South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been swinging the Nox 600 with the stock coil for a year now. I had an opportunity to buy a used 6” several months back, but declined as I still did not feel I had mastered the Nox with the 11” coil. I now probably have 3-400 hours on the Nox and decided to buy the 6”, arriving tomorrow.

My intent is to use it at several old cellar hole sites that have produced significant finds, but have areas of thick iron and overgrown brush. Squeezing the small coil in the tight spots seems like it could unveil a few hidden finds that the 11” could not access.

These sites have very little EMI and good soil. I run my 11” in Park1, Sensitivity 21, Recovery 2 (3 or 4 on the 800), auto GB, Horseshoe on. What changes should I make with the 6”?

Thx!

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 6" seems to be everyone's go to for trashy areas. I haven't found a need for one yet though. If it were me I'd just start where you are now and make adjustments as necessary for your needs. That way you can see the difference in the coils.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine 3-4 sensitivity 23-25. I’ve found stuff down to 7” or so. I found clad and wheat pennies where all I could hear was iron tones with the 11”.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
more of a really slowing down and covering a smaller area more completely. At this point I just change coils and keep going unless something obvious needs addressed. for what you mean to use it for, should be awesome. Good luck

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the iron is bad, you may have to raise the recovery speed. You might be able to increase the sensitivity with the smaller coil.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
If you have a trashy area.
if you have a small swimming hole beach.
This last weekend I was at a local big beach here in Michigan I decided to to go near and around the steel posted slide.
lowered the sensitivity a lot so I could get closer the slide and post where others couldn’t get to. Well it paid off as I got a Canadian Large Cent from around 1900. Poor condition but so what.
when I first got my 6” I went to a local swimming hole. One wedding band and a 18k gold ring. I don’t think I would have been able to pinpoint them with the 11” inch. So if your detect locks on to something solid with the 6” it’s gonna be under that coil.
if you use the 6” in the right place you will get stuff others miss.
Getting use to the 6” no problem it works the same as the 11.
just don’t try to fo a whole football field. Side lines of the field , I would.

Doug

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No particular advice except to tell you that I really love that coil! Of course, it all depends on where you detect, but the last two spots I hit were both in the woods, thick with underbrush and fallen dead branches. Both were cellar hole sites with a lot of iron trash. I didn't find a lot, but I have hit both spots several times, sometimes with a buddy, and we had hit them hard, and I did turn up some new stuff with the 6".

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 6” coil came in on Thursday. I had a chance to swing it at 2 colonial sites near work for a hour each. Both of these sites I have hit with the standard coil extensively and also covered both sites (both are small sites) using V’s “sifting” mode that popped quite a few more relics. The 6” coil did not produce anything. I got a bunch of falsing hightones that were rusty square nails. I was a little bummed as I had visions of this coil opening up some of my pounded sites.

This morning I was able to get in a 3 hour hunt at an old site in the city. The previous 2 sites were wide open cellar holes and I was hoping the 6” would pull keepers mixed in iron. This mornings site was overgrown with giant vines and roots so the game plan was to hit the crevices and gaps. I had pounded this site multiple times as well. First target this morning.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1567287328.974432.jpg
Nice tight 22-22 in the roots/vines, ended up being a worn but id’able left facing KG. Got 2 more awesome coins and pouch full of buttons and relics!

So here is my early take on the 6” coil.
-it operates just like the 11”, but I bumped it to 23 sensitivity without a problem
-it can lock in very easily to the “edge” of old rusty iron more so than the stock coil, so I eventually passed of a lot of crunchy one way high tones as I got tired of digging rust
-the stock coil does a great job separating good tones in iron if you go slow and drop sensitivity
-the 6” coil can get really close to chain link fence and still run at 20. This was also useful where there were buried pipes.
-I kept saying “Say hello to my little friend” after popping my 3rd old coin this morning...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the 6" coil, knock your Sensitivity down to 15-18. I know it sounds wrong, but too much sensitivity with the smaller coil can kill your depth, and seperation. Just try it for a few hours and tell me / us your thoughts.:skullflag:

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the 6" coil, knock your Sensitivity down to 15-18. I know it sounds wrong, but too much sensitivity with the smaller coil can kill your depth, and seperation. Just try it for a few hours and tell me / us your thoughts.:skullflag:

Thx Terry. Lowering the sensitivity to 15 and using Field2 with the 11” unveiled a bunch of shallow midtones. I’ll give it a try with the 6”.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
> using V’s “sifting” mode

What is "V's sifting mode"?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Terry. I got more depth at sens. 21 on my buried coins than 23 and up. The 6" is a falsing beast for sure but I found you just have to trust the machine and dig the more solid signals. Popped out a few IHP's along with a Barber dime, wheats and a V this AM at a pounded out church site with the 6" the find of the day was an 1866 2 cent piece!

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Terry. I got more depth at sens. 21 on my buried coins than 23 and up. The 6" is a falsing beast for sure but I found you just have to trust the machine and dig the more solid signals. Popped out a few IHP's along with a Barber dime, wheats and a V this AM at a pounded out church site with the 6" the find of the day was an 1866 2 cent piece!

I popped a 64 & 65 two center on Saturday. The little coil must like the oddball coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread