Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, but some "vet wrap" would help. I wrap my handle in vet wrap -- you might try it and see how it works for you...

Steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my new Nox 800 to the beach and I found 53 cents in total. Nothing deep and nothing you could not find with any other MD. The only thing I did not like was my hand kept sweating holding the handle. Maybe it was just me???? Has anyone else been having this problem?

What mode and settings were you using?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, where were you hunting? 53 cents seems par for the course for random dry sand hunting.

Since you also own a CZ-21, you must know the very wet sand along the tide line and ankle deep water or deeper surf is where the Equinox excels. Places where most other non-multifrequency detectors run unstable or their gains have to be turned down so much you lose appreciable depth. Is that where you recovered your clad? If so, not just any detector can work those areas and run stable.

Those just hunting dry sand are at the mercy of recent drops and beachgoer traffic and those targets are snatched up pretty quickly because of the simple fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harriet can hit that part of the beach with a Walmart battery on a stick and find the day's dropped clad.

You probably already know this, but for the benefit of others, you want to score big ticket targets and take advantage of the Equinox's stability and depth in salt water you need to either find significantly eroded parts of the beach at low tide due to storm surf action or get in the water and take your lumps. Most jewelry is not lost on the dry sand towel line where most any detector can go, but in the water when fingers and wrists shrink when entering the cold surf or earrings and necklaces get knocked of folks by wave action.

I always wear nitril close fitting gloves when detecting. They give you tactile feel so you can still operate the buttons on the detector or even your phone, allow you to have a firm, non-slip grip on your detector and scoop/shovel, and protect your hands from shards of glass or metal edges during target recovery. Your hands will still sweat or get wet, but you won't lose your grip.

HTH.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear cheap jersey gloves all year round so no sweat problem. You know, the little brown kind most convenience stores handle.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hands are about the only thing that doesn't sweat when I'm detecting! :laughing7:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh no, now the Equinox bashers will remind us they never even came with handle coolers! Wonder if an update can straighten this out?

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to wrap my handles with vet wrap, now I use a tacky tennis handle grip wrap.... I wear gloves when I hunt so I don't have a problem with my hands getting sweaty, they are a little ripe after six or seven hours of hunting in hot weather :-)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach 1 but not sure what that has to do with sweating hands?

It has to do with the other comments you made about finding $.53 and nothing deep. I thought you might want some tips for deeper targets.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. Thanks for all the info. V your the man. Thanks guys.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t wear a glove on the hand holding the equinox and haven’t experienced any sweating. Maybe it will happen in the summer.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I totally agree with Vferrari when he says:

"I always wear nitril close fitting gloves when detecting. They give you tactile feel so you can still operate the buttons on the detector or even your phone, allow you to have a firm, non-slip grip on your detector and scoop/shovel, and protect your hands from shards of glass or metal edges during target recovery. Your hands will still sweat or get wet, but you won't lose your grip."

I strongly suggest you wear gloves while detecting the beach. You'll not have the sweaty hands on the handle problem but you just never know what's in that hole you're reaching into. I've pulled out everything you can think of that can punch a hole in your hand....glass, pins, sharp metal, fish hooks, knives, forks...just all kind of junk like that.

I wouldn't even consider hunting any beach without both foot and hand protection...period.

Just the view from my foxhole....

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 10 pack of really nice fitted gloves at Costco for 7.99usd