Six" or 15" coil choice

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if the subject causes vomiting, really searched for a while. The six looks tedious and the 15 seems huge and at just under a pound and a half torture. I hunt woods with light undergrowth, a couple fresh water beaches and a few yards (hate door knocking) but get a few yards a year in conversations plus i get a permit for city parks. Permit good for 1 month & 1 park, at least it's free. The six is the favorite due to separation in trash but the stock coil is better then i expected. I used a tesoro golden µmax with several coils including the 4 inch for years. I took the equinox in the back yard and pulled coins out that surprised me after 15 years with my tesoro so i knew the stock nox could handle trash. Would like your real world opinions on ups and downs of both, thanks.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why not stick with the stock one?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you are in a heavy trash area, the stock 11" coil will work fine for most venues. The 15" is great for coverage on open fields and beaches. For heavy trash/iron, close to metal fences and rebarred walls, and around playground equipment, the 6" allows you to get much closer to those without being masked. The 6" is also great in heavy undergrowth where the bigger coils can't be swung. You'll either have to decide which type of detecting you'll be doing the most, or get both coils like I did. :icon_thumright:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I dislike 6" coils. I LOVE 8" coils, have them on most of my machines. Easier to swing in water or brush, better depth than a 6 incher. I have e-mailed Minelab and they so far have no plans to make an 8" coil for the Nox in the near future. If anybody else would like to see an 8" coil for the Nox please e-mail Minelab and let them know. I have used a 15" coil on my Safari for open field and beach hunting but I hardly ever use it. I guess I have the patience to swing an 8" but not a 6" and also the patience to swing an 8" rather than an 11" or 15" coil. The larger coils originally were meant for cache hunting, good for finding larger targets deeper, I usually am not doing that kind of hunting.

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eight would be my choice too. I'm downsizing everything lately and and selling/trading gear as i can. Keeping a basic vlf as a backup/loaner. The six makes more sense for what i do.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I dislike 6" coils. I LOVE 8" coils, have them on most of my machines. Easier to swing in water or brush, better depth than a 6 incher. I have e-mailed Minelab and they so far have no plans to make an 8" coil for the Nox in the near future. If anybody else would like to see an 8" coil for the Nox please e-mail Minelab and let them know. I have used a 15" coil on my Safari for open field and beach hunting but I hardly ever use it. I guess I have the patience to swing an 8" but not a 6" and also the patience to swing an 8" rather than an 11" or 15" coil. The larger coils originally were meant for cache hunting, good for finding larger targets deeper, I usually am not doing that kind of hunting.

I emailed Minelab last week to ask about an 8” coil. Great minds think alike!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if the subject causes vomiting, really searched for a while. The six looks tedious and the 15 seems huge and at just under a pound and a half torture. I hunt woods with light undergrowth, a couple fresh water beaches and a few yards (hate door knocking) but get a few yards a year in conversations plus i get a permit for city parks. Permit good for 1 month & 1 park, at least it's free. The six is the favorite due to separation in trash but the stock coil is better then i expected. I used a tesoro golden µmax with several coils including the 4 inch for years. I took the equinox in the back yard and pulled coins out that surprised me after 15 years with my tesoro so i knew the stock nox could handle trash. Would like your real world opinions on ups and downs of both, thanks.

Eight would be my choice too. I'm downsizing everything lately and and selling/trading gear as i can. Keeping a basic vlf as a backup/loaner. The six makes more sense for what i do.

While, we are all waiting for that elusive 8 inch coil that is probably never going to show up, I will say this: The 6" coil IS tedius but effective in the specialized uses it is designed for (tight spots, thick trash), but those are few and far between. The 15" is great for coverage with a minimal weight penalty. However, having owned both coils for several months, it has just reinforced in me the fact that the 11" coil does more than 90% of what I need it to do and I find myself less inclined to put either of the other "specialty" coils on the machine if I think I can just get away with the stock. The stock just seems to be the sweet spot coil that performs the best overall. If you are trying to downsize, I say save your dough and stick with the stock.

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice, maybe I'll just get me a good water scoop. :lightbulb:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I do beaches and so it was a no brainer to sell off the 6” and keep the large coil. I do think the 11” is the best all around coil available. Good luck!

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, plus the stock. I laughed at the 6" when it came in the mail thinking it would never be able to cover the areas I was searching. I now use it 95% of the time. I'm SHOCKED at how well it performs. I've used the 15" a few times on the tidal beach/river areas where I am to try to cover more ground but it made no real difference to me finding anything more. On the last 3 silver coins I found all I heard was a slight "squeak" amongst tons of iron and other things. As was said before, "tones are everything" and that's what got me to stop in my tracks and rescan these hits. If I had to pick between the 2 then I would go with the 6". If you can, get both for when you go on vacation to Florida. Good luck!

Ironfeathers

Greenie
Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While, we are all waiting for that elusive 8 inch coil that is probably never going to show up, I will say this: The 6" coil IS tedius but effective in the specialized uses it is designed for (tight spots, thick trash), but those are few and far between. The 15" is great for coverage with a minimal weight penalty. However, having owned both coils for several months, it has just reinforced in me the fact that the 11" coil does more than 90% of what I need it to do and I find myself less inclined to put either of the other "specialty" coils on the machine if I think I can just get away with the stock. The stock just seems to be the sweet spot coil that performs the best overall. If you are trying to downsize, I say save your dough and stick with the stock.
When you switch coils, do you have to reset the detector back to factory presets like the Garrett AT Pro or can you just switch from the stock coil to the 6 inch coil and operate with the same programs you have assigned your machine?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do not have to reset the machine when you switch coils.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swap them around all you want. The only thing you might have to do is re-noise cancel when going to a larger coil. They are more prone to have EMI issues.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sprung for the 15", hoping for a bit more depth and coverage, and my buddy got both the 15" and the 6" (is that thing really 6 inches? Looks more like 4"!) My 15" pretty much just sits in the truck, and I'm glad that I didn't also spring for the little sniper coil. I suspect that Minelab came out with that one primarily for the gold seekers. I side with those here that would love to see an 8" coil.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the stock coil and the 6” coil. The 6” has never been off since I got it more than 6 months ago. Love it. Light and easy to swing all day. I will keep both coils and will switch back someday I just don’t know when.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the stock coil and the 6” coil. The 6” has never been off since I got it more than 6 months ago. Love it. Light and easy to swing all day. I will keep both coils and will switch back someday I just don’t know when.

What Hawks88 said x2:icon_thumleft:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I went detecting at my local SoCal beach right after the 4th of July and was blown away with the amount of trash targets everywhere except on the damp sand. I may have to repurchase the 6” coil just to get in between the junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread