Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I ran the Equinox at the beach today and did notice a change in its behavior. The bottle caps were producing more of a low end grunt and did not sound like a non-ferrous target. When I checked the targets in all metal, it really had a low end tone. I dug a few and it confirmed they were very rusty bottle caps.
I experimented with both FE and F2 and seemed to get good results in both settings. Search was in dry sand with damp bottoms.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Its really not the machine. It's the conditions and your skills. Ground moisture, lack thereof, soil temperature, swing speed, air humidity, grass or foliage height, distance of the coil off the ground, iron or other mineralization of the ground. SOMETIMES the FREQUENCY of a different machine will make a difference, but I have gone behind myself repeatedly on some sites I have all to myself and have found very nice items. Sometimes it's even a matter of the "tilt" of the coil over the ground.

This is a very repeatable thing.

I totally agree.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what part are you travelling to? In any case, good luck:icon_thumright:

I was in the Colchester/Manningtree area. Had a good trip and will post a few photos when I get the chance. Just got back last night! :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on another beach hunt yesterday. Just wet and dry sand, no water. There wasn't much in the way of wet sand as it was around high tide, but, I did find a few modern coins. I used Beach 2, 20 sens, 6 recovery speed, and tried several iron bias settings. Everything was stable and seemed to work fine. some of the coins were 8-10 inches down. In the dry sand, I used Park 1. I've tried the Beach modes and even the Gold modes there too in the past, but, I seem to get more depth and stability in Park 1. I was able to bump the sens up to 22 for most of the time, and kept the same 6 recovery speed. What I was most curious about was the ability to I.D. bottle caps as bad targets. I put it in F2 and tried settings from 5 to 9. I found a curious thing in 9. It works great on bottle caps. I scooped only one completely flattened and rusty one. That's not the curious part however. In 9, It also gave most melted aluminum cans (nuggets) and many pull tabs a sketchy sound too! That was a nice bonus. Nickels came though loud and clear. Now, I don't know what I'm giving up by setting the iron bias to 9 (maybe some masking issues? Depth? Not seeing small gold?), but, it made dry sand hunting nicer. I did dig a silver Washington quarter at 8" in some hard pan that rang out nicely, so, depth didn't seem to be affected too much. More testing to be sure, but, so far, it's working good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread