Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to local elementary school with my daughter. Used the basic park 1 later the park 2 after doom g the initial power on and ground balance.
Playgrounds were not so lucky as they either had mulch or ground up tires. Plus anything within a out 2 foot of the play set poles started making the 800 go off. Headed over to the soccer field and walked the edges.
Dug a lot of 11-13’s which must mean beer cans and pop tops. Bet I dug 15 of those. Finally hit a nice solid 23 that was two inches down, dug out my first find.
3550ACF9-248F-4F6D-ACB2-727E37226221.jpeg

Tired from diggin with that little hand shovel. But had a good time with my daughter especially when I finally pulled something besides a can out!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great time to me with your daughter. Welcome to T-Net and get back out there, you will start finding bigger and getter finds!

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to local elementary school with my daughter. Used the basic park 1 later the park 2 after doom g the initial power on and ground balance.
Playgrounds were not so lucky as they either had mulch or ground up tires. Plus anything within a out 2 foot of the play set poles started making the 800 go off. Headed over to the soccer field and walked the edges.
Dug a lot of 11-13’s which must mean beer cans and pop tops. Bet I dug 15 of those. Finally hit a nice solid 23 that was two inches down, dug out my first find.
View attachment 1725751

Tired from diggin with that little hand shovel. But had a good time with my daughter especially when I finally pulled something besides a can out!

More time with unit you’ll improve and have much more confidence in unit. Won’t hurt to practice pinpointing and sizing targets via using pinpoint, lifting coil, watching depth meter, etc.

You need minimum 100 hours of in field use imo before you’ll have a good idea of detector’s capabilities/behavior/ tendencies.

Congrats on your purchase.

OP
OP
S

Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Advice/wisdom?

Good places to hunt near home without needing permission?
Good places near home to hunt where permission is probably easy?
I live near the battle of sharpsburg/newnan Georgia so thinking maybe walk the edges of the creek one day, just don’t like the idea of the water moccasins (shudder).

What about sounds? I’ve noticed pennies at least modern appear to tone similar to pull tabs and beer cans.

So things I think I’ve learned so far. Check left right then turn 90 degrees check again. Found a few items that the tone was thin one way and the other I got a long tone telling me it was a longer piece of something. Dug two, one was a old piece of pipe, another a long strip of aluminum.
Also once you pinpoint set coil all the way to the ground to get true depth or get used to subtracting the distance from coil to ground to get approx depth you’ll be digging.
Other lesson. Spades probably better than this metal detectors plug knife thingy. Especially in not so easy to dig dirt.

School yards and football fields is it better park 1/2 or field 1/2

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
turn your sensitivity down a little bit around the poles

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since pinpoint is a non-motion mode, it can help you discern whether a target footprint is larger (e.g. a can) or coin-sized as you use the coil to trace around the target area how long the pinpoint tone stays on. After awhile you will get tge hang of it and it will become fairly obvious when a good sounding high tone target is actually a can.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done and dont give up, for the parks i hit its pull tab city I mostly dig 20s on up and only use park 1, if i find a area with older goodies Ill dig all the high tones out the go back for solid low tones unfortunately I havent had any luck yet with low tones except nickles,

Iv tried using the hand shovel for plugs but it will blow my shoulder out quick, I use a shovel to cut my plug then use the hand shovel to retrieve my target I get way cleaner holes this way and can go all day long..

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Advice/wisdom?

Good places to hunt near home without needing permission?
Good places near home to hunt where permission is probably easy?
I live near the battle of sharpsburg/newnan Georgia so thinking maybe walk the edges of the creek one day, just don’t like the idea of the water moccasins (shudder).

What about sounds? I’ve noticed pennies at least modern appear to tone similar to pull tabs and beer cans.

So things I think I’ve learned so far. Check left right then turn 90 degrees check again. Found a few items that the tone was thin one way and the other I got a long tone telling me it was a longer piece of something. Dug two, one was a old piece of pipe, another a long strip of aluminum.
Also once you pinpoint set coil all the way to the ground to get true depth or get used to subtracting the distance from coil to ground to get approx depth you’ll be digging.
Other lesson. Spades probably better than this metal detectors plug knife thingy. Especially in not so easy to dig dirt.

School yards and football fields is it better park 1/2 or field 1/2

I suggest getting a Lesche digging tool. They work great. Keep at it. Placing coins in your own yard is a great way to get used to the sounds. I also found I like 5 tones over 50. 2 tones if I’m at the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread