Still Confused Part III - I am NOT Crazy!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a dealer and try one of those models or if you know someone with one see if its you or if its the machine lol good luck

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a dealer and try one of those models or if you know someone with one see if its you or if its the machine lol good luck

A friend has a new Nox 800 and his did not mess up like mine did. Plus, when I was at the beach, I met another person with a Nox 600 and his worked perfectly. This is why Minelab told me to start filming the problems.

After I had recorded 24 videos I sent them and my unit back to Minelab and they were able to recreate the problems this time.

On the ticket Diagnosis paper I received back from Minelab it said the following:

"After receiving unit from owner, the unit was turned on and tested and more often than not there was an issue. This was prevalent most often when pressing the PP button. Sometimes it worked correctly, but most it did not. This was not showing the last time the unit was here. You press the PP button and the mode locks onto a number and a tone. Also, other times you would get no tone, no number and the coil picked up nothing. Multiple issues, especially going into PP mode. This pod will be replaced."

So I am sure it was not me and it was the pod.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think you're crazy! :tongue3: lol But seriously I'm glad you got it fixed and I hope it never happens to you again. Now go find stuff and post it here!

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the drama continues
Just got back from the beach using the new pod head.

The detector worked great - for about two hours, then started all the same issues as before.
I have 19 videos of it malfunctioning

Spoke to John & Jamie at Minelab and I am sending my unit back in for the third time.

I am guessing it is the coil causing the pod heads to short out

When I put the coil in salt water, the unit just screamed like I was killing it. Salt water is a conductive solution, so I am guessing there is a short in th coil causing the problems.

I have asked Minelab to replace both the coil and the pod head.

I will let you know what transpires.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Leaving Friday for the beach. Just hope the weather cooperates.
Sannich, Best of luck to you at the beach. Where are you from in Atlanta? I retired from the Dekalb County Fire Dept. back in 2006.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask for a whole new machine.

I did ask for a entire new unit. They said they would have to inspect it first.

However, Jamie did say she put in her notes for them to send me a new pod head and a new coil, so that is almost like a new machine.

I will just have to wait and see

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did ask for a entire new unit. They said they would have to inspect it first.

However, Jamie did say she put in her notes for them to send me a new pod head and a new coil, so that is almost like a new machine.

I will just have to wait and see

I think you are better off with just the new head unit and coil. I haven't seen a lot of complaints recently, but if you are happy with the fit up of the shaft and do not have the wobble problem then it is better that you keep a good shaft assembly than chancing getting one that might have the wobble issue. Getting both units should solve the problem, but a little disappointed that ML didn't diagnose the coil issue sooner (or just didn't give you a replacement for both in the "second" place once you gave them the first set of videos) and save at least some additional heartache. If they were able to replicate the issue the second time around, a little extended time with faulty coil on a known good head unit should have identified the root cause. On the other hand it was a tricky troubleshooting challenge because it was an intermittent problem that seemed to get worse with time and if I recall correctly, ML did test your coil on a known good head unit but it was probably a quick go - no-go check for proper operation, so perhaps unfair to second guess the repair center. Bottom line, you made a very good call postulating that a faulty coil may be causing electrical damage to the head units and by insisting on completely new head unit and coil you should be out of the woods now. Good luck and I hope you don have a part IV (unless it is a good news story)!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions