Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My detecting buddy recently bought the Minelab waterproof phones, and when connected directly to the detector's control panel, they sound exquisite... sharp and clear. However, when he plugs them into his WM08, he gets a fast buzzing sound. This is not EMI. I have heard it, and it is quite different. Are they supposed to be able to work with the module?

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should work fine with it. Give ML a call. They may have a simple fix.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confused, are you hunting in or out the water with the detector?

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good question. The module is NOT for use in the water. Bluetooth doesn't work if either the module or the detector is submerged.

Exactly. It not only isn't waterproof, but the signal wouldn't transmit. I'm sure he plans to plug it into the control unit when water hunting. This has nothing to do with that, though. The point is that he gets a clean signal when attached to the control unit, gets this buzzing or fast clicking sound when plugged into the WM08

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. It not only isn't waterproof, but the signal wouldn't transmit. I'm sure he plans to plug it into the control unit when water hunting. This has nothing to do with that, though. The point is that he gets a clean signal when attached to the control unit, gets this buzzing or fast clicking sound when plugged into the WM08

The reason for my question was if he was using it in the water and trying to communicate via bluetooth with the WM08. If that was the case the issue could be caused by the head partially or completely under water. Of course that is a moot point since he was using it on dry land.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is he carrying a smartphone?
From Minelab:
Avoid having the WM 08 in close proximity to other
wireless electronic devices e.g. a smartphone

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is he carrying a smartphone?
From Minelab:
Avoid having the WM 08 in close proximity to other
wireless electronic devices e.g. a smartphone

His WM08 works fine with his regular headphones. The only thing new is his waterproof phones.

Update: He tried using my WM08 and is still getting the noise.

1) Minelab waterproof phones buzz when plugged into his WM08
2) Minelab waterproof phones buzz when plugged into my WM08
3) Minelab waterproof phones do not buzz when plugged into his controller.
4) His old headphones do not buzz when plugged into his WM08.

Sounds like either the waterproof phones are not supposed to be used with the WM08, or there is a problem with his new phones.

Is there anybody here with the ML waterproof phones that can verify that they can plug their into the WM08 and it doesn't buzz? That's really all I'm asking. If nobody else is getting that buzz, then the problem has to be with his phones.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have Minelab WP headphones but it sounds like the issue is the phones. Call Minelab and tell them your returning the phones for a replacement. If WM08 works fine with the stock phones the WM08 is good, it's the headphones.

Last edited:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have Minelab WP headphones but it sounds like the issue is the phones. Call Minelab and tell them your returning the phones for a replacement. If WM08 works fine with the stock phones the WMq08 is good, it's the headphones.

You can't really say that. The headphones work fine plugged into the detector directly so by your thinking they must be good too. The problem obviously is the combination of the phones and the WM08. A call to ML is definitely in order. They may want both back unless they already know the issue.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't really say that. The headphones work fine plugged into the detector directly so by your thinking they must be good too. The problem obviously is the combination of the phones and the WM08. A call to ML is definitely in order. They may want both back unless they already know the issue.

This is first time I have heard of this type of issue, I didnt like the Minelab headphones for Equinox because the volume is so low, I use the LS Pelso and Grayghost.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CORRECTION! My buddy just informed me that the are NOT Minelab headphones. I apologize for the mistake and will correct previous posts in the thread.

They are aftermarket ones, my buddy in Florida, who is mainly a water hunter, recommended them, as he tried both and said the sound quality was better then the Minelab ones.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is first time I have heard of this type of issue, I didnt like the Minelab headphones for Equinox because the volume is so low, I use the LS Pelso and Grayghost.
I've had a couple extra bills so my waterproof phones are on hold. When I get caught up I'm ordering a set of Tony's phones.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For some reason, the forum no longer allows me to edit the initial post. I'd also like to have the thread title edited. How do I get a mod to help me with this?

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CORRECTION! My buddy just informed me that the are NOT Minelab headphones. I apologize for the mistake and will correct previous posts in the thread.
That might throw a monkey wrench in the works. ML may not have an answer on aftermarket phones.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Oh, absolutely! Minelab has nothing to do with this, as it turns out.
M taking a long shot here. The headphone may be the wrong impedance (OHMS ) and not compatible with the Minelab WM 08 .
I’d try a different set of headphones

Doug

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M taking a long shot here. The headphone may be the wrong impedance (OHMS ) and not compatible with the Minelab WM 08 .
I’d try a different set of headphones

Doug

That may be the issue.

floridabeach

Jul 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem

My detecting buddy recently bought the Minelab waterproof phones, and when connected directly to the detector's control panel, they sound exquisite... sharp and clear. However, when he plugs them into his WM08, he gets a fast buzzing sound. This is not EMI. I have heard it, and it is quite different. Are they supposed to be able to work with the module?

I bought a pair of Minelab WaterProof headphones - got them today... they work fine when plugged into my Equinox 800 directly (that's not the way I planned to use them)... when plugged into my WM08, they buzz, and there is not way to fix it - believe me I tried!
I currently use a cheap pair of headphones from Amazon plugged into my WM08, and they work great... the reason I wanted the waterproof headphones is for when it rains. I have a small waterproof case for the WM08, so it won't get wet.
I completely understand your frustration. I plan to tear apart my cheap amazon headphones and rebuild the to make them rain resistant... Minelab. you have a problem you need to fix!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread