Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In a previous post of mine, the sticky at the top of this forum, I made the case for using 3 tones based on Low, Medium and High conductive targets; a system I routinely use in hunting our Florida beaches. It's simple, effective and gives me the information I really need.

The videos below however, make a strong case for 2 tones and the "Dig it All" approach when using the Equinox series detectors. Why? As you'll see in those videos, the tested targets span the VDI spectrum based on metallurgical composition, shape and size. Granted, these are nothing more than air tests which aren't affected by depth, moisture or ground mineralization but they at least provide some indication as to how a variety of targets range the VDI scale based on their individual characteristics.

If using 2 tones, I would personally set the tone breaks at -9 to 0 using tone pitch 1 indicating probable junk and the second tone break at 1 thru 40 using tone pitch 25.

If I were interested only in a more detailed target description, I would lean heavily toward the CTX 3030. However, in the type of beach hunting I do, I favor the Multi IQ, faster processor, enhanced sensitivity and weight of the EQX over the CTX...just my personal preference or as I always say, "Just the view from my foxhole."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7345qtsc7s&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMHH5ynSwW0&feature=youtu.be

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice videos Dan.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Everything above nails has potential!

gw

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all let God sort it out. Or your better half if they gold from aluminum.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the beach, I use 50 tones and hunt in all metal. I still dig all non-ferrous, but, I think I get more depth and target info that way.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a previous post of mine, the sticky at the top of this forum, I made the case for using 3 tones based on Low, Medium and High conductive targets; a system I routinely use in hunting our Florida beaches. It's simple, effective and gives me the information I really need.

The videos below however, make a strong case for 2 tones and the "Dig it All" approach when using the Equinox series detectors. Why? As you'll see in those videos, the tested targets span the VDI spectrum based on metallurgical composition, shape and size. Granted, these are nothing more than air tests which aren't affected by depth, moisture or ground mineralization but they at least provide some indication as to how a variety of targets range the VDI scale based on their individual characteristics.

If using 2 tones, I would personally set the tone breaks at -9 to 0 using tone pitch 1 indicating probable junk and the second tone break at 1 thru 40 using tone pitch 25.

If I were interested only in a more detailed target description, I would lean heavily toward the CTX 3030. However, in the type of beach hunting I do, I favor the Multi IQ, faster processor, enhanced sensitivity and weight of the EQX over the CTX...just my personal preference or as I always say, "Just the view from my foxhole."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7345qtsc7s&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMHH5ynSwW0&feature=youtu.be

I have written on this before. Can anyone explain why I would want any more than ONE TONE at the beach?

I am looking for good repeatable targets +1 and better. What do I care if they ring in different? THAT is what I have a number readout for.

I feel that I get so much more information on target size and depth, length, crispiness in one tone. Also I do not have issues with ignoring a tick that might be in a wrong tone. In my world [one tone] everything gets investigated.

Dave

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dave, I think, more than anything, it’s a purely personal preference. I prefer 3 tones corresponding to low, mid and high conductive targets. If 1 tone is and has been successful for you, that’s what counts.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have written on this before. Can anyone explain why I would want any more than ONE TONE at the beach?

I am looking for good repeatable targets +1 and better. What do I care if they ring in different? THAT is what I have a number readout for.

I feel that I get so much more information on target size and depth, length, crispiness in one tone. Also I do not have issues with ignoring a tick that might be in a wrong tone. In my world [one tone] everything gets investigated.

Dave

I don't use 50 tones at the beach to determine whether I dig or not. I use it to better I.D. the target, which is a real advantage when hunting turfed areas at other times.....especially junky ones. At parks, I don't dig everything, as, there are just too many low and mid tones to dig in a lifetime. If old coins are a possibility, I dig 12-13 (nickels) and 19-up. If old coins are unlikely, I'll still dig the nickel sounds, but, only dig 22-up on the high end, so, I don't dig so many zinc cents. At all venues, I usually hunt in all metal and just ignore the bad tones/numbers. It can be overwhelming at first, but, you get used to it after a while. Being able to hear the iron can sometimes ferret out a good target you might otherwise miss if it's partially masked. About the only time I don't hunt in all metal, is at a modern urban park or other area where the iron is REALLY thick. While detecting the beach in 50 tones, I like to play "guess that tune" to keep my ear sharp, and I'm getting pretty good at it too! :laughing7:.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! Yes...dig it all is the only way:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread