Request recommendation for mode and settings for searching old home site - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Request recommendation for mode and settings for searching old home site

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6620 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You shouldn't change your approach - keep hitting it and do what you are doing. Unfortunately, you are going to need to get some of that trash out of the way. If you don't start hitting some keepers after a few visits and/or a lot more hours, though, the site might just not have much to offer. You really can't make that assessment after only 1.5 hours, though. Also, do dig up the occasional mixed ferrous target as you may get a pleasant surprise because what you may have are multiple targets under that coil or a non-ferrous target that is fooling the detector (it happens). You have to decide to play the odds and risk leaving a keeper in the ground or tediously dig everything - no free lunches unfortunately. Also, it sounds like a great candidate site for the 6-inch coil.
    Last edited by vferrari; May 18, 2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Inspector likes this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Dec 2018
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett ADS III Equinox 800
    28 times
    I plan on putting more time in the site. I kept the sensitivity at the default setting. I was reading that lowering is some may help eliminate some of the iron, so I may try that next time out.

Lamar
    Inspector likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6620 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarkeiko View Post
    I plan on putting more time in the site. I kept the sensitivity at the default setting. I was reading that lowering is some may help eliminate some of the iron, so I may try that next time out.

Lamar
    Lowering sensitivity a little will help keep ferrous from overloading the coil and may unmask some shallower keepers. Experiment with different modes and even single frequncies.
    Inspector likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7426 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by PennDirtDigger View Post
    Very simply dig it all. Park 1 works great, field one works great. I'm hitting an old homestead area in the woods and pulling out everything including old horseshoes, old silverware, old kids toys, an old treble gilt button, the still loaded barrel of an old pre civil war pepperbox gun and even sterling silver cane pieces. Even the old nails and tools you might find are really neat. If it beeps dig it!!
    All well and good at some old locations where desirable relics might be found, but, places such as urban parks, sometimes it just isn't practical.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Mar 2019
    Western Pennsylvania
    Equinox 800
    191 times
    Metal Detecting
    I saw this on the minelab forum and tried it myself at a very trashy area. it worked wonderfully well finding coins and a piece of sterling jewelry. Cancel all numbers except 12, 13, and 18 thru 38. you will pull nickels at 12,13 and 18 on up will get you the rest. According to the post silencing 39, 40 on the top end gets rid of garbage as well. Silencing the other numbers in all that trash could be a blessing but also you are eliminating other potential goodies. It is a great way to quiet your machine though and the coins will sing out.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand and Inspector like this.

us
    Dec 2018
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    28 times
    PennDirtDigger , that sounds like a good idea to try on a site like mine to start so I could see if there are any good finds there without spending so much time digging trash. Once you know there are some good finds to be found, one can lower the discrimination to help locate good finds among the trash.

Lamar

us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    3178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Have you bothered to read the manual yet? It's pretty clear from the mode names what situations they are intended for. Start there.
    Well hell then, no need for any of us to be here. That response is about as useful as the guys who always answer "Google it"..
    Inspector and jeff of pa like this.
    Live Free or Die

us
    dirt sniffer

Apr 2017
    iowa
    Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
    503 times
    i printed 2 manuals and keep one by the bed, memory is shot. Used tesoro's so long buttons/screens on a detector slow me down at first, still have a natural callus on the side of my disc thumb. . What helps me is practicing getting to the advanced settings on the back porch with sensitivity and volume reduced.
    Inspector likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    6620 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PennDirtDigger View Post
    I saw this on the minelab forum and tried it myself at a very trashy area. it worked wonderfully well finding coins and a piece of sterling jewelry. Cancel all numbers except 12, 13, and 18 thru 38. you will pull nickels at 12,13 and 18 on up will get you the rest. According to the post silencing 39, 40 on the top end gets rid of garbage as well. Silencing the other numbers in all that trash could be a blessing but also you are eliminating other potential goodies. It is a great way to quiet your machine though and the coins will sing out.
    I would use this setup with caution unless you are purely going for coins (and even then, some US coinage will be missed by this setup). TID's bounce and change with soil conditions, orientation, and presence of nearby targets. I will note that war nickels can ring up higher and trimes typically fall in the 16 range. You will totally miss gold jewelry and coinage with this setup and brass and led relics such as flat and military buttons and minie balls, if those are important to you. I know the property is 1908 and the earlier history of the site may not have produced the targets I mentioned above but I mention it because there may be stuff in the ground that was dropped well before 1908 depending the history of the site. The machine will certainly run quiet though...
    Last edited by vferrari; May 19, 2019 at 06:35 PM.

us
    Mar 2019
    Western Pennsylvania
    Equinox 800
    191 times
    Metal Detecting
    I agree with all you wrote. Lots of good old goodies would be missed. I tried this setup at a trashy Park around picnic pavilions and the silence was beautiful. The only thing that rang out was coins and the sterling piece. I’m certain I missed the gold stuff that I hope is there but it was sure fun to walk through such a trashy area and cherry pick. I’ve picked this spot as my test lab so I’ll be going back to It many times.
    vferrari and Inspector like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    6620 times
    Agree - when you have limited time at a site or if you cannot afford to tear up the landscape, then a custom discrimination/notch pattern will work well in trashy situations - you will find stuff, but must also acknowledge a lot will also be left in the ground. Classic trade-off of metal detecting.

us
    Dec 2018
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    28 times
    I don't have limited time at this site, and the owners said they don't care if I leave holes. (I did tell them I will fill all my holes & remove trash.) My thought is, I can try some cherry picking there first to at least find some coins which I think should be one of the most likely good finds there. Then if I start finding some, I can lower the discrimination to dig the other missed finds. If I can find some coins with fewer digs, it will help my patients doing a lot of digs with no discrimination.

Lamar

us
    Mar 2019
    Western Pennsylvania
    Equinox 800
    191 times
    Metal Detecting
    Very good plan. Nothing revs me up at a site like finding an old coin
    vferrari and Inspector like this.

us
    Dec 2018
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    28 times
    Yesterday i went to the old site and spent a good 3 hours searching around the foundation perimeter about 10 ft, and around an old oak tree (5 ft across the base) very near the foundation and on one side of the foundation where an apparent walkway extended, I went out about 30 ft. Most of the time I searched in Park 2, sensitivity 16, and with discrimination set as PennDirtDigger mentioned, except I accepted VID 14 also. Even with that discrimination, I still dug much iron trash that would still tone in to me as a good signal. No coins found, and only one find of interest which is a round copper plate 2 5/8" diameter with Franklin written among scroll work. If anyone knows what that is, please let me know. The shovel head was about 6" down. Lots of nails. Only a couple appear to be square nails.
    I'm attaching some photos so anyone can chime in on what I've found. I'm disappointed I didn't come up with any coins. I felt that some coins found would really help age this site. I will go back there again some time again.

Lamar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metal plate.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	374.4 KB 
ID:	1714615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190520_172440.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	639.8 KB 
ID:	1714616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190520_172550.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	1714617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190520_143215-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	1714618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190520_172251.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	456.4 KB 
ID:	1714619  

jeff of pa likes this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    965 times
    The Franklin copper plate "may" have been the label to an old wood stove. That's an old brand name IIRC. That's a nice find BTW. I'd keep working it for sure, and your cleaning out the iron junk will eventually make the spot easier to hunt in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links