Side to Side when GBing?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw someone say that in highly mineralized soil one could move the coil side to side instead of up and down while ground grabbing. Has anyone used this technique and does it work? Thanks!

Yes it works. It is a sidebar on page 40 of the user guide:

"If the Auto Ground Balance process does not greatly reduce ground noise (due to highly mineralised ground or high salt levels), then repeat the Auto Ground Balance process by sweeping the coil from side-to-side, rather than the standard up-and-down motion."

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks folks. I wonder why we just don't GB side to side all the time.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is preferred to GB over a specific point as the reference, but sometimes, the degree of mineralization makes it difficult to get a good reading unless you sweep side-to-side to enable the Equinox to "see" how mineralization changes over a sweep area. Really speculating here as I have never had trouble getting a sat GB by pumping.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is preferred to GB over a specific point as the reference, but sometimes, the degree of mineralization makes it difficult to get a good reading unless you sweep side-to-side to enable the Equinox to "see" how mineralization changes over a sweep area. Really speculating here as I have never had trouble getting a sat GB by pumping.

Sounds like what it is doing is averaging a sample of points when you go side to side. Interesting idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread