South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a window of 2 hours yesterday to hunt. Decided to hit my oldest site one more time before the growth took over this spring.

I’ve pounded the main homesite on a now overgrown field, so decided to try Park1, Sensitivity 21, no Horseshoe and just cherry pick the field adjacent to where the early 1800’s home once stood. After finding nothing but shotgun headstamps in 1:45 minutes, I decided to swing the main homesite hotspot for the final 15 minutes.

This spot has been hit by me slowly swinging Field2, a friends Deus, another friends AT Pro and my Ace over the years. Many great coins have come out o this 30’x50’ area, Nova, NJ copper, LC’s, KG’s, Rattlesnake button, etc.

So yesterday with only 5 minutes left before having to turn off, I was at that “one last hole” mode. I got a fleeting flutey high tone occasionally in only one direction, but never a corresponding 30+ VDI. Clicked on the Horseshoe and got a lot of iron grunting along with the occasional flutey tone, VDI’s all over the place. Switched to pinpoint mode and surprisingly it pinpointed small and muted. Took a scoop and reswung and the occasional hightone was gone. Thinking now that this is definitely another rusty flat nail, but since it was my last hole why not dig it out a bit deeper. Reswung again, nothing but iron, but my carrot had a distinct small target at the bottom sidewall. Took 2 more scoops and it was out of the hole.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555335168.977423.jpg
I was shocked to see this.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555335005.819710.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555335088.788212.jpg
Dunked it in a stream nearby.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555335072.670329.jpg
Cleaned up real nice, my first Barber half!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555335123.123641.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555335132.707670.jpg
I rechecked the hole and pulled out a 2”x2” chunk of iron.

It is definitely my deepest silver so far with the Nox and probably my luckiest find.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that thing is minty! Great find. Congratulations!

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boy howdy what a find!!! Congrats!!!

Route66

Mar 25, 2019
Guntersville, AL
Detector(s) used
White's 6000D
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! Were you using 2 tones in Park 1 like the default?

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Barber Half! Congrats!

Steve

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome job, Thad! Man that's one fine lookin coin bud. Those deep silvers have their own unique tone from my experience with the EQX. Shows the seperation power at depth too! Thanks for sharing this dig!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome job, Thad! Man that's one fine lookin coin bud. Those deep silvers have their own unique tone from my experience with the EQX. Shows the seperation power at depth too! Thanks for sharing this dig!

Thx John! That perfect silver dime hightone on the Nox is incredible. A little too loud and pronounced is probably a screw cap, way too loud and big a can, scratchy tracking iron is rusty nail. This ones fleeting peep of a hightone was a new one for me. Every other silver I have dug with the Nox was a tone I could get to repeat at least in one direction.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what a beautiful one too, awesome save

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...what a nice looking coin! Congrats!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a real beauty!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx John! That perfect silver dime hightone on the Nox is incredible. A little too loud and pronounced is probably a screw cap, way too loud and big a can, scratchy tracking iron is rusty nail. This ones fleeting peep of a hightone was a new one for me. Every other silver I have dug with the Nox was a tone I could get to repeat at least in one direction.

I notice this on both my mxsport and nox. which is why I run all metal because you can make that blip in the threshold repeat, but the depth and weakness of signal doesn't let the detector id it and give a solid or repeatable hit with the programs. still trying to really learn the nox in all metal, seems like it should do well though.

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The coin was probably on edge. The Nox still has issues with this, even after the latest firmware update.

So.... you’re saying that those fleeting little high blips that I hear once and then not could be deep silver??

Yup. The Nox is a dig-all machine. I've dug silver I would have sworn was just a bent nail. Odd blips and blurps with high tones and VDI going from 12 -> 31. Cycling through the different frequencies and swinging over the target can sometimes help identify if it's truly junk or a potential good target. But, honestly, dig everything.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So.... you’re saying that those fleeting little high blips that I hear once and then not could be deep silver??

I would say, maybe. I get those random hightone beeps at some sites with higher EMI when my sensitivity is high, but I can not get the tone to repeat.

This target gave that peep of a big silver hightone every 3 or 4 swings in just one angled swing direction. At a proven old site, I would dig it again having had this experience.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coin was probably on edge. The Nox still has issues with this, even after the latest firmware update.

Yup. The Nox is a dig-all machine. I've dug silver I would have sworn was just a bent nail. Odd blips and blurps with high tones and VDI going from 12 -> 31. Cycling through the different frequencies and swinging over the target can sometimes help identify if it's truly junk or a potential good target. But, honestly, dig everything.

You need more time on the Equinox. Dig it all, huh? Lol. You guys crack me up.

That quarter was probably a 10" deep target. Any machine on the market would behave the same.....or worse! Simply because of the big chunk of Ferrous sleeping with Lady Liberty.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That quarter was probably a 10" deep target. Any machine on the market would behave the same.....or worse! Simply because of the big chunk of Ferrous sleeping with Lady Liberty.

My thoughts exactly. If it was on-edge, which is distinct possibility, it is actually an impressive performance by Equinox given that 2x2 ferrous chunk in the hole and the other ferrous that was pulled out in the process. But I give most of the credit to PA DIRT for not giving up on the target after all that iron was coming out of the hole. Persistence pays off and it also pays to play those hunches. Plenty of iffy signals by Equinox have given my just that one blip that says, keep digging and find out what this is and it has paid off more often than not.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you kept goin well done that nox is deep for sure gotta love it.

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And you know how much time I have on my Nox how? haha Not being rude, but I've probably well over 300 hours on the thing. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nox, but it is a dig-all machine. You never know what's going to come out of the ground with it. Different soil types, moisture levels, etc. all yield different tones and VDI readings with pretty much any detector. But the Nox is very rarely VDI accurate if the soil types are different. IHPs will register 19-20 in sand/dark soil, but 23-24 like a wheatie in red clay. Just an example. South GA goes from sand to organic-rich dark soil to stick-to-your-everything red clay. I've experience in it all and can tell you now that if you don't dig it all, you'll miss good targets.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread