🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. I have been noticing an increase in chatter, mostly all low tone falsing when using my equinox 600 on the beach. It gets exponentially worse if I have the coil submerged in water. I can lift the coil way above the water and swing it and it does the same thing. Low tones the whole time. Reading 0 or 1 on the screen. Do you think this is a coil problem?? I had this happen to my etrac once, and the coil was fried. I only have about 40hrs, if that, on the Nox and it hasn't been abused. Looking forward to your input. Thank you

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't heard of that before. I'd just take a shortcut and call Minelab. They will (I assume) have a quick answer for you. I would guess coil, but electronics can get odd, and it could be the main unit getting ready to give up the ghost. I certainly can't tell!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that I need to constantly remove the coil cover (usually after every hunt) and clean it and the coil. The cover is a very loose fit and let's particles in which can cause it to false. Good luck

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean my coil cover quite often now, and just took it off and cleaned it a few days ago. I didnt do any detecting, so it should have been good. I'm puzzled. Even if I swing the coil 2' off the ground, I get a long low tone that probably lasts almost a second. What's even stranger, is that it only makes that long tone when it reaches near the end if the swing. Theres no EMI, i didnt have my phone, no electric fences etc.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a different coil, if you have one. Does it change when you adjust the sensitivity?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only things I can think of is to do a Factory reset and make sure the coil wire is wrapped with no slop anywhere.....especially by the coil.

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will do another factory reset. The coil wire is snug and held tight with the stock coil velcro straps. I dont have another coil to try, so I hope a second factory reset will solve it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that doesn't do it, there really isn't anything left to do but call the maker.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine just started doing that right after I bought my new long handle scoop. I need to make sure I shorten my swing and keep the scoop behind me. It never did it with my other short handle scoop.

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old Ace 250 used to do it until I realized it was caused by my steel toe boots! :BangHead:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try leaving your gold ring on under your gloves and use that hand to try to locate a small target with a handful of dirt...and a gold ring on. Doesn't work very well.

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mobile phones are known to cause chatter in your front pocket or side. Gigmaster on YouTube had a very similar issue with chattering. Ended up to be his cell phone.

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Happened to me too. Scoop is dragged behind me now.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started dragging my scoop behind me years ago. Both my non Minelab machines would actually pick it up as a signal! Not chatter! It didn't take long to figure it out.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try leaving your gold ring on under your gloves and use that hand to try to locate a small target with a handful of dirt...and a gold ring on. Doesn't work very well.

Yeah, did this for about 3 holes one day. I was about to throw my pinpointer across the field when it hit me what was happening.:BangHead:

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RelicMedic, did you try different frequencies or multi only. Might want to see if it behaves in all frequencies. try one at a time. Maybe its interference.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Ok a few things. Do your shoes have metal eyelets. Also leave your Cell phone in the car, yea it may not bother other detectors but if the detector is more sensitive like the NOX that could be a problem, I’m guessing here though. Next is there houses near by, sometimes there WiFi can cause problems. Next try raising your Iron Bias up a notch , I’ve had to do that. You didn’t say if it was salt or fresh water. Some lakes have iron in the sand. I live near Lk Michigan and I have a magnet in my scoop and it is constantly covered with black metal deposits that look like what comes off a grinder.
Also in some condition I have had to lower my sensitivity.
In some areas you may need to go to a single frequency, I had a friend that had to do that in one area he was detecting.
just some things to think about.
Keys and change in your pocket , go naked , lol just kidding.
Oh one other thing, I have a new set of Bluetooth ear buds that I can’t use because of the chatter the have.
Just some things to think about.
Doug

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. I have been noticing an increase in chatter, mostly all low tone falsing when using my equinox 600 on the beach. It gets exponentially worse if I have the coil submerged in water. I can lift the coil way above the water and swing it and it does the same thing. Low tones the whole time. Reading 0 or 1 on the screen. Do you think this is a coil problem?? I had this happen to my etrac once, and the coil was fried. I only have about 40hrs, if that, on the Nox and it hasn't been abused. Looking forward to your input. Thank you

RelicMedic, did you try different frequencies or multi only. Might want to see if it behaves in all frequencies. try one at a time. Maybe its interference.

First of all, what mode(s) are you using and are you on a salt beach? On dry sand does it go away with the non beach modes or is it present in all modes (indicating a possible coil problem). Is it present in single frequency (which you can only test in non beach modes as beach modes are multi only).

Is there black sand present?

Are you using ground tracking in moving saltwater as recommended by the manual?

Try reducing sensitivity gradually or moving the tone break up to 3 if you are in the water, are afraid you've lowered sense to far, and/or have done all of the above and have eliminated potential sources of EMI. My be the beach conditions. You will only be giving up the rare chain and at least you will get rid of the chatter.

Do as others have suggested and switch coils if you can if you suspect a bad coil.

If it progressively gets worse or you are sure it is a coil, definitely call Minelab.

HTH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread