First hunt with my equinox 800

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get away for about an hour today. Went to a local park that has been hunted a few hundred times. It has been a few years since I've done any detecting and I'm just getting to know this machine. Found some canfetti, wouldn't it be awesome if mowing crews picked up cans instead of mincing them? Ended up finding a rosie dime and a Lincoln cent so I didn't get skunked. All in all, I'll consider it a successful first time out. I think I'm really going to like this detector.

Steve

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh air and the thrill of the hunt is what its all about.....get to know that machine I hear they are great.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the one who shredded the cans in my lawn with the mower. We're still digging a little piece occasionally. You'll like the machine, if you do real trashy areas with a lot of nails get the 6" coil to go with it. Lots of folks like them.

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While I don't know your level of experience or the specifics of your detector, I would encourage you to learn all that you can about your detector now rather than later. I spent a big chunk of change for my CTX3030 several years ago and still don't know how to use many of its features. The better you know your machine, the better your finds will be. Go beyond the owner's manual and invest in a couple of books on your specific detector written by folks who have likely spent thousands of hours mastering the machine. Good luck to you!

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will also. Good luck with your new machine!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls. Glad you got out and found something with your new machine. I think you are really going to enjoy the equinox 800. Congrats on the finds.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great first hunt. After logging a good bit of time with the Equinox my best advice is to learn it's audio. There is a lot going on with the mixed tones from this machine and once you get an ear for the "coin sound" it is unmistakable.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I don't know your level of experience or the specifics of your detector, I would encourage you to learn all that you can about your detector now rather than later. I spent a big chunk of change for my CTX3030 several years ago and still don't know how to use many of its features. The better you know your machine, the better your finds will be. Go beyond the owner's manual and invest in a couple of books on your specific detector written by folks who have likely spent thousands of hours mastering the machine. Good luck to you!

I have taken your advice and am reading the equinox series handbook by Andy Sabisch. I'm really looking forward to spending a lot time with this machine.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Switching from a Whites to Equinox was frustating at best....kind of like learning a new language....getting there was fun, but now comfortable.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You’ll enjoy the Equinox once you get it down. I use mine exclusively for beach and water hunts. It’s also my go to in super trashy areas as I’ve also purchased the 6 inch coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread