All Treasure Hunting

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my opinion.

I would start out in multi. Sens. at 18, recovery 7, iron bias 1 or 2, 5 tones and park 1. Also I like running with the horse shoe button on. I feel it unmasks better in all metal mode.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start in one of the preset modes......probably Park 1 since it's only 5 tone. You can also try Park 2 if you really want to concentrate on gold. It's 50 tone in stock mode, but, you can change that to 5 if it's too much to handle. Set the sensitivity up as high as it will go and still remain stable and do some hunting! After you get a 100 hours or so on the machine, you can then think about using other modes and tweaking it to optimize the mode for the site and hunting conditions.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my opinion.

I would start out in multi. Sens. at 18, recovery 7, iron bias 1 or 2, 5 tones and park 1. Also I like running with the horse shoe button on. I feel it unmasks better in all metal mode.

I like the above as a starting point to learn the machine, but maybe lower recovery speed and turn off horse shoe if your brain encounters information overload...

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will like it. The stock modes are great and work well, just turn it on, 5 second gb and go. The headphones are comfortable but ear buds are also a option if you like that. Its very loud and the numbers are large and easily readable in bright sun. Had a friend tweak mine for the area and it really talks to me whats in the dirt before I dig. I did get the small coil and it really does a good job separating the trash and coins even when next to each other. Recovery speed is adequate, but had to slow down my swing pattern from the AT Pro and Fisher F75. You gonna miss targets if you swing too fast. So far no deep targets dug, but most targets are within that 5 inch golden zone Im looking in anyway. Dont let how light it is fool you, it is a hunting machine. My RA loves it. My etrac and two other detectors just setting around gathering dust, your not going to want to put the 800 down.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and have fun. Great machine. Just takes a little time to learn.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info guys I appreciate all the help...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first few weeks use the factory presets and try it out on a test garden. All machines can be tweaked to the point they stop finding certain kinds of items. I have this one farm where every blasted "97" or higher on my Deus is a piece of unwanted Civil War ration can. One signal not that long ago in the same range was a gold coin, a big one. I had thought about notching out "97 and above, glad I didn't.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got it yesterday, got a bad case of the spring fever today and heading out early, messed around in the yard a little last night found a couple of pennies....

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set it to Park 1, Noise cancel, GB as necessary, leave the default settings as is except to reduce Sensitivity as necessary to reduce chatter (no need to force the issue by cranking sensitivity up to 25 either, keep it around 20 plus/minus and you will reduce extraneous noise which can affect effective depth), swing away, dig everything and note primarily the tone quality on keepers versus trash and don't get too hung up on the VDI numbers because a gold ring, nickel and pull tab can all ring up with similar VDI's so can big silver, aluminum cans, and big iron. But they definitely sound different. Learning what the audio is telling you and not just the VDI numbers is key to success. Once you learn the ropes on the Equinox experiment with other features such as the horseshoe "all metal" button and how the pinpointer can help you determine whether you are swinging the coil over a can or a quarter. Be patient. Most of all have fun!

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set it to Park 1, Noise cancel, GB as necessary, leave the default settings as is except to reduce Sensitivity as necessary to reduce chatter (no need to force the issue by cranking sensitivity up to 25 either, keep it around 20 plus/minus and you will reduce extraneous noise which can affect effective depth), swing away, dig everything and note primarily the tone quality on keepers versus trash and don't get too hung up on the VDI numbers because a gold ring, nickel and pull tab can all ring up with similar VDI's so can big silver, aluminum cans, and big iron. But they definitely sound different. Learning what the audio is telling you and not just the VDI numbers is key to success. Once you learn the ropes on the Equinox experiment with other features such as the horseshoe "all metal" button and how the pinpointer can help you determine whether you are swinging the coil over a can or a quarter. Be patient. Most of all have fun!

Great ill do exactly that.. heading to a couple of parks im pretty sure they've bin hammered.... :icon_thumleft:

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Aah, a new toy... I mean treasure detecting device! I think you got all the information you need for now. I think the key is to to learn by digging what you hear and see just like with any detector.

I have a little thing I do when I go to any new location. I take the first 10 signals (any solid signal) I get and try to guess what they are before I dig them. If I get 8 out of 10 I start to be more selective in what I dig. If I get less than 8 out of 10 I start over until I do. Either way I'm digging and finding stuff. A nice little game that helps me at least.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like rec speed at 4 have fun you'll tweak it the way you like it's a great machine. Tommy

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 parks about 4.5 hours of hunting 51 pennies 12 dimes 6 quarters 1 nickle 1 watch 2 wheats, my trash to the right of the pic, my buddy went with me hes using the ATpro he pry dug as many targets as i did but half his finds where bottle caps and pull tabs :dontknow:..... lol....

All in all very happy with the machine today by fare the best feeling machine i have had, its quiet and hits hard on the coins 2 of the dimes i dug where only giving a good tone one way in each instance they where under a big nail, my buddy (atpro) missed a penny spill of 4 they where right next to one of his plugs i didnt tell him though lol ....

Also using the Pro Find 35 today it was spot on and easy to adjust, felt very confident with, my pro pointer 2 Im always checking to see if its on or working or having to cycle the power....

20190423_155759.jpg

Last edited:

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Toecutter, I am going to tell you that I missed going over the mountain a few weeks ago to pick up an E-800, from a young fireman that had damaged his shoulders, $350, My little woman was too sick so I could not go.

This seems to be the time of some real Butt Burners (deals that you have the funds but cannot move on}..
I will be watching your adventures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread