sand scoop home made for hawaii trip..........

Rcnm

Jul 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
modified sand scoop for hawaii trip..........

IMG_2639.jpg IMG_2640.jpg IMG_2641.jpg IMG_2642.jpg IMG_2644.jpg

prior to going to maui for a week of r & r, i wanted to get a sand scoop but the ones with handles available kinda put me off due to price. seeing how others hade made from pvc and such i didnt like the looks and thought maybe the attached handles wouldnt hold up. so i came up with the following.
so, i got a garrett sand scoop from local cabelas and drilled a couple holes in the handle (see photo).
the extension rod is from lowes, painting extension rod about $20.00. as you can see in the photo, i removed the push button and drilled holes through to the sliding part (aluminum) and attached with miscellaneous bolts and nuts. i also drilled holes to attach to the scoop handle. this setup is solid. i used it in wet heavy sand and dry sand. i had no issues whatsoever. i am pleased and will use again when i return to maui (nothing found to write home about, just the usual change definitely not enough to cover the tip).

P.S. the equinox 800 ran quiet as a kitten, no issues with black sand in different areas of the island. loving the machine, still a rookie with it for sure.

Last edited:

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it worked well. In my hands that scoop might not last one day. My battle worn welded, and re-welded scoops looks like they have been through wars.

Dave

OP
OP
R

Rcnm

Jul 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have been going once a year to hawaii, and this is the 1st time i used it. i had just a plain plastic trowel i had used before the last 2 times and that was a chore. this worked well so hopefully it will last me. ill have welded as needed when the time comes if that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread