Iron filings on EOX and charging cord, prevent charging

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I made a video on my phone but have no idea how to put it in this post.
Recently I've been having problems charging my new eox. Thought it was a problem with the machine, it would look like it was charging with the green light flashing but hours later it hadn't charged at all. I thought it was a problem with the charging cord so I went and got the second cord that came with the machine and compared the two, they were different, you can see the picture. EOX charger.jpg . I switched the cords and my problem was fixed, the machine took the charge.
Last night I went to charge it again but this morning the light was still flashing and I'm pretty sure the charge actually went down.
When I inspected the cable I realized the shiny ends were black and at first thought they were burned but when I wiped them realized they are magnets covered completely with iron filings!
I use the EOX in salt water that is well over the machine, sometimes up to my shoulders. I'm going to say when I sift for a target small dust size particles containing iron/rust are landing and sticking to the magnetized points on my machine, when I connect the charging cable those particles transfer to the much stronger magnets on the cable. In my case only one use in the water is enough to cover the points to make them look black, and prevent a proper connection for charging. I used a Qtip to roll across the magnets, the filings got stuck in the fibers and I was able to remove the iron in about a minute.
I hope this helps somebody that has the same problem, and by the way I can also see this happening if the machine was picking up rust or soil containing iron in your vehicle. just washing with fresh water will not help.
Good luck

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up.... Little compressed air should clean it up eh...

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I’m going to go and check mine right now.

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the heads up.... Little compressed air should clean it up eh...
If you hit that with compressed air use safety glasses, its very fine metal particles you don't want it in your eyes.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv had to have metal removed from my eye ball...not fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread