South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out for an hour at a very old site I pounded with the 600 in Field2, 5 tone, auto GB, horse shoe on, sensitivity 15-21, noise canceled, recovery 2 (middle settings on 600). This is my primary cellar hole set up and it worked great, over 30 flat buttons to only 8 or 9 square nails and 4-6 chunks of iron. Sort of a 2:1 ratio of target selection correct vs. fooled by iron.

Today I bumped up the recovery to 3, highest setting. (I have not messed with recovery speed since my first month with the Nox.) Hoping to uncover a few more buttons. I ended up finding targets that I could get to repeat in the low 20’s, but every one of them was a square nail. They were not perfect targets, maybe consistent number in one direction and iron or bouncy in another direction.

Should I adjust iron bias and try again? Any other advice?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I sometimes like to bump up the iron bias to about 3 in areas with deep rusty iron. If the good targets are deep, I keep the sensitivity as high as I can stand, swing slower, and reduce the recovery speed. I use the 800, so, it's a bit more adjustable than yours, but, give it try and see if it helps.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upping Iron Bias is one option to reduce falsing. I tend to avoid that though because is sort of defeats the purpose of going with a higher recovery speed. The reason being that iron bias is just another filter. Filters result in processing delays that counter the benefits of increasing recovery speed. The upshot is that you may introduce more non-ferrous target masking by increasing iron bias because the filter delay may result in one-way signals or or worse (no signal) as the processor attempts to recover from filtering out the probable falsing iron. The other issue is related to the 600 specifically - since it has coarser adjustability for iron bias (just as it does for recovery speed), each incremental increase in iron bias has a more pronounced effect on the degree of filtering (and the corresponding potential for masking). Cudamark's recommendation to up IB to 3 (for the 800) falls smack between IB settings of 1 and 2 for the 600. I would still give it a shot though to see how it does.

Another suggestion I stems from the fact that iron falsing tends to get worse with higher operating frequencies. So try switching modes to a lower weighted frequency spectrum like Park 1 or Field 1 (remember that the Park 1 IB default is "2" on the 600, so you might want to dial that back to 1 or 0) while dialing up recovery speed. Another thing you can try is switching to single frequency like 5 or 10 khz with the higher recovery speed as the lower single frequency may reduce falsing. Note that in single frequency, IB does not work as it is only active while in Multi. HTH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread