Recovery 3 15" coil

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
having good success, slowly scanning colonial roads, a good distance from homesites

i decided to open up as much as possible , as there is very little contamination from ferrous or junk

I am running the 15" coil slowly and very low recovery speed at 3, bias 0, field 2, all metal,

with high sensitivity to weed out anything, and its working good

just wondering what equinox users think of this approach

and if I can improve on this

Thanks

Last edited:

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
having good success, slowly scanning colonial roads, a good distance from homesites

i decided to open up as much as possible , as there is very little contamination from ferrous or junk

I am running the 15" coil slowly and very low recovery speed at 3, bias 0, field 2, all metal,

with high sensitivity to weed out anything, and its working good

just wondering what equinox users think of this approach

and if I can improve on this

Thanks

I like what you’re doing!

I’m thinking of getting the big coil. Let me know how much depth you can get. There’s an old house nearby that I’ve found some wheats and a token at. The old sidewalk is around 6” lower than what used to be lawn. I need to see what’s below. 12”. I think there’s got to be old silver lower than the sidewalks.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like what you’re doing!

I’m thinking of getting the big coil. Let me know how much depth you can get. There’s an old house nearby that I’ve found some wheats and a token at. The old sidewalk is around 6” lower than what used to be lawn. I need to see what’s below. 12”. I think there’s got to be old silver lower than the sidewalks.

a little bit deeper than 11",, but is very impressive how sensitive it is to small items

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only limit on lowering recovery speed besides the need to maintain separation from trash and junk is ground noise feedback. If you are not getting ground noise on slow swings (which shows up as spurious -9 and -8 readings and iron grunts when not using discrimination that you can't make go away even after ground balancing), then go ahead and use the lower recovery speed to perhaps eek out some more depth. If you are having success with that approach, then keep on doing it. Since there are no free lunches in detecting, just balancing tradeoffs, then at some point you may run into the ground noise limit. If you do, back off and use a higher recovery speed or lower sensitivity (either way you are trading depth for noise suppression). The ground noise versus recovery speed tradeoff is discussed at the bottom of page 51 in Equinox user guide. HH.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only limit on lowering recovery speed besides the need to maintain separation from trash and junk is ground noise feedback. If you are not getting ground noise on slow swings (which shows up as spurious -9 and -8 readings and iron grunts when not using discrimination that you can't make go away even after ground balancing), then go ahead and use the lower recovery speed to perhaps eek out some more depth. If you are having success with that approach, then keep on doing it. Since there are no free lunches in detecting, just balancing tradeoffs, then at some point you may run into the ground noise limit. If you do, back off and use a higher recovery speed or lower sensitivity (either way you are trading depth for noise suppression). The ground noise versus recovery speed tradeoff is discussed at the bottom of page 51 in Equinox user guide. HH.

Thank you, it has got bit chippy, and snouts and grunts in areas, and I grinned and beard it for a while, when it effects hearing little squeekers, I will shoot it up to 4/5 and 20 sens.

The slow swing is also to make sure I cover and over lap the area,as it is very bumpy ground, and I found swinging fast I was dodging obstacles and missing areas, and I lowered the recovery to open it up and match my swing, but once i hear an iron grunt or 5, i switch to 4/5 to avoid masking.
on the trackway, i can see the slight indentation of narrow cart wheels , i get the good sounds mostly from the outside banks and 1-2 feet outside wheel track,
that is probably a splash bank and stuff got buried deep from the constant silt overlay as the wheels passed.

i will check out page 51, thanks for your advice as it is always useful to me, I find so many hunted out cellar holes, this is an alternative
and its always good for the squeal of 20th cent modern quarter, which puts you back in the mood and keeps your hopes high for a flowing hair half dollar

I dig a ton of bullet casings, shot gun shells by the dozen, I can nearly tell what they are,as it is fluffy and a bit jumpy sound in compared to a heavy solid sound. but its so close to a button, or artifact on edge sound, i have to dig them. as i am only using 5 tone, i think when I venture into 50 tones, i expect i can tell them apart but, i am still at training school and still under a year swinging

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, even at high recovery speeds, Equinox responds well when swinging slow. People tend to swing faster at high recovery speeds, primarimy because you can, but it you are trying to unmask targets in thick junk a slower speed or smaller amplitude swing (wiggle) can help you zero in on partially masked keepers. Equinox responds really well to proper coil control regardless of recovery speed. Of course, if you set a lower recovery speed that does force your hand at how fast you can swing the coil without missing targets. I tend to keep recovery speed in the range of 4 to 6 (Equinox 800) for most situations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you, the next cellar hole i am going to swing slower, as with all the sounds from all metal , your right the only way to hear real targets from loud large iron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread