Nox 800 "Super-Secret Laser Pinpoint Mode"?...

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
lol....sorry, but I but don't really know what to call it, or if it's simply a "glitch" with my Equinox 800.

Stumbled across it after many hours of detecting, and didn't see it mentioned in the Owner's Manual.

Pinpointing: when it seems that your getting too big of a diameter, or not a precise enough Pinpoint on an object (deep or shallow) simply continue holding the coil over the object, DESELECT pinpoint, hit PINPOINT again, and

the area pinpointed seems to focus more, or reduce in size by HALF! (volume of the Pinpoint in this mode seems to reduce as well)

Anyone else experience this? It has helped me many times, with regards to "fine-tune pin-pointing" an object.

I'll be highly embarrassed if this is something that's common knowledge to all...except me. lol :BangHead:

Anyhoo, simply wanted to put this out there in the spirit of sharing the info/helping.
Give it a try on your machine and let me know! HH :hello:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a try as I zero in on that next pull tab.
dts

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont know for sure if the Equinox does this, but the Xp Deus pinpoint feature works exactly as you described..you can push it at least 3 times.

OP
OP
usmcscorpio

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
Dont know for sure if the Equinox does this, but the Xp Deus pinpoint feature works exactly as you described..you can push it at least 3 times.

Yup! I think I started doing it from habit with the XP! Anyway, I kind of get the same response doing it on the Nox. (not 3 times though) TY & HH

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sounds like a good tip to me, I never paid attention to it before but will now with both machines. Thanks

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s new to me. Thanks for the info :occasion14:

soilsifter

Greenie
Jun 11, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
DFX w/ Detech 13in ultimate and 6in excelerator coils, Sunray DX-1 probe.

AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your description of this sound familiar to me. I started detecting several years ago and my first detector was a Whites DFX 300 and it had a automatic feature they referred to as ratchet pinpointing.

It would “ratchet down” the search coil sensitivity on shallow strong targets. I have also read in the book “ Digging Deeper with the DFX” by Jeff Foster of a manual technique referred to as “ de-tuning “ a strong target. Basically having the coil close to the target but not directly on top of the target,then start the pinpointing to reduce coil sensitivity to strong targets.

This may not be the same as what you experienced but it made me think of this and just thought I would share.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds of a similar tip regarding the orange Garrett carrot pinpointers. When youre on a double or triple beep setting, and youre pinpointing in a hole, hit the button once while the pinpointer is sounding off. This will dial back the strength and pinpoint more accurately. You can do it several times.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Pretty sure that technique is called "de-tuning" and works on most detectors with no-motion pinpont. Works great until you get 2 or more targets under the coil and depth probably suffers as well.

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well no matter what you do that coil can only detect in the middle top to bottom of the double D.

NYBilly

Jan 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a feature on the T2 that I really liked and have looked for on the Nox. I'll give it a shot, thanks

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats how pinpointing works. PP measures cardinal up and down from starting value and not absolute.

Thats also why you dont start pinpointing directly over the assumed object.

Greets Namxat

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for reminding me, CTX is same,but I kind of forgot about it" ��*♀️��*♀️

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol....sorry, but I but don't really know what to call it, or if it's simply a "glitch" with my Equinox 800.

Stumbled across it after many hours of detecting, and didn't see it mentioned in the Owner's Manual.

Pinpointing: when it seems that your getting too big of a diameter, or not a precise enough Pinpoint on an object (deep or shallow) simply continue holding the coil over the object, DESELECT pinpoint, hit PINPOINT again, and

the area pinpointed seems to focus more, or reduce in size by HALF! (volume of the Pinpoint in this mode seems to reduce as well)

Anyone else experience this? It has helped me many times, with regards to "fine-tune pin-pointing" an object.

I'll be highly embarrassed if this is something that's common knowledge to all...except me. lol :BangHead:

Anyhoo, simply wanted to put this out there in the spirit of sharing the info/helping.
Give it a try on your machine and let me know! HH :hello:

This is a helpful tool on this machine and I've also used the same technique with The Fisher CZ5 . It also helps to isolate one specific target when you have multiple targets in the same small area !
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread