, but depth.

Is the 15" coil truly much deeper than the standard Equinox coil on the beach?

I will be wet sand and dry sand hunting, not water hunting.

cheers
Matt

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the one I use for that type of hunting. It's not a lot deeper than the 11", but, enough to make a difference sometimes. I use it mainly for coverage and the extra depth is just a bonus. Unless the area is extremely junky, there's no penalty for using the big coil, unless the slight extra weight is a factor, so, why not use it?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Cuda said, perhaps an inch deeper if that under ideal conditions, the main advantage is swing coverage without a significant weight penalty. And although it can reliably detect tiny isolated targets, it tends to get overloaded in highly dense target/junk situations or in highly mineralized dirt. I revert to the stock coil or even the 6-inch coil in those situations.

Last edited:

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 11" reads a foot or more all the time but its usually trash that deep

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 15 in and honestly haven't noticed a vast improvement in depth versus the stock coil. The weight for me is no issue, but the extra coverage is a big plus when you're hunting a wide open area. As far as sensitivity goes, I was getting hits on as small of items as I was hitting with the 11 inch coil at a civil war site. It did struggle in extremely iron laden areas at this place.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like it for coverage of course and I always get better clearer depth on recovery speed 4 in my ground which is mild.

No idea about beach

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a attack 15 coil for 2 years covers alot of area you WILL lose depth on dime size targets I would suggest you call Nel or another coil manufacturer they will say the same and help you get a coil for your specific needs

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a attack 15 coil for 2 years covers alot of area you WILL lose depth on dime size targets I would suggest you call Nel or another coil manufacturer they will say the same and help you get a coil for your specific needs

Tommy - at present there are no third party manufacturers making coils for Equinox, only the 3 ML OEM coils, 6-inch round, 11-inch round (stock coil), and 12x15-inch elliptical which is the coil the OP is referring to and it does not appear to lose any depth even on very small targets based on what users (including myself) are reporting. Thanks for linking to the Garrett coil information page, I have often referred to it. Useful generic info.

garviso8

Aug 10, 2014
hialeah fl
Detector(s) used
minelab safari/cz-21 /bounty hunter quick draw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think it puts stress on your coil bracket on your shaft causing it to break easier

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Same depth.
all the signal are the same no matter what coil you use.

OP
OP
Minelab Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sold it......went back to stock 11" coil.

Results....targets much harder to pinpoint and ZERO depth increase with big coil.

Matt

mossy99

Greenie
May 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the 15 inch coil good for ground coverage on clean open pasture. On the beach where the sand is highly mineralised and lots of small trashy items are in abundance, I found it hard work compared to the stock coil. It felt " ungainly " if that"s the right word and it seemed harder to swing low and slow with a distinct loss of balance. Maybe it"s me being a bit picky but for the money I reckon it"s not top value. Stock coil is a perfect match for me. [ each to their own ]

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always use the 15" coil. It's extremely sensitive, deep and covers a big area. I find it well worth the money

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent used it on the beach but one time. So cant comment on that. But I have had the big coil on my 600 for the better part of a year and it has done very well. Coverage wise its obviously going to cover a lot more ground. Ice noticed my friends swinging faster to try and cover ground since I suck up finds so much quicker. Had an 11 silver day recently with the big coil. My PB yet.

As far as depth, it does go deeper. I know for a fact. My friends and I had a spot we used to hit and had hit it with many machines. When the equinoxs came, they did a great job finding deep silver. When the big coil came I found a barber dime and a walker half in 10 minutes in an area that has been swung over at least 50 times. Closer to 100.

That walker was at least 12 inches deep. Never heard it on any other machine.

Yes the big coil is harder to pinpoint but you get used to it. I use the Red M in the minelab logo for reference. When I hear the target, I look where the Red M is and the targets just about under that.

Over all the coil is worth it for coverage and like someone else said, the depth is a bonus. Its easy to over lap swings, no need to rush the coil, let it do its job and start digging 2x or 3x the amount of targets.

Lastly, it's very sensitive to small targets. Lead, brass, silver. It cant hide.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you one thing my 15 inch coil snaked a cannonball 3 feet down last week and I’m also very surprised of how it’ll hit very small targets

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was hoping there was someone out there working on 800 coils....always good to have a variety from different to choose from.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hoping for a 17 0r 18" coil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread