Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Deepest silver yet with Nox

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3698 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by feral-silence View Post
    The coin was probably on edge. The Nox still has issues with this, even after the latest firmware update.

Yup. The Nox is a dig-all machine. I've dug silver I would have sworn was just a bent nail. Odd blips and blurps with high tones and VDI going from 12 -> 31. Cycling through the different frequencies and swinging over the target can sometimes help identify if it's truly junk or a potential good target. But, honestly, dig everything.
    You need more time on the Equinox. Dig it all, huh? Lol. You guys crack me up.

That quarter was probably a 10" deep target. Any machine on the market would behave the same.....or worse! Simply because of the big chunk of Ferrous sleeping with Lady Liberty.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand and vferrari like this.

Jul 2012
    Tn
    2- Xp Deus, Minelab XS Explorer, Nokta Impact, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Etrac, Nokta Anfibio Multi, Tarsacci MDT-8000
    803 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nice find.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6077 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post

That quarter was probably a 10" deep target. Any machine on the market would behave the same.....or worse! Simply because of the big chunk of Ferrous sleeping with Lady Liberty.
    My thoughts exactly. If it was on-edge, which is distinct possibility, it is actually an impressive performance by Equinox given that 2x2 ferrous chunk in the hole and the other ferrous that was pulled out in the process. But I give most of the credit to PA DIRT for not giving up on the target after all that iron was coming out of the hole. Persistence pays off and it also pays to play those hunches. Plenty of iffy signals by Equinox have given my just that one blip that says, keep digging and find out what this is and it has paid off more often than not.
    Last edited by vferrari; Apr 16, 2019 at 10:33 PM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    23967 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Glad you kept goin well done that nox is deep for sure gotta love it.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Mar 2019
    Albany, GA
    Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Minelab Pro-Find 35.
    41 times

And you know how much time I have on my Nox how? haha Not being rude, but I've probably well over 300 hours on the thing. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nox, but it is a dig-all machine. You never know what's going to come out of the ground with it. Different soil types, moisture levels, etc. all yield different tones and VDI readings with pretty much any detector. But the Nox is very rarely VDI accurate if the soil types are different. IHPs will register 19-20 in sand/dark soil, but 23-24 like a wheatie in red clay. Just an example. South GA goes from sand to organic-rich dark soil to stick-to-your-everything red clay. I've experience in it all and can tell you now that if you don't dig it all, you'll miss good targets.
    Last edited by feral-silence; Apr 17, 2019 at 12:02 PM.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3698 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by feral-silence View Post
    And you know how much time I have on my Nox how? haha Not being rude, but I've probably well over 300 hours on the thing. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nox, but it is a dig-all machine. You never know what's going to come out of the ground with it. Different soil types, moisture levels, etc. all yield different tones and VDI readings with pretty much any detector. But the Nox is very rarely VDI accurate if the soil types are different. IHPs will register 19-20 in sand/dark soil, but 23-24 like a wheatie in red clay. Just an example. South GA goes from sand to organic-rich dark soil to stick-to-your-everything red clay. I've experience in it all and can tell you now that if you don't dig it all, you'll miss good targets.
    What machine doesn't produce sporadic VDI's on an IHP? They ring up all over the place. The 800 is easily the most efficient cherry picker I've used so far.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    696 times
    What machine doesn't produce sporadic VDI's on an IHP? They ring up all over the place. The 800 is easily the most efficient cherry picker I've used so far.
    Same for me too. I'm hunting a 220 acre park that I've hunted for 35 years. I've been hunting in Park 1/50 tones, and can tell 90%+ of the time if it's a crown cap or even an aluminum wine cap now. 50 tones enables me to hear the "warbles" and "whoop-de-doos" given by the junk targets that plague the park, even at depth. I am thoroughly impressed by the Equinox 800. I've only had mine since January and have dug 11 silver dimes, 4 buffs, and a quite a large handful of wheat cents. The difference? Excellent discrimination at depth. I'm finding coins deeper than my Tesoro Sidewinder, or AT Pro with 5x8 coil could even go. The 800 TRULY has opened up the park again for me, with the deeper targets. They said the AT Pro would do that, not so much for me. Hunting with the 8-1/2 x 11 coil on the ATP was practically impossible for all the junk in this park. I found some stuff with it, but the 800 puts it to shame, no comparison. It's one hell of a cherry picker. I love it, and am happy as all get out that I bought it.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2014
    Englewood Ohio, Davao City Philippines
    Fisher F75 LTD, & XP Deus,
    75 times
    Super Fine, Great Digging

us
    Mar 2019
    Albany, GA
    Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Minelab Pro-Find 35.
    41 times
    It was just an example. Another is a silver washington that rang up as a 16 in red clay at 5 inches. 16. Never over. I thought it was a shotgun shell head stamp. Point is - dig it all. Can't refute that. People who think the Nox is a perfect machine on tones and VDI are missing a lot of stuff.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    696 times
    I learned the 800 by digging everything. Then I quickly learned that I didnít really need to dig everything. Yeah I suppose I will miss a few things. My knees and my back simply couldnít take digging every single target on every hunt. Getting old sucks sometimes. Iíll keep cherry picking as long as the picking is good.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17071 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I've still not read my EQ800 manual, and likely never will = as that would probably confuse me, my brain isn't what it used to be.

I just listen to the sounds. That's all I do with my CTX as well. I look at the numbers, but really don't pay attention to them. It's the sounds for me, solid repeaters.

But I must say, I'd have probably missed your find.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Coinshootist

Oct 2016
    WI
    Equinox 800, XP Deus
    177 times
    Metal Detecting
    Absolutely beautiful coin, great job trusting your instincts!
    "There is no such thing as a hunted out location. There are only those whose patience has run out and who aren't up for the challenge."

us
    Oct 2003
    Delaware
    Minelab Equinox 800/ XP Deus
    137 times
    Awesome find and amazing condition!

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800