Fresh water lake gives 12 fine chains

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I spent the night hunting a fresh water lake which is considered to be empty after many years of detecting by all kinds of detectors.

The chains are all quite fine. 4 of them are silver while the other 8 are all fakes. None are gold. I do want to think that there are gold chains still left there.

Most of these fine chains were displaying 1 and or 2 as ID.

I was using these settings. The question is: should I tweak them somewhat to get better results? There are still many signals left in that "empty" lake. I didnt have a single coin or a ring

Equinox 800.

Parc 2. Multi frequency. Manual ground balance. Recovery 2. Iron bias 2. Signal break -2. I was literally digging every -2 signal or higher. Higher pitch from -2 to 20.

What would you guys recommend? Would gold 1/gold 2 mode go deeper for hypothetical gold chains/bracelets?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the gold chains, I'd use the Gold modes if they will run stable. If not, I find Field 2 is more sensitive to small gold than Park 2.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing the info and congrats on the 12 fine chains.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job cleaning out the hunted out waters! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Another thing is: I was worried that my nox wouldnt be as deep as 10" exclalibur for rings and coins. That was a wrong assumption from my part. If sufficient recovery speed is sacrificed (like rec 2-3) and with some other minor adjustments the nox can easily challenge the exclalibur for rings/coins

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the gold chains, I'd use the Gold modes if they will run stable. If not, I find Field 2 is more sensitive to small gold than Park 2.

Can depend on shape of good as far as which between park 2 and field 2 gives strongest signal. Park 2 likes cylindrical shape better than field 2 generally. Thinner finds field 2 seems better.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm not the only one wondering what settings to use. I still go to sites and wonder, when I'm done for the day, if I had the machine set up to its maximum capacity. Did I miss something that could have been found at a different setting? Is it possible to find everything out there with just one setting? The 800, so far, has been great and I'm finding lots of stuff. But then again, so was my Excalibur (I do think the 800 has the edge). The settings though for the 800 remind me of old school photography with film speeds, F stops and aperture settings.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I guess I'm not the only one wondering what settings to use. I still go to sites and wonder, when I'm done for the day, if I had the machine set up to its maximum capacity. Did I miss something that could have been found at a different setting? Is it possible to find everything out there with just one setting? The 800, so far, has been great and I'm finding lots of stuff. But then again, so was my Excalibur (I do think the 800 has the edge). The settings though for the 800 remind me of old school photography with film speeds, F stops and aperture settings.

Heres the thing: "the old school photography" still applies to modern cameras as well. Just not to that pathetic excuse of a camera found in one's iphone or samsung galaxy or so. Good semi pro or pro cameras still require the user to know what he is doing. Where he is doing it. And finally what the expectations are.

The nox is the same. You should know what every setting does, what a combination of settings do, how to apply all that to one specific place (whether its a lake, a field, a forest or anything else). The nox requires your brain to function all the time if you want the right results. Its that simple.

Is it possible to find everything out there with just one setting?

Absolutely not.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta learn as you go I'm using park one alot

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta learn as you go I'm using park one alot

Park 1 isn't all that good for small gold. It's makeup is better for high conductors like silver and copper.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Park 1 isn't all that good for small gold. It's makeup is better for high conductors like silver and copper.

Park 2 is indeed way better. Field 2 is good for fine gold as well but unfortunately it tends to show negative numbers like min 5 or so.

And the gold 2 more is still uncharted territory for me77

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park 2 is indeed way better. Field 2 is good for fine gold as well but unfortunately it tends to show negative numbers like min 5 or so.

And the gold 2 more is still uncharted territory for me77

You can reassign those lower numbers with a different pitch and/or volume (even silent if you want), so, that isn't really an issue.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
You can reassign those lower numbers with a different pitch and/or volume (even silent if you want), so, that isn't really an issue.

Yes I know but it would make me dig lots more iron which is quite plentiful in my lakes :/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread