Question for Minelab

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you supply a second update that targets gold better than silver? I have found gold rings from 9 to 17 and have seen one gold ring hit 32. The problem is on a salt beach lots of trash also comes in from 1 to 19 and that means I have to dig every hit. I know that some of your detectors do a better job of detecting gold and would be willing to try a different computer program that might separate gold from trash better.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes please Mine Lab I only want to dig gold all this aluminum is making it difficult and I dont want to work this hard to retrieve the gold, also can you make a magnet that will pick aluminum out of the ground, and maybe a pair of shoes with a shovel on one and a pin pointer on the other I dont want to bend over any more... Thank you

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ed,

What you are asking for, is essentially not possible using current technology. The Equinox is VERY sensitive to gold targets -- it will find gold quite well, even very small gold pieces. However, since a detector doesn't "read" the actual metallic content of an object, but instead it tries to "infer" target ID from the characteristics of the electrical currents induced in the target (by the transmitted electromagnetic energy from the coil), then any type of target whose induced electromagnetic field is similar, will read similarly on the machine in terms of ID number. And unfortunately, the electromagnetic field induced by the coil's transmit signal in, say, a pull tab, is nearly identical to that induced in a gold ring. Therefore, both objects are identified by the machine's ID algorithms at being "the same," and thus are assigned the same tone and VDI.

So, it's not an issue where you need to find a detector that "does a better job of detecting gold;" the Equinox does an EXCELLENT job "detecting" gold. You are instead, I think, wishing for a machine that ID's gold with a unique ID that is different from foil, or shards of aluminum, or pull tabs, or lead sinkers, or whatever. Believe me, EVERYONE wants this! However, as I said, with current technology (induction-balanced VLF detectors), that is next to impossible, to do.

Steve

Can you supply a second update that targets gold better than silver? I have found gold rings from 9 to 17 and have seen one gold ring hit 32. The problem is on a salt beach lots of trash also comes in from 1 to 19 and that means I have to dig every hit. I know that some of your detectors do a better job of detecting gold and would be willing to try a different computer program that might separate gold from trash better.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ed,

What you are asking for, is essentially not possible using current technology. The Equinox is VERY sensitive to gold targets -- it will find gold quite well, even very small gold pieces. However, since a detector doesn't "read" the actual metallic content of an object, but instead it tries to "infer" target ID from the characteristics of the electrical currents induced in the target (by the transmitted electromagnetic energy from the coil), then any type of target whose induced electromagnetic field is similar, will read similarly on the machine in terms of ID number. And unfortunately, the electromagnetic field induced by the coil's transmit signal in, say, a pull tab, is nearly identical to that induced in a gold ring. Therefore, both objects are identified by the machine's ID algorithms at being "the same," and thus are assigned the same tone and VDI.

So, it's not an issue where you need to find a detector that "does a better job of detecting gold;" the Equinox does an EXCELLENT job "detecting" gold. You are instead, I think, wishing for a machine that ID's gold with a unique ID that is different from foil, or shards of aluminum, or pull tabs, or lead sinkers, or whatever. Believe me, EVERYONE wants this! However, as I said, with current technology (induction-balanced VLF detectors), that is next to impossible, to do.

Steve

Thank you for saying that so much better than Toecutter did.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Iron Buzz said. Anyway, due to the carat content of gold, metals it's alloyed with, shape, size and weight, gold can come in almost ANYWHERE on a VDI scale. Sgoss66 is correct, it is not possible for today's technology to tell the difference. Just consider aluminum pull tabs. Even they vary in size, some are broken, some deformed, etc.

Maybe in 10 years. Maybe not. The only thing I think that would work is a real time visual display of the target, and you would probably pay 20 grand for that machine. The visual display machines I have seen these days aren't up to the task, they are very slow.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we’ll be waiting a long time for a machine like that. I’m 67 and I don’t see it happening in my time and if it does I won’t be able to afford one.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't be able to afford one either.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since most of us aren’t hunting any deeper than a foot, I DO think hi res imaging is possible, and could be affordable. Tweaking a fish finder can’t be THAT hard, can it??

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread