Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone notice any difference?
I do.
Hunting sites with moderate to heavier iron, Wi Steam kicks butt. Much more tonal nuance, much better tonal transition reporting while coil is swept.

I have little use for Bluetooth wireless headphones on Eqx 800 except for backup source.

Folks should consider trying Wi steam module if they haven’t done so.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What headphones are you using with it? It seems like quality headphones with 1/8" jack are pretty limited.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What headphones are you using with it? It seems like quality headphones with 1/8" jack are pretty limited.

Elcheapo walkman style with little jack. It’s not the headphones this tisnthe difference, it’s the Bluetooth can’t keep up with Eqx. Or Bluetooth can’t keep up with my brain and ears.lol

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if you are not using the correct bluetooth, low latency, it won't keep up with it.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was copied from page 54 of the Minelab Equinox 800 user manual... "D"

Wi-Stream Technology

Wi-Stream uses efficient low-power digital audio transmission to achieve the non-perceivable audio time lag of 17 ms between EQUINOX and the WM 08 Wireless Module. For the fastest possible wireless audio, use the WM 08 Wireless Audio Module*.
Audio Options EQUINOX has both wired and wireless audio options to choose from.

Wireless Audio Latency

Each EQUINOX compatible wireless technology has a slightly different latency, or delay. When metal detecting, the lowest latency is best.
When the coil is moving across the ground, any delay (latency) of the audio signal means that the coil will have moved past the target that produced that audio. Low latency (less audio delay) causes targets to be detected closer to where they really lie in the ground. This is very evident when swinging a coil left and right across a target. A higher latency will mean that the target is perceived to be in two locations either side of the actual location. A lower latency will minimize this effect.

aptX™ Low Latency Technology

aptX™ Low Latency technology is faster than standard Bluetooth, with a delay of 40 ms, giving a faster detection response.
Minelab ML 80* headphones use aptX™ Low Latency technology, and will deliver faster audio than standard Bluetooth® headphones.

Bluetooth® Technology

Any standard Bluetooth® headphones or earbuds can be used with an EQUINOX Series detector.
However, Bluetooth® technology has a high audio latency of 100 ms.
This can make it difficult to visualise the exact position of a buried target if you are detecting with a fast swing rate.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed no difference between wi stream and aptx ll. The 20 ms difference in latency is not noticeable to me.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Audio from Wi stream is cleaner vs AptX wireless headphones. Wi stream better audio for discerning iron vs nonferrous target.
Audio quality was always talked about in the past with different detectors and or the different wired headphones available.

So how come folks don’t place higher value on audio quality as it relates to EQX?
I got loads of hours on EQX. There’s a difference alright.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use Bluetooth just fine .

You NEED the blue tooth headphones to be low latency. Specifically low latency

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use Bluetooth just fine .

You NEED the blue tooth headphones to be low latency. Specifically low latency

I have the wireless headphones that came with my 800 unit. They are LL Bluetooth.
They aren’t as clear sounding vs wi stream.
See top of page 55 of Manual.
Plus less lag vs wireless headphones.

You work in a real challenging site with iron and nails, you’ll see (hear) the differences.

How about this.
If aptx LL tech is as good.
How come Minelab when they made the little module (that allows folks to run their headphones of choice), why didn’t Minelab just make it LL Bluetooth as well??

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the wireless headphones that came with my 800 unit. They are LL Bluetooth.
They aren’t as clear sounding vs wi stream.
See top of page 55 of Manual.
Plus less lag vs wireless headphones.

You work in a real challenging site with iron and nails, you’ll see (hear) the differences.

How about this.
If aptx LL tech is as good.
How come Minelab when they made the little module (that allows folks to run their headphones of choice), why didn’t Minelab just make it LL Bluetooth as well??

The cynical side of me says because they wanted to be able to sell another $270 accessory not compatible with any of their other detectors. I will take another look at it but the human ear can only really perceive delays greater than 50 ms. Tell me how your wired headphones plugged directly into the headphone jack on the detector sound vs. Wi Stream. I also forgot to mention previously that I hadn't found wired headphones to be any clearer or better even with 0 ms lag. I think you may just be hearing better audio through the wired headphones you are using vs. the ML80's which are not exactly top of the line from an audio perspective. Plug the ML80's directly into the Wi Stream module (i.e., non-powered, non-wireless mode using the supplied cord) and into the detector and tell me what you think. I think the difference you are hearing is the audio quality of the headphones themselves not the difference between Wi Stream and APTX LL. The wired phones, even though they are not considered expensive, may actually be better suited to the frequency response of your own ears vs. the ML80's.

Debatedc

Greenie
Nov 6, 2017
West Central MO
Detector(s) used
Deus II, MI-6 Pinpointer. Equinox 800, Equinox 600, AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if I can tell what's faster, but I do know that I used earbuds with the WM08 module and fell in love. I can wear my boonie hat and have wireless buds now. I had a hell of a time finding aptx/ll buds for sale anywhere.

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I can tell what's faster, but I do know that I used earbuds with the WM08 module and fell in love. I can wear my boonie hat and have wireless buds now. I had a hell of a time finding aptx/ll buds for sale anywhere.
What buds did you end up with?

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cynical side of me says because they wanted to be able to sell another $270 accessory not compatible with any of their other detectors. I will take another look at it but the human ear can only really perceive delays greater than 50 ms. Tell me how your wired headphones plugged directly into the headphone jack on the detector sound vs. Wi Stream. I also forgot to mention previously that I hadn't found wired headphones to be any clearer or better even with 0 ms lag. I think you may just be hearing better audio through the wired headphones you are using vs. the ML80's which are not exactly top of the line from an audio perspective. Plug the ML80's directly into the Wi Stream module (i.e., non-powered, non-wireless mode using the supplied cord) and into the detector and tell me what you think. I think the difference you are hearing is the audio quality of the headphones themselves not the difference between Wi Stream and APTX LL. The wired phones, even though they are not considered expensive, may actually be better suited to the frequency response of your own ears vs. the ML80's.

So, with the delay of the LL wireless headphones vs Wi stream or even external speaker. Is there s possibility of EQX givinga longer tone in detecting scenario? And this tone length being longer is what makes the detectorist become suspect/locate a target.
Tone length is very important part of detecting, shorter blips harder to hear. Having the actual detector report ,ore in real time is important too. So EQX will give signal faster to huma hear with Wi stream vs LL blue tooth. EqX is also going to be able to recover faster too tonally to one’s ears. Less tone clipping really. Allows faster sweep and better chance to hear a nonferrous.
Yeah hard to show this on a you tube.
The differences are there.
If one uses enough in a tough site.

Seems folks don’t mind talking up LL blue tooth.
And now blue tooth 5.0 I out it seems.

Also it would seem logical, Minelab could have left out the wi stream inside unit )(600 and 800 model) units could have been priced even cheaper. They didn’t though.

Last edited:

glabelle

Apr 21, 2011
So, with the delay of the LL wireless headphones vs Wi stream or even external speaker. Is there s possibility of EQX givinga longer tone in detecting scenario? And this tone length being longer is what makes the detectorist become suspect/locate a target.

No. The tone length is determined by the detector. Any delay effects the beginning of the tone and ending of the tone equally. i.e. given a 1 Second tone with a 10mS delay, the tone will start 10mS after being being transmitted and end at 1.01 Seconds. No change in tone length.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a user of the nox 600 w aftermarket blue tooth headphones, I’m saying they work great!

I have three silver dollars and 5 gold rings and a bunch of other goodies w the nox and my setup. I would never steer you wrong!

Debatedc

Greenie
Nov 6, 2017
West Central MO
Detector(s) used
Deus II, MI-6 Pinpointer. Equinox 800, Equinox 600, AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just borrowed some workout buds from my wife, since I haven't had time to find some good ones (and try them on for sound first). Worked really well so far, and don't make my ears sweat :D

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just borrowed some workout buds from my wife, since I haven't had time to find some good ones (and try them on for sound first). Worked really well so far, and don't make my ears sweat :D

Are they wired or bluetooth?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with vferrari here. I am not convinced that people are percieving "delay" with aptX-LL, as compared to Wi-Stream. YES, the numbers show that Wi-Stream is faster, but as vferrari notes, there's a limit as to what the human ear can perceive.

I am attaching a video, which I found interesting. It shows, audibly and visually, the "lag" associated different types of wireless feeds. In the first test, using aptX-LL, it's essentially imperceptible, as compared to a wired connection. Both feeds -- wired, and aptX-LL, are played simultaneously, and there is no "echo" perceptible (echo would, of course, would reveal perceptible "lag").

Then, when you see the second test in the video, where regular aptX and wired are played simultaneously, you definitely perceive the noticeable "lag" -- i.e. the "echo" between the two feeds. But, that echo is NOT there, with the aptX-LL. This supports what I've believed from my study of the issue, and is exactly what vferrari notes, as well. See for yourself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_bypcPW5O4&feature=youtu.be

I would tend to think that it's actually audio CLARITY or QUALITY that makes the difference, when plugging in better headphones into the WM-08, vs. the Minelab (BT-80) wireless phones, as opposed to "lag" being the issue. I also suspect that some of the Minelab Bluetooth headphones sound better than others. I have two pair, and one is very clear and sounds great; the other, not so much. The "not so good" pair sound slightly muffled, and at times there's even a bit of "offset" between what you are hearing in one ear cup, vs. the other.

Another story...when I first got my Explorer years ago, I was using the supplied Koss UR-30 headphones, and thought they sounded just fine (I didn't know any better, as I had nothing to compare them to). But, at the insistence of many, I upgraded -- to a set of SunRay Pro Golds. Let me tell you, there was a HUGE difference. MUCH clearer, MUCH better definition to the different tones, with the Pro Golds, vs. the Koss phones. Bottom line, headphones MATTER.

I will say that my "good" set of Minelab (BT-80) headphones sound "good," while the "bad" set definitely sounds much worse. However, due to this discussion, I am going to do something I haven't done yet -- I'm going to hunt for awhile using my SunRay Pro Gold phones with the WM-08 module. I've been meaning to do this, anyway, for quite awhile, but this thread has motivated me to do so. I am curious to see if my "good" pair of BT-80 aptX-LL phones actually sound "not so good," if compared to the SunRays…

Steve

Last edited:

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vferrari is correct, however, it's what works for *you*. I've tried a number of low latency bluetooth headphones and ear buds, both high dollar and cheapo's I have. For some reason, I do notice a difference, but it's mostly in pinpointing and not having to dig a "side plug" to get where I should have been. Maybe, and I'm no brain surgeon, it has to do with the way different people perceive / hear sound. I'm simply speculating, but for now, I use the module with my preferred headphones. Yes, it catches on my shovel handle a few times and of course I cuss it out when it does as if it was it's fault not mine, but in the end, just use what works for you.

-Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread