Still Confused Part III - I am NOT Crazy!!

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go back and read my post, “Still Confused” and “Still Confused Part II”, I have been saying there was something wrong with Nox 800 ever since I got it. I have only had it since January, but it has progressively gotten worse.

I've been saying that it locks ups and will just scream and I have to do a FP to fix it. When I change to pinpoint mode, it may or may not work and it would also lock up. In March I sent my unit back to Minelab, but they said they could not find anything wrong with it and returned it. They also said to go ahead and use it, and if it acts up, to video it.

In mid-April I took my unit to the beach for a week. During this period, it kept getting worse and worse, the more I used it. In the letter I sent Minelab I stated there are several major issues with the unit:

(For reference: the Noise Cancel was usually between 2 and -4, and most of the time 0. The ground balance was 0. Sensitivity 20, and I adjusted this up and down and it made no difference. Beach mode 1 and 2)

1) Several times, the unit just turned off and I could not turn it back on. I finally tried disconnecting the coil and I was able to restart the unit. The last time it happen I did not think it was going to turn back on. The unit made a very loud electronic crackling noise in my headphones and then just turn off. It sounded like it had “fried’ itself.

2) I would be walking along with the unit and realize that it was not doing anything - it was on, but not detecting anything. I would lay my metal sand scoop down on the ground (and quarters), and it would not detect anything. I would have to do a FP and then, it would start working again. This happen several times.

3) The videos showed that in the pinpoint mode the unit will just freeze up and produce a steady, high pitched squeal. I could not turn the pinpointer off with the pinpoint button, I would have to use the detect mode. Other times I would turn the pinpoint on and it would not detect anything. However, if I turned it off and back on (sometimes several times) then it would start working. Other times in the detector mode it would freeze up and just make a loud squeal noise.

4) Other times I would be in the detect mode and realize that the unit had changed to the pinpoint mode. I am positive I did not cause this to happen - as one time I was watching the unit and saw it swap modes on its own.

5) I would be in the detect mode and suddenly everywhere I moved the coil it indicated there was something there, with the sound chatter and the numbers jumping from 0 to the mid 30's. I would have to do a FP and then it would start working again correctly, in the exact same area.

I was able to record 24 videos on my phone for Minelab.

Last week I sent my unit back to Minelab with the videos. John at Minelab called me this morning and confirmed I am NOT crazy. After watching the videos, they went out behind their building and my unit did just as I said it was doing and as the videos showed. Vindication!!

John at Minelab was very nice and said they are sending me a new electronic pod head. As for the coil, he said when they hooked my coil up to the new pod it seemed to work fine and then, they connected my coil up to another unit and it worked fine.

So, I am NOT crazy!!!

Now, on the flip side, I want to show everyone that even with a bad, malfunctioning unit, when it was working, it worked well. The attached image shows what I found over a six-day period, spending about an hour each evening on the beach. In summary, $12.76 in coins, a key, a gold charm, one silver ear ring, sunglasses, toy cars, a nail file, tent stakes, and the big bronze tube is a cigar holder (on line it sells for $22). Plus, not shown in the image, but I found the needle in the hay stack, or rather the needle in the sand pile. I actually found a sewing needle in the sand on the beach! There were also lots of bottle caps, beer cans, pulls tabs, etc., which I just threw away.

I am going back to the beach in a week, so hopefully the new unit will be here and will work correctly.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I will let you know how it works after my next trip.

Again, Minelab and John have been very nice about solving this problem. I can't wait to see what I can find with a unit that works correctly!

Attachments

• Resized.jpg
    Resized.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
makes you wonder though, doesn't it. glad you recorded the proof and sent it in. hope you have a blast with the better one. Good luck, now the sun is shining again! LOL

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow what an ordeal! Happy to read Minelab is taking care of you. Best of luck on the beach!

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright:Glad to hear that your issue has been taken care of and also glad to hear a positive experience with Minelab. Their CS hasn't always had a good reputation.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have another problem, insist on a total replacement machine. Hopefully, that won't happen.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
You still have to be a little crazy if you enjoy metal detecting. If you enjoy working hard digging holes in the hard ground for $2 and hour, you have to be a little crazy.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well actually it was about $2.12 per hour!��

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still have to be a little crazy if you enjoy metal detecting. If you enjoy working hard digging holes in the hard ground for $2 and hour, you have to be a little crazy.

Some of my shrinks tell me that I have schizoaffective disorder...This may explain quite a bit of my crazy claims...hehehe

Ed T

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind working for $2 an hour, and finding some indians, wheats and silver coins in the mix makes it even more enjoyable for me. I'm gonna keep metal detecting till they pry my detectors out of my cold dead hands!

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you got it sorted buddy. I had problems with a 600 for 2 months, falsing like hell, my dealer insisted it was normal when I knew something wasn't right. Eventually he sent me a new machine. Noxes are great detectors.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you were not crazy, glad they suggested using video to capture the interrmittent bad behavior. Intermittent issues usually assiciated with loose connections, bad solder joints, or thermal issues are the hardest to replicate and diagnose. Great finds considering how balky the machine was behaving. You should really tear it up next time with a properly operating detector.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been out of town most of this week
However when I got home tonight my new head pod was here
Minelab does give good service
Can’t wait to try it out Going back to the beach on Friday!

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANYONE having operational issues with their Nox's should uninstall and re-install the update. Mine did not work right at all on first installation.

Dave

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I just received my new head pod, how do I determine which software version it has so I can know if it needs to be updated?

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I just received my new head pod, how do I determine which software version it has so I can know if it needs to be updated?

Plug your Nox into your computer. Go to the download site and the download program will determine what version is on the machine.

Dave

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they sent you a brand new head unit under warranty, I would be willing to bet that the software is up to date. My suggestion would be: Install it and use it before messing with it. Just my $.02

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

Just wanted to check and it is the latest version.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a full reset and then swing away.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leaving Friday for the beach. Just hope the weather cooperates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread