CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to give a shout out to Steve’s Detector Rods for his carbon fiber shaft. I have the shaft with the weighted end. For those people that water hunt, removing the weight from the end creates a more buoyant shaft. The shaft had less drag in the water than the stock shaft making under water detecting much easier!

I highly recommend it for water hunting!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chris --

THANKS for the kind words and feedback! I am not a water hunter, and so when a customer asks about my thoughts, regarding using the counterweight IN THE WATER (as opposed to on the land), it's always hard for me to advise. The whole equation changes, with respect to "balance," when you have the shaft submerged. So, your feedback that -- for you -- keeping the counterweight OFF, while in the water, and having success with the shaft that way, is very good information and I appreciate you sharing it.

On another of your points, I think one reason you might have "less drag" on my shaft, vs. the stock shaft, is that mine (the standard configuration) does not have the button holes. I had always assumed that having button holes would mean "more drag" in the water, and thus -- with no button holes -- I assumed that mine would glide through the water better, with less drag. Thanks for confirming that for me!

I am thrilled that you are happy with the shaft!

Thank you!

Steve
Steve's Detector Rods, home of Equinox and CTX 3030 carbon-fiber shafts and rods
www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Good idea on removing the weight when in the water , I didn’t think about doing that and I did nothing my coil was a little hard keeping it on the bottom.
On land the counter weight is a must in helping the NOX be so much more comfterable.
Steve make a great high quality Carbon fiber shaft and counter weigh.
Thank you Steve

Your Friend ;
Doug

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug --

Thank you! And thanks for your additional thoughs about water hunting with the shaft. Sounds like -- as would be logical -- using less, or even NO, counterweighting when using the machine in the water, might work best...as opposed to on land, where using the counterweight is beneficial...

Thanks Doug!

Steve

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Update .
I just did a 3 hour water hunt with Steve’s carbon shaft and the 11” coil, I removed the counterweight while in the water and it was much easier to keep the coil on the bottom (it unscrews easily) Then I reinstalled the counter weight and did another four hours on the beach. I could have never done that much time hunting without the counterweight. It really helps the balance and allows me to have a longer shaft and a wider swing path.
Doug

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug,

This is great feedback for me, THANK YOU! As I said, feedback from my water-hunting customers really helps, as I'm not a water hunter...

Thank you! SO glad it's working out well for you!

Steve

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug --

Thank you! And thanks for your additional thoughs about water hunting with the shaft. Sounds like -- as would be logical -- using less, or even NO, counterweighting when using the machine in the water, might work best...as opposed to on land, where using the counterweight is beneficial...

Thanks Doug!

Steve

Maybe you should make helium filled counterweights for use in the water! (well... OK... maybe just watertight air-filled ones)

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you should make helium filled counterweights for use in the water! (well... OK... maybe just watertight air-filled ones)

LOL! Funny thing is, I just had a customer -- who purchased one of my shafts awhile back -- asking about this today! So, I am going to send him an empty counterweight, for that very reason; he is going to test it, to see whether having no weight in it will permit it to make the shaft buoyant enough to float, butt-end up...

I'm not convinced that it will be buoyant enough, but we are going to find out...

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread