Warning: Insect Repellent On Nox Handles

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Insect repellents can damage Nox handles.
Here in the Lowcountry we have such a wonderful variety of flying bloodsuckers.
Skeeters, horse flies, deer flies, cow flies, black flies and sand gnats.
Usually I get hit by one or two depending on where I'm at.
Working a new site and got a major bug assault, gnats, skeeters, horse flies and black flies.
I have an essential oil and alcohol mix I use, but it was gone.
Somebody had left some Deep Woods Off in the Jeep so I sprayed down with that.
Didn't want to spray my face so I sprayed some on my hands and rubbed on my face.
Picked up my Nox and started working.
Very shortly the handle started feeling slick.
Went to the Jeep and cleaned my hands and the Nox with alcohol wipes.
It was too late, the handle showed slight peeling.
Be careful with bug repellent around your Nox.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew there was a drawback to the EQ...

Mosquitos and biting bugs never bite my Excal.

:P

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a thermacell repeller, works great.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've wrapped my handle with tennis handle grip wrap.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tell me more! I've always considered that sort of device to be pseudoscience, at best*. You're saying that it really works? How about for ticks? Or, are they not a problem where you live?

I see a lot of positive reviews on Amazon for this one: https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Cartridge-Repellent-Protection-Mosquito-Free/dp/B004ASNM9O

* Edit: I thought those were ultrasound devices. Looks like I jumped to an incorrect assumption. They use a repellent. Still interested in details, though.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think this is unique to the plastic used by Minelab. Insect repellants commonly melt plastics. I prefer to eat enough garlic that it exudes from my pores and keeps the little biting buggers away...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Deet is an incredible poison that is used as a wood preservative. Do not use. Instead try a small spray bottle filled with apple cider vinegar. “They don’t bite! They don’t even lite!” As the old commercial goes. You may smell like a salad but it is far more healthier than poisoning yourself with deet.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem I have with vinegar is it attracts fruit flies.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deet is an incredible poison that is used as a wood preservative. Do not use. Instead try a small spray bottle filled with apple cider vinegar. “They don’t bite! They don’t even lite!” As the old commercial goes. You may smell like a salad but it is far more healthier than poisoning yourself with deet.
How does the vinegar work for ticks? I hate putting on Deet but know it keeps the ticks away.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me more! I've always considered that sort of device to be pseudoscience, at best*. You're saying that it really works? How about for ticks? Or, are they not a problem where you live?

I see a lot of positive reviews on Amazon for this one: https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Cartridge-Repellent-Protection-Mosquito-Free/dp/B004ASNM9O

* Edit: I thought those were ultrasound devices. Looks like I jumped to an incorrect assumption. They use a repellent. Still interested in details, though.

Works well for flying buggers but the device itself gets hot because it is basically a butane powered glow plug that heats a pad saturated with repellant similar to permetherin . For ticks I use clothing treated with permethrin. It works ok while walking around swinging but is less effective if you are moving fast. Ideally, it works best if stationary (like in a deer stand) but I have found it works ok whike casually swinging the detector.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ill admit

I use deet , + other name brand bug repellent , I would love a easy alternative .

Skeeters , & chiggers are my main foes & once 'skeeter bitten' ill itch myself into a panic attack.

Never wear shorts to hunt anymore . = Sad Face.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works well for flying buggers but the device itself gets hot because it is basically a butane powered glow plug that heats a pad saturated with repellant similar to permetherin . For ticks I use clothing treated with permethrin. It works ok while walking around swinging but is less effective if you are moving fast. Ideally, it works best if stationary (like in a deer stand) but I have found it works ok whike casually swinging the detector.

Agree 100%

Same with the Citronella Candles depends of witch way the wind blows .

If you sitting under a are of High Air Pressure with no wind they work better , FWIW.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
How does the vinegar work for ticks? I hate putting on Deet but know it keeps the ticks away.

Not sure, never had any ticks on me. It seems to keep swarms of mosquitos off though. My nephew and I were the only ones out in this infested campground because of how bad the mosquitos were and each spray on exposed skin was effective for 20-30 minutes before we would give it a light spray again.

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most liquid insect repellents damage automobile paints, some plastics, rubber, and so on. What I would do is to spray the repellent on my clothing and footwear, only.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most liquid insect repellents damage automobile paints, some plastics, rubber, and so on. What I would do is to spray the repellent on my clothing and footwear, only.

Why are you directing that comment at me (you quoted me)? Thermacell is not a liquid repellant, it is airborne.

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you directing that comment at me (you quoted me)? Thermacell is not a liquid repellant, it is airborne.
I apologize. I wasn't paying attention when responding to the OP.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re-Read post #10, then do an internet search if you want more info.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread