Metal Detecting

Digger Dude

Mar 13, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my 800 for less than a month now. No silver, but haven't been to an old site yet.

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
Hang-in there fellas! I think it'll happen for you soon!

Dixie hit the nail on the head ...site selection is probably upwards of half the ball game, when it comes to making older/silver/coppers/buttons...whatever you are focusing on, range-wise!

Also big fan of using Google Map, etc. to help me with finding a promising site or permission!

I don't know it all...but here's a

TIP: Start paying equal attention to the DEPTH of the target!!!

If you are getting a decent, desirable signal that is giving you, say...4 or 5 depth arrows on the screen (maybe even 3 or less! Depends on site) ALWAYS try to give it a DIG!

If after silver, I try to stick to 26 & up on the Target ID. (don't get discouraged...you'll still dig big metal, brass, pop-top, bottle-caps, harmonica pieces, etc. lol BUT, every once in a while you'll be rewarded by that flash

of silver!

Tip: Detecting wet-ground always seems to give better depth/finds! Guessing that has to do with "conductivity".

Tip: I always take a couple/few "sample" coins/items with me to test for best program, settings & increased depth at various sites that I hunt. Helps a LOT!

Tip: Use a good Pinpointer and Digging tool, & always back-fill holes/leave the place in as good of condition as you arrived! (There's another topic all on it's own..."Digging/Hole Techniques & Target Retrieval" :metaldetector:

Good luck & Happy Hunting! :hello:

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gotta be there 1st to find them. you keep plugging away and they will show. one guy is tripping over them and the next guy can't buy one but a year later it is the other way around. sometimes it is what it is until we manage to find better sites that contain them

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tip: Location, Location, Location.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't fret, it will happen. I hunted quite a few years before finding my first silver coin, though I had found a lot of silver and gold jewelry through all my years of hunting. Good luck and Happy Hunting.:icon_thumright:

Route66

Mar 25, 2019
Guntersville, AL
Detector(s) used
White's 6000D
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve had my nox 800 now for about two months. I’ve found tons of “new “ money, gold rings (2), sterling jewelry but no silver coins yet. Not one. Anyone else or is it just me?????:dontknow:

I used to be into metal detecting big time back in the early '80's. My first detector was a Whites 6000D, I purchased it in 1981, and by the time I quit the hobby, about 2 years later, I had a total of 365 silver coins including 9 silver half dollars. I just got back into the hobby (yes I'm almost 70 years old) and I purchased the Nox 800. Yes, it is much harder to find silver now than it was back then but it's still there. My first coin, back on February 15th of this year, was an 1888 Indian Head Penny. I have found 40 silver coins since then, including 4 silver half dollars. My advice: get permissions in old neighborhoods! The usual places have been hunted to death. Yes there is still silver to be found there .. but it's much harder than detecting a permission in a yard that no one has hunted before. I have had at least two 5 silver days since February. Permissions is the way to go .. at least for me it is, and I have a very good success rate at being told "yes". I'd say about 85-90%. Maybe they look at me like their kind old Grandfather:)

Hope this helps.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need sites with silver on them to begin with. It's the same story, if it's not there, you won't find it. It's neither you or the machine. Try some new spots, it's going to happen. I thought I had a great undug site which should have produced silver which I hit yesterday. Wheaties and stupid Confederate buttons, but no silvers.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being in Western Pa I'm sure there's plenty of shiny coins in the dirt close by.

As others have said maybe try getting on some ground that has many other targets that suggest silver is there such as old beaver tail tabs or older jewelry+buttons. When you do get into an area with these targets SLOW DOWN your search really focus on the signals.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, what settings are you running on your Eq?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold rings are the real treasures!

You can find a silver coin today - just knock 10 doors in the old part of town, and try to get permission for the yard for a little bit.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find some old maps of your area online. I have a bunch of maps from my area from the 1850's to the 1930's. Just compare the old maps to the new maps to find sites.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I bought my 600 for hunting my old local spots which has been hunted by myself and others for years. I pulled a silver dime in one within 2 days, and my second Franklin about a week later. The Equinox will find missed silvers. Location is logically always the first rule of this game, but the Equinox does find missed silvers. Just try digging more iffy signals in the VDIs above 25, even one-way tones. My first dime was a one-way tone.

If you are running factory setting, drop the recovery speed from factory. IMO, factory speed settings is too high, and you can easily miss the short, quick tones from deep and masked targets.

Hoe this helps. I have total confidence in finding missed silvers with my 600 ;-)

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve had my nox 800 now for about two months. I’ve found tons of “new “ money, gold rings (2), sterling jewelry but no silver coins yet. Not one. Anyone else or is it just me?????:dontknow:

I'd consider your finds so far to be outstanding. Gold rings, silver jewelry, "new" money that can be coinstar'd..
The gold rings are far more impressive in my book. And silver jewelry? Yeah that has to count as better than a coin.
I really do understand your lust for a silver coin as I also share that same goal. While you haven't found a silver coin yet, it will surely come when you hit the right spot.
Be proud of your finds already made. A lot of metal detector users don't ever find gold rings.
Keep up the good work!!

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need sites with silver on them to begin with. It's the same story, if it's not there, you won't find it. It's neither you or the machine. Try some new spots, it's going to happen. I thought I had a great undug site which should have produced silver which I hit yesterday. Wheaties and stupid Confederate buttons, but no silvers.

LOL "stupid confederate buttons". I'd probably poop my pants if I found such a thing in these junk fields and spots I hunt. Even a wheatie would be a welcome event on my end. Ohh no, I get lots of can slaw, zinc pennies, clad quarters, clad dimes, pulltabs and other assorted garbage! Have given up on silver around here as more than likely the ants ate them up! hahaha

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My digging partner said today it doesn’t matter where I go there’s a confederate or union button there for me. I freaked out when we foond one in my front lawn a couple years ago! The one yesterday was badly damaged.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple things I would suggest use park 1 preset mode dont mess with any setting until you learn that and learn the sounds ect. I have found some silver with my 800 it has a higher tone and most were not a solid tone due to the depth. I think making a test garden with a few old silver then clad you will learn the sound differences you will know silver most times. I also ues the amphibian headphones very sensitive and Im used to them but either way learn the sound and the broken sound of a deep silver which I think many people jusdt move on from. I agree location is key trust me Ill go out many times without silver thats just the way it is. Alot of the fun is what you might find especially once youve found some cool stuff. Silver spills relics gold ect. Talk to some of the older people in your area they are some of the best resources youll find old swimming holes camps drinking spots ect ect Good luck Tommy

MCH

Greenie
Jan 6, 2019
Binghamton, NY
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 800 & 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tip: Location, Location, Location.

vferrari is right. I have an Equinox 600 & 800 and have well over a 100 hours using them and have found 6 silver coins. That is a silver about every five or six hunts for me in mostly park and athletic field settings. I did much better on private property. I don't like door-knocking / asking for permission, but it will really increase your odds of finding silver - especially at older properties.

Last edited:

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 of the 4 silvers I’ve found have come with the 6” coil. It’s real good at picking coins out of trash and iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions