Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently installed one of Steve’s Detector Rods on my Equinox and wanted to share a few observations. When I’m particularly impressed with a product, I like to let the maker and others know my thoughts...good or bad.

The first impression out of the box was very positive. The build quality of this two piece system, both material and workmanship, is absolutely excellent. The cuttings are smooth and the fittings precise. You can immediately tell Steve uses only the best materials in the overall construction. Being a scientist, his penchant for precision is obvious in everything he does. Another very important fact about Steve—he’s a one-man-shop small businessman and an avid detectorist who knows what we need from personal detecting experience.

Now for a few specifics. The locking mechanism is extremely sturdy and I really appreciate his use of an adjustment knob instead of having to hunt down or carry a screw driver in order to adjust the locking tab tension. I quickly noticed another user friendly design feature on Steve’s part. He uses easily found round washers on the lower rod where it connects to the coil ears! I don’t know about you, but I was amazed at how expensive those tear drop washers are when or if they ever need replaced. Thank you Steve!

Another unique offering of Steve’s rods is the available counterbalance weight. As many have commented on these forums, the Equinox is inherently nose heavy...particularly with the 15 inch coil. Although his shafts are extremely light in their own right, a mere 7.86 ounces of combined weight of the two shafts, the counterbalance weight makes a huge difference in the perceived weight. When you first look at this counterbalance weight you may think that it only serves to add more total weight to the Equinox...and you’re right. However, when I installed that weight on the back end of the shaft, the balance was markedly improved...balance being a key factor of perceived weight. The designed fulcrum effect makes the detector simply feel lighter and makes it much easier to manipulate. I’m sure I could swing this Equinox for hours, even without the use of a harness, and my arm would be just fine.

The stability of this set up is incomparable...and I’ve used many shafts on many detectors over many decades of metal detecting. One design aspect that may go unnoticed is that Steve’s lower shaft is 1.75” longer than the factory shaft—and he can make them longer upon request. This simple idea allows more of the lower rod to remain in the upper shaft giving it added stability even at extended lengths—not one wit of wobble with this one!

An aspect I also appreciate is the elimination of the restrictive spring button adjustment system. The button only allows you to adjust the shaft to a factory predetermined series of lengths. Steve’s approach allows you to adjust the shaft to any length with which you feel comfortable.

This guy has really thought the design through and focused his efforts on all those “little things” that make a big difference.

Steve offers his shafts in an array of colors. Black, Red, Blue, Green and Silver. He can also provide custom work on his shafts if that’s what you need! Who else offers that? I’m obviously impressed with this young man and his workmanship and I like to let folks know when I find an outstanding product from an outstanding producer.

One last but very important comment. I have no personal or financial interest in Steve’s Detector Rods. I never met the young man and since he lives in Norman OK, probably never will since OK is a mite far from my Florida beaches! 8-)

Specifications:
Upper Shaft Length: 34 7/8 in.
Upper Shaft Weight: 4.81 oz. (136 g)
Lower Rod Length: 26 in. (custom lengths available upon request)
Lower Rod Weight: 3.06 oz. (87g)
Material: Carbon-fiber (3K, twill pattern, glossy finish)
Cam Lock material: Injection-molded Plastic (nylon)
Threaded End Cap material: Delrin
Threaded Butt-End Insert material: Delrin

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan, MANY THANKS for your thorough review; it is VERY much appreciated! I really appreciate the kind words!

Steve

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice review! I have to agree with all of it, too!

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son ordered one for me for my bday. I’m excited to get it!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all that important information Dan. I might just need one in the future. Right now things are ok but that could change as time goes by.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hawks -- if you ever decide you'd like a shaft, just let me know -- a PM here on T-Net, or email to [email protected] will both work just fine!

CarsonChris -- I had no idea the shaft I sold to your son was a birthday gift! It is scheduled for arrival tomorrow -- happy birthday! Thank you!

Steve

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
got to love it when a happy customer gives an awesome review like this and spells out many of the various things that were wrong with the original design but corrected with this design. Obviously these things were well thought out and addressed in a better manner for the actual user's benefit. See, hard work and serious planning and design can be recognized as such. And posts like this can bring even more happy people to say the same thing. Sweet!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the kind words, dirtlooter! Much appreciated!

Steve

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
A few final thoughts that I’d like to share with the forum.

As 21st century technology continues its forward march, it’s more than apparent to me that carbon fiber is THE ONLY way to go for the ultimate in weight to strength ratio. I have tested dozens of set ups and have found no better solution to our shaft challenge than carbon fiber.

Having said that, it just isn’t the material alone that makes it the shaft of choice for me. More importantly, is the design and workmanship that transforms it from raw CF into a superior shaft. I know if I were to try and fabricate one of these, you could give me the best carbon fiber on the market and I would screw it up six ways from Sunday! The craftsman and his design make all the difference.

This where Steve’s attention to detail, exacting standards and obvious precision excel. There are other excellent CF shafts out there of similar design no doubt but in my opinion Steve’s are top of the heap for all the reasons I detailed in my review.

Another factor in Steve’s favor that I like; he’s one of us...an avid detectorist who treats everyone the way he would want to be treated.

Finally, keep in mind that his rods are not your run of the mill mass produced shafts. They’re all custom products.

Again, I have no personal or financial interest in Steve’s Detector Rods. This is simply me sharing my opinion of something and someone that I found favorably impressive.

Just the view from my foxhole...soldier on my friends.

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Colonel,

Thank you sir, for the additional thoughts. I really appreciate you putting your thoughts out there, and I'm SO glad that you find the shafts to your liking! As I've said, I believe in my design 100%, but what's more important is what the USERS of the shaft think -- and that's why I'm thrilled that you look upon the shaft favorably. That's the goal, of course, and it's great to know that you like the shaft as well as I do!

"Thank you" seems insufficient, but THANK YOU!!

Steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonel,

Thank you sir, for the additional thoughts. I really appreciate you putting your thoughts out there, and I'm SO glad that you find the shafts to your liking! As I've said, I believe in my design 100%, but what's more important is what the USERS of the shaft think -- and that's why I'm thrilled that you look upon the shaft favorably. That's the goal, of course, and it's great to know that you like the shaft as well as I do!

"Thank you" seems insufficient, but THANK YOU!!

Steve

Dan knows detectors and detecting and is as honest as they come, he gives his opinion based on his experience and knowledge.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good review!

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I just received mine with the counter weights. I have not used it yet but I will on Tuesday. The design is fantastic and I love the counter weight. The material and design are incredible. I can’t wait to give it a try.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
slider66 -- THANKS for the kind words! I'm glad you are pleased, and would love to hear what you think after a hunt or two!

Thanks,

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions