Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Jason in Enid
  • 2 Post By vferrari
  • 1 Post By WaterWalker
  • 3 Post By cudamark
  • 1 Post By Tpmetal
  • 2 Post By bowwinkles
  • 1 Post By pa-dirt_nc-sand

Thread: Hunting along metal fence tips?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    7809 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Hunting along metal fence tips?

Hi all! I have a 600 and the stock 11Ē coil. Iím hitting this awesome old site and pulling significant old relics from 2Ē deep to 10Ē, but adjacent to the hot area is a chain link fence. If I am at sensitivity 21, I have to be about 5í away. I lowered sensitivity down to 10 and could get within about 2í away and dug an awesome tombac button still about 4-5Ē down.

If I just disc out the fence VDI, even if I donít hear it anymore, it will still be masking out all other signals, correct?

Any other strategies around metal fences?

us
    Oct 2009
    7320 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Cant do it. Your ONLY hope is to put on a 6" coil and drop your sens WAAAAY down. I know your problem. I cant get my EQX within feet of any large metal object without problems. It's just too powerful and sensitive.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6097 times
    And to have any hope at all your swing needs to be parallel to the fence line.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Jan 2007
    Cape Cod, Massachuestts
    Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Troy (X2 X5), Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Pro-Find 35
    509 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I have never tried it, but try to ground balance as close to the fence as you can. When I ground balance over a hot rock the effect is reduced hot rocks detection at one particular beach I detect on. It might just work on an Equinox when done next to a fence. I am going to try it the next time I am next to a chain link fence.

Oh yes, as Vferrari said, swing parallel with the fence.
    Last edited by WaterWalker; May 14, 2019 at 10:00 PM.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6553 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Interesting. I found the Equinox was the best machine I ever used by a chain link fence. With the 15" coil, it's not all that great, but, the 11" works well, and the 6" works excellent. You'll hear the fence, but, it will be a consistent tone and number. I just ignore that tone and listen for additional tones or a change in tone. I find a faster recover speed helps too. I keep the sensitivity high also, just like what I use away from the fence. You'll need to work a bit slower and hit the area from several angles to separate the fence sounds from other targets nearby.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4697 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Interesting. I found the Equinox was the best machine I ever used by a chain link fence. With the 15" coil, it's not all that great, but, the 11" works well, and the 6" works excellent. You'll hear the fence, but, it will be a consistent tone and number. I just ignore that tone and listen for additional tones or a change in tone. I find a faster recover speed helps too. I keep the sensitivity high also, just like what I use away from the fence. You'll need to work a bit slower and hit the area from several angles to separate the fence sounds from other targets nearby.
    this is how I got around a vollyball post recently
    pa-dirt_nc-sand likes this.

Nov 2012
    941 times
    Along a fence or any metal like in a playground I use my pin pointer in the zone (3 to 4) inches next to the metal and cover the balance with my detector. I desensitize the pointer a bit and this method has proven itself many times over in heavily hunted ground. It is a bit more work but the results so far have more than compensated for the effort. TRX is my pointer.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    7809 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Iíll give this approach a shot. The fence gives a 16-17 VDI, Iíll crank the sensitivity so it is constantly ringing 16-17 and then listening for changes. I guess I will then turn sensitivity way down to try and pinpoint the target. Thx!
    Real of Tayopa likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links