Weight-Loss Program Nox 800...

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
As I get older, I certainly appreciate swinging a lighter detector. Think I got spoiled by the lighter weight of the XP Deus! (with the Nox 800...developing a lasting ache in swinging shoulder & elbow)
Really wanting to shave a few ounces of "fat" from my Equinox 800, and simply wanted to get some input, with regards to the (many) different name-brands of "Carbon-Fiber" Detector-replacement rods on the market. I have noticed ones from Anderson Rods,
Detect-Ed Red Belly LS Carbon Fiber (I like this one!), and one or two listed on this forum. If I can get the weight down close to the Deus, that'll be great!
Any info/ideas would be much appreciated! (already switching swinging/digging arm...L/R) HH :hello:

cougar14

Aug 6, 2017
Concord
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I second this thread!! Three hours with my new 800 yesterday, my swing arm is hurting. I could swing my Garrett 400 same time and never feel it. I'm thinking the large coil is putting too much weight way out on the fulcrum.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at Steve's rods as they have a counter-balance that might just be the ticket. I'm not affiliated with Steve's rods, just providing what little I know about them...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carbon fiber rods are going to shave a few ounces at most. Most of the weight is in the control pod with battery and the coil - Deus with coil and controller = 2 lbs Minelab Equinox Stock = 2.94 lbs with the stock coil. Shifting to a complete carbon fiber shaft is going get you down to about 7.5 to 8 oz., whereas the stock shaft system is about 10 oz. total. So you save about 2.5 oz at most going total carbon fiber and a two-piece shaft (eliminating some of the additional cam lock hardware). That is still more than 3/4 lb heavier than the Deus. As HPH said, Steves Detector rods come with a counterbalance system. You add overall weight, but the complete system seems more balanced, taking some stress off your joints. That may be the ticket, but you are still adding weight overall so I have personally avoided the counterbalance system, though I do use Steve's rod systems which are excellent quality.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second this thread!! Three hours with my new 800 yesterday, my swing arm is hurting. I could swing my Garrett 400 same time and never feel it. I'm thinking the large coil is putting too much weight way out on the fulcrum.

Did you have the same size coil on the 400 as the Equinox? If not, apples to oranges comparison. Counterweight might help as previously suggested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
usmcscorpio

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
Thanks for the advice/input guys! There's lot's I like about the Nox 800...but I'm not a fan at all of the additional weight compared to the Deus! (NEVER had my elbow/shoulder feel this way...even after several hours swinging the Deus)
Relative to the cost of the new carbon-fiber replacement rods, shaving off 2-3 oz, doesn't seem worth the extra $.
As much as I'd like BOTH...it might be time to whittle it down to the lightest. (I wish that Minelab would introduce something similar to the NOX 800...but wireless/less weight. Thanks again everyone! :hello:

Last edited:

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own carbon shaft. I don't use a counter balance but experimented with the idea. Don't remember exact weight but guess 5-6 once was pretty nice. I have a back up battery about the size of a roll of half dollars but not as big around. Weight is about right but need to get around to making a sleeve to fit in the C/F shaft. Really don't need the battery and i don't hunt long enough to bother me. But if i start detecting over 3/4 hours i will be rigging it up.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding a weight to lighten weight?

Last edited:

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 67 and going to a Minelab CTX 3030 was a huge change.... It weighs 5.07 pounds !!! But, it is a well balanced machine and I love it, now that I'm use to it..

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
on my better days, I use the Nox, the more trying days, the deus. The nox does wear me out faster for sure

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 72 and do not find the Nox to be nose heavy or cause shoulder or elbow pain after hunting all day. Now on the other hand my AT-Max I find it to be bit nose heavy (at least more than the Nox) I use the stock coil on the Max. I do not have any real pain with either units just that the Max does feel a bit heavier. I run the 11" stock coil on the 800 and have been using the 800 for well over a year now with no problems with pain.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sold a BUNCH of machines that were too heavy for me. Unfortunately, I found out AFTER I had purchased them, even the AT Pro was a little heavy. That's why I always recommend to test drive any new machine before you buy it. I could have had a nice down payment on a new car if I would have had that option once upon a time ago.

7mmstw

Greenie
Jul 8, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MX5 Treasurepro v3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Broken hearts with heavy machines... I'm a Newby here, don't want to offend anyone. I swing the mx5 with the 5.3 eclipse. It does me well, but wise it was my treasurepro. But when I go to the treasurepro, I wish I had the coil to marry it to. Any suggestions?

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 600 and I found it nose heavy till I switched over to the 6” coil. Perfect for me now.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the 6" coil would make the difference. Only drawback is on big pieces of property where the relics are scattered, you'll work yourself to death covering all of it. A 9" coil would be nice.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
usmcscorpio, and cougar14,

Please contact me, if you are interested, as I do believe I can help you both with your fatigue/pain issues. I am the owner of Steve's Detector Rods, and a sponsoring vendor here at TreasureNet, and I have literally dozens of very satisfied customers who have purchased one of my shafts, WITH the optional counterweight system, who will attest to the fact that counterbalance DOES work, and DOES eliminate the pain and fatigue caused by swinging the Equinox with one of the larger coils.

It may seem counterintuitive to "add weight" to a "light machine," but I have many customers who were once skeptics, who have now turned adamant believers in the counterweight system, after experiencing the difference counterweighting will make. There is a solid foundation of physics underlying this discussion -- which explains WHY you are experiencing pain/fatigue, and why counterweighting addresses the issue. Cougar14 -- you are right on the mark, in terms of bringing "fulcrums" into the discussion. YES -- it's that heavy coil, at the end of a long lever, with NO weight at the other end of the shaft, that results in the nose-heaviness, and subsequent pain and fatigue. I have explained this at length in other posts here, but the bottom line is that at the end of that long lever (the shaft), gravity acting on the weight of the coil, using leverage to its advantage, means that you have to counteract all that leveraged weight with your arm/wrist/shoulder, in order to keep the coil floating just above the ground. It doesn't matter HOW light you make the machine; with one of the large (relatively heavy) Equinox coils sitting out at the end of a long shaft, with NO compensating weight at the butt-end of the shaft, you are going to feel it. And the only two ways I know of to reduce the leveraged weight of the coil, are by a.) using a sling, OR b.) by adding a bit of counterweighting. Every ounce of counterweighting you add, allows gravity to act in YOUR favor, exerting a downward force out at the butt-end of the shaft. And since that downward force, at the butt end of the shaft, OPPOSES the downward force of gravity acting on the coil end of the shaft, the result is a SIMPLE, ABSOLUTE REDUCTION of the amount of opposing force that YOU have to add, with your arm/wrist/shoulder. It's really that simple. No matter how counterintuitive it might be, it's a fact, and it works.

For more information, please check out the blog post on my webpage (under the "What's New" tab), that talks all about the theory of counterweighting, and my counterweight option for my shafts, at www.stevesdetectorrods.com/blog/index.php. You can also read the words of many customers who attest to the effectiveness of my shaft, and the counterweight system, in terms of improving the Equinox's ergonomics and eliminating pain/fatigue, under the "testimonials" tab on my website, at www.stevesdetectorrods.com/testimonials.php. You can also read the words of many satisfied customers, within my "shaft" posts here on T-Net, as well as several other detecting forums.

Finally, if you'd like to speak with me directly, for a one-on-one consultation, I'm pleased to do so, either by phone, or email. Just send me a PM here at T-Net, or an email to steve@stevesdetectorrods, and let me know that you'd like to chat. I'm always happy to help.

Thanks!

Steve
www.stevesdetectorrods.com
www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

email: [email protected]

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will also vouch for Steve's counter balance setup. Worked for my shoulder pain. Can swing that machine all day long without a problem

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A well balanced 4 pound unit will feel lighter then a nose heavy 3 lb unit after a short time.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Rx for shoulder pain is to add one of Steve’s Counter Balanced Detector Rods. Then Go detect! I suffer from osteoarthritis in both shoulders with repaired torn rotators. Ouch! Steve’s Rods have helped immensely. Highly recommended for anyone suffering with arm and shoulder pain. Helps to keep you in the game and swinging.

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just get a hipstick instead of a carbon shaft. The hip stick is cheaper and you can easily swing the 15” coil with it. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread