How I Made the Best even Better...for me.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How I Made the Best even Better...for me: Photos added.

In my post re the Maiden Voyage of Steve’s Detector rod teamed with the Quest wireless headphones, I summarized by stating that this team was the best set for me and my type of hunting.
So how did I make the best even better? I now have 2 of Steve’s rods and 2 pair of the Quest headphones for my 2 EQXs which was a big step in making the best better. However, to cap it off, I installed a Jeff Herke’s arm cuff on each of my EQXs.

So in my opinion, I’ve now made the best set up for me even better! :icon_thumleft:

Just the view from my foxhole....

ColonelDan EQX800+.jpg

A better shot of the controlling end

EQX Business End.jpg

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool but you know what you can do to make it cooler??...post pics!!:laughing7:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the Herke cuff on mine too along with Steves CF shaft and CW. It's the way to go if you want cure most of the Equinox issues.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed ToeCutter...............pics would make this thread way cooler !! ;-)

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Colonel -- I'm so glad you like the new setup! And I agree, Jeff's cuffs are a really nice accessory. I'm happy to be partnered with him, on those...

HighVDI -- I really appreciate the endorsement!!

Toecutter and ctdirtdigger -- Dan has the silver-colored shafts; perhaps he will post pictures here. In the mean time, I do have a picture of one of my silver shafts, with a counterweight installed, from one of my other customers (though his does not include the Herke cuff). I'll post it here for you guys, an maybe Dan can show us his! :)

Thanks!

Steve

silvershaft.jpg

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Colonel you are so right.
I have Steve’s Carbon fiber shaft and the counter weight. It really helps on balancing the weight of the coil and I can now detect a lot longer and not be so tired at the end of the day. With the counter weight I can actually extend the shaft and have a nice smooth wider swing. And am not swinging by my feet. On the beach I can cover a 6-7” swing , I’m only 5’4” tall. So yes the counter weight dose make a big difference.
Steve is a really nice guy to work with you on setting you up your machine with his Carbon fiber shaft and counter weight.

Doug

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Due to popular demand, here is a photo of my EQX 800 set up with Steve's rod, Herke arm cuff and Quest wireless headphones. I used it this weekend for two days of detecting on Amelia Island Florida and it was great. Couldn't ask for a better set up.

ColonelDan EQX800+.jpg

A better shot of the controlling end!

EQX Business End.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Per request, photos have been added.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
What makes the arm cuff better than the one that comes with the machine? Which I hate by the way.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug -- THANK YOU for the very kind words; I am so glad that the shaft and counterweight is working well for you, and has made your detecting more comfortable! :)

ColonelDan -- THANKS for sharing the pictures. That setup looks really nice (but, I guess I'm a bit biased, there, LOL)!

tennessee digger -- others, such as ColonelDan, may chime in with their opinions, but I'll offer my thoughts, as I'm not only a "seller" of Jeff's "Herke" cuff, but also a user, LOL! Jeff has been making these cuffs for years, for various machines, with the only differences being tweaks to the "connection portion" of the cuff, so that it fits on different machines. I actually bought one of his cuffs about eight years ago, for my Minelab Explorer, and I loved the cuff. That's why I'm so glad to be able to offer it in a version that fits my Equinox shafts. A couple of things that make it a better cuff, IMO, are:

1. Durability. Obviously, you aren't going to break an aluminum cuff, whereas you could (and some have) break the plastic stock cuff.

Fit. Being made of (black powder-coated) aluminum, the cuff can be "molded," slightly, to fit your own forearm diameter, since aluminum is a slightly pliable metal.

Weight. The Herke cuff weighs about 8.5 oz., versus the 4 oz. stock cuff. While some might see the extra weight as a negative, it is -- ESPECIALLY in the case of the Equinox -- a POSITIVE, as that extra 4.5 oz. of weight is in the RIGHT LOCATION, i.e. in the BUTT-END of the shaft. Thus, it assists in counterbalancing the nose-heaviness that the Equinox is so known for.

Comfort. Especially with the optional, padded neoprene cover added, the cuff is very comfortable to use.

Hopefully, this helps to answer your question, digger; perhaps another opinion or two will be offered, as well, by others...

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Doug -- THANK YOU for the very kind words; I am so glad that the shaft and counterweight is working well for you, and has made your detecting more comfortable! :)

ColonelDan -- THANKS for sharing the pictures. That setup looks really nice (but, I guess I'm a bit biased, there, LOL)!

tennessee digger -- others, such as ColonelDan, may chime in with their opinions, but I'll offer my thoughts, as I'm not only a "seller" of Jeff's "Herke" cuff, but also a user, LOL! Jeff has been making these cuffs for years, for various machines, with the only differences being tweaks to the "connection portion" of the cuff, so that it fits on different machines. I actually bought one of his cuffs about eight years ago, for my Minelab Explorer, and I loved the cuff. That's why I'm so glad to be able to offer it in a version that fits my Equinox shafts. A couple of things that make it a better cuff, IMO, are:

1. Durability. Obviously, you aren't going to break an aluminum cuff, whereas you could (and some have) break the plastic stock cuff.

Fit. Being made of (black powder-coated) aluminum, the cuff can be "molded," slightly, to fit your own forearm diameter, since aluminum is a slightly pliable metal.

Weight. The Herke cuff weighs about 8.5 oz., versus the 4 oz. stock cuff. While some might see the extra weight as a negative, it is -- ESPECIALLY in the case of the Equinox -- a POSITIVE, as that extra 4.5 oz. of weight is in the RIGHT LOCATION, i.e. in the BUTT-END of the shaft. Thus, it assists in counterbalancing the nose-heaviness that the Equinox is so known for.

Comfort. Especially with the optional, padded neoprene cover added, the cuff is very comfortable to use.

Hopefully, this helps to answer your question, digger; perhaps another opinion or two will be offered, as well, by others...

Thanks!

Steve

I agree with Steve on his description of the Herke arm cuff. Having spent a good part of my life on and around tanks, I like strength in all my equipment! :laughing7: Jeff's arm cuffs fit that bill to a T.

Just FYI, since all my hunting is in and around saltwater, I didn't use the stick on pad Jeff sends with his cuffs. I prefer the bare aluminum that can be cleaned easily and doesn't hold the sand....but that's just my personal preference.

In any case, Jeff's arm cuffs installed on Steve's detector rod is perfect for me.

Just the view from my foxhole...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - glad you took my recco on the Quest phones. At the time I hadn't acquired them for test. I am still bouncing them off my Miccus phones but need to do more testing, but the water resistant specs were right and I like the pair that I use with ny Deus, so took the plunge too with my Equinox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread