Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m one of those individuals who wore out my shoulder joints from a physically demanding work environment.
Recently I’ve had both my torn rotator cuffs repaired and I haven’t been able to swing anything heavier than the Deus with the elliptical coil.
I purchased one of Steve’s Rods for my Equinox, the counterbalanced version and It balances out the shaft so it just floats over the sand.
Now, people with healthy shoulders would not be affected as much swinging the standard Equinox with the 11” coil. I can swing it that way but not for long. It won’t cure arthritis but with Steve’s setup it’s much easier. Good luck!

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HEAR YOU RUSTY,

I am tempted to do Steve's counter balance mainly because it looks so cool - and I know it will help swing.

But my real physical problem is with the digging. I have one of the fancy narow, root-cutting shovels which is really nice; except the short handle is heavy! steel. But after the plug is out and I'm on my knees and the target is deeper, I do not want to get back up and use the shovel. Instead, I dig on my knees with a knife or the heavy shovel. It's KILLIN' my elbows!

Then stagger back up pull tab in hand. Gotta be a better way.

Best regards to all, Thurman

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I HEAR YOU RUSTY,

I am tempted to do Steve's counter balance mainly because it looks so cool - and I know it will help swing.

But my real physical problem is with the digging. I have one of the fancy narow, root-cutting shovels which is really nice; except the short handle is heavy! steel. But after the plug is out and I'm on my knees and the target is deeper, I do not want to get back up and use the shovel. Instead, I dig on my knees with a knife or the heavy shovel. It's KILLIN' my elbows!

That’s why I’m a beach hunter. Way easier to dig with the soft sand and a long handled sand scoop. Good luck!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HEAR YOU RUSTY,

Do you have arthritic elbows or is there something about the tools you are using? Heavy duty steel handle is important because you need to use the total mass of the shovel to move the dirt effectively. Flimsy light metal or metal/plastic tools cannot stand up to the abuse in rocky and root laden situations. A digging tool with some heft and a long embedded tang is important too. I use something called a Viking digger. Hand made. Do not see it offered any more but it is a beast.

Let us know if you find a better way to move the dirt. Yep, it ain't easy work, unfortunately.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried Steve’s weighted shaft and it feels a lot lighter to me than the stock shaft. I haven’t ordered it yet though.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I HEAR YOU RUSTY,

welcome to my world LOL. I use my shovel to get up every time. For me the Nox is a killer, it wears me out so much faster than my Deus, mainly from being nose heavy. Now the 6" coil is awesome weight wise but you lose coverage etc. I also tend to worry about the depth that I may be losing as some of our stuff can be rather deep. Balance is everything. Ignorance....means that you are ignorant about something. We are all ignorant about something and most of us are ignorant of a lot of things. Even a brain surgeon is ignorant of many things simply because he doesn't know about them. Last that I heard, there was only One All Knowing.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Member Goldmoon made those Viking diggers, maybe still does.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Member Goldmoon made those Viking diggers, maybe still does.

Done a deep dive but it looks like he's gone off the grid, unfortunately.

Thanks for posting his Tnet user name, though.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welcome to my world LOL. I use my shovel to get up every time. For me the Nox is a killer, it wears me out so much faster than my Deus, mainly from being nose heavy. Now the 6" coil is awesome weight wise but you lose coverage etc. I also tend to worry about the depth that I may be losing as some of our stuff can be rather deep. Balance is everything. Ignorance....means that you are ignorant about something. We are all ignorant about something and most of us are ignorant of a lot of things. Even a brain surgeon is ignorant of many things simply because he doesn't know about them. Last that I heard, there was only One All Knowing.

dirtlooter -- that is what so many of my customers say -- that the 6" coil feels GREAT to them, but using one of the larger coils causes the machine to feel nose heavy, and therefore begins to cause pain/fatigue issues. That's why the 4 1/2" counterweight, that can hold up to 16 oz. of weight, has proven to be the most popular counterweight I sell. Reason being, 12 oz. of counterweight is the amount needed to "make the 11" coil feel just like the 6" coil feels." In other words, 12 oz. of weight counterbalances the EXTRA weight of the 11" coil, as compared to the weight of the 6" coil -- and thus, swinging the 11" coil on one of my shafts, with 12 oz. of counterweighting attached, feels essentially the same as swinging the 6" coil on the stock shaft. Likewise, it takes 15 oz. of counterweight to make the 12" x 15" coil feel as light as the 6" coil.

I know adding a carbon-fiber shaft, AND counterweight, is a bit pricey. However, with the improvements offered by the shaft itself (it's lighter in overall weight when no counterweight is attached, it features a MUCH better cam-locking system -- a heavy-duty clamp-type cam lock that eliminates any chance for wobble and permits quick, easy and unlimited lower rod adjustment, etc.), coupled with the substantial ergonomic improvement achieved through use of the optional counterweight system, plus the optional upgrade to a Herke arm cuff that I offer, and I truly believe that I can provide a shaft package that really takes the Equinox to the next level, in terms of quality and comfort.

Please let me know if I can be of service, dirtlooter.

Thanks!

Steve
Steve's Detector Rods, home of Equinox and CTX 3030 carbon-fiber shafts and rods
www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually noticed this too Steve. Even with no counter weight the CF shaft feels lighter/better.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread