Still Confused Part IV - Hopefully not for long

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Part III I told you how my 800 was still messing up, even after they replaced the pod head.

Sent it back in for the third time, with video's, again.

Received a call this morning from John at Minelab and they are replacing both the pod head and the coil. They said it was doing the same errors for them as it did for me.

So hopefully, the new unit will work correctly. I will let you know as soon as receive it and can test it out.

I will say Minelab and John have been very nice about this and helping me.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, but if it does it again, buy something else. Life's too short to have a machine in the shop all the time.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange deal, hope it works out. Like smokey's reply, i'd be looking at something else after this.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Perhaps a Tesoro Compadre is in your future..

gw

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
saanich --

You have been quite "cursed," with your Equinox, and also quite patient. Minelab seems to be doing a decent job of working with you, but I'd be pretty ticked, at this point. STILL, it's good to know that Minelab is taking care of things, even if it's been a drawn-out, frustrating process.

I sure hope you have enough patience to see it through, and give the machine a fair shake, once you FINALLY have a properly working one. These are outstanding units, in my opinion, and you deserve some very good finds with yours, once you finally have a properly functioning one!

Steve

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my new pod head and new coil arrived yesterday.

Looking forward to seeing how they work!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst problem I ever had with a machine was a complete and total failure of the unit after I sat down at the beach to chomp a cheese stick. I had turned it off and hadn't turned it back on! I also fell in a hole in the sand I dug once....

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a loose coil connection ruin a one time only permission last year. :icon_scratch: DUH!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nagant -- that is just AWFUL! Wow...

Saanich -- I look forward to hearing how the "new machine" treats you...

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a loose coil connection ruin a one time only permission last year. :icon_scratch: DUH!

That is a heartbreaker.

I take a lot of grief based on the cluttered condition of the back of my truck, but whenever possible I have a backup detector or at least backup coils/headphones/batteries etc., especially for those one time opportunities. In fact, I'll change up detectors in the middle of a hunt simply due the fact that I am getting skunked. I try to keep finicky hardware from ruining an outing for me whenever possible. Air travel limits my ability to do that, however.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually have more than one machine with me, a couple coils for each, spare headphones, two diggers, (in the car) and always two pinpointers one on belt and one in pouch. BUT changing machines due to getting skunked?? Man, that's just a little superstitious to me!! LOL! Lady luck be a fickle woman for sure, I guess I just keep with one machine on a slow day just to let that machine have a chance to vindicate itself.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, I have seen the insides of your truck. The back. "Cluttered Condition" doesn't come close. So let's see...a family of 6 lives there with all their stuff...or, you gotta stop all that dumpster diving...or if you ever need to change a tire just dial 911. Oh, yeah, seen it! Been there! And don't ever tell anyone about your soundless stainless steel shovel.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, I have seen the insides of your truck. The back. "Cluttered Condition" doesn't come close. So let's see...a family of 6 lives there with all their stuff...or, you gotta stop all that dumpster diving...or if you ever need to change a tire just dial 911. Oh, yeah, seen it! Been there! And don't ever tell anyone about your soundless stainless steel shovel.

No one seems to complain when I save their hunt with a spare coil, pinpointer, headphones, or even an entire detector and that has happened more times than I can count. I love my SS shovel. Keeps the neighbors on their toes.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I took my "new" unit over to the local school yard last night and it seems to work okay. I found some trash, and bits of metal and about 65 cents

The only issue and it may be me, is when I was doing the ground balance, it does not make any sounds. I could see the VDI numbers but could hear any tones like my old unit did and like I see in the videos on line?

Is there an adjustment for the tone sound volume control?

This happen in both manila and automatic

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just talked with John at Minelab. It seems that the ground around where I live is so little minerals in it that it will not cause the ground balance sounds.

He told me do try to ground balance (which would never happen) over a piece of metal.

When I did this the ground balance made the sounds like it is suppose to make.

So from what I can tell, it seems I have a now have a good, working unit !!

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just talked with John at Minelab. It seems that the ground around where I live is so little minerals in it that it will not cause the ground balance sounds.

He told me do try to ground balance (which would never happen) over a piece of metal.

When I did this the ground balance made the sounds like it is suppose to make.

So from what I can tell, it seems I have a now have a good, working unit !!

U had any selfies with Drake?:tongue3:

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions