Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Prior to testing the new Iron Bias F2 update at Daytona Beach this weekend, I ran a few preliminary tests using a silver quarter and a bottle cap; first an"air test", then using my beach sand test bucket. Just to ensure a degree of controlled conditions, I ran Beach 1 and Beach 2, recovery at level 3 in both tests adjusting only the iron bias level.

The first test was simply placing the two selected targets on the ground and running my coil over them using the original 1.7.5.FE settings and then each level of the 2.0.1 F2 settings. The difference was stark. The new update performed as designed by clearly ID'ing the bottle cap with an iron grunt while hitting on the quarter with the familiar high silver tone. I did notice that the closer the two targets were in proximity to each other the tone was a "compromise" between the grunt and the high tone. In any case, 2.0.1 performed the Iron Bias function much better than 1.7.5 FE under those "air test" conditions.

I then moved the test to my beach sand bucket.

The bucket shown here is filled with sand taken from New Smyrna Beach. I also have several gallons of actual sea water taken from that same area that I use to soak the sand prior to conducting my wet salt sand tests. Disclaimer: I've noticed that New Smyrna Beach doesn't appear to have experienced any adverse environmental effects from this lack of sand and salt water since I brought it home! 8-)

Sand Test Bucket.jpg

I used the same two targets for the test as before: the silver quarter and the bottle cap:

F2 Targets.jpg

I inserted the bottle cap at the 3 inch level and the quarter at the 6 inch level at angles that placed them close to each other in the center of the bucket...the cap being obviously above the quarter and closer to the surface than the quarter.

I found that under these conditions, I had to adjust the F2 level in order to achieve distinct tonal separation. It wasn't as clear cut as in the "air test" scenario. Under these conditions, I found F2 at level 3 was best at separating the two targets.

Preliminary Observations:

1. The 2.0.1 F2 does ID/separate iron much better than 1.7.5 FE...have no fear there.

2. Given the need to adjust the F2 level in order to achieve the best result, I suspect this will be true when I get on the real beach this weekend...I'll keep that in mind. I'll use my test sticks to determine the best setting for the area I'll be hunting. My test sticks: A gold ring, a bottle cap and an iron washer (not shown)

Test Sticks.jpg

I bury these in the wet salt sand and then adjust my settings accordingly to achieve the best level of performance.

3. One important reminder. Leave your phone in the car. I forgot to leave it in the house on my first run and my wireless Quest headphones soon reminded me of my forgetfulness with all the chatter! :laughing7:

More to come when I return from the beach...the actual battlefield test!

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great work! Let us know your real world results. I’m curious if different brand beer caps with different metal composition will all be identified as iron. Good luck.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
The purpose of my preliminary test was twofold:

1. How much better F2 ID'd a bottle cap than FE...the difference was stark as I noted in the OP. No question, F2 is much better. No more pumping or drawing the coil back to see if we get the tell tale iron grunt.

2. How the signal was affected, if at all, when a good target was in close proximity to the bottle cap. As noted, the closer the two targets were together, a compromise signal was heard. It wasn't the high tone of silver and it wasn't the iron grunt, it was a single "compromise" medium tone.

My takeaway from this very preliminary test was if I get any solid tone other than the erratic iron grunt which definitely indicates junk, I'll dig it. I may find a bottle cap in the hole but chances are very high that it will be close to a good target.

My plan for Daytona Beach is to confirm this test bucket result on an actual beach. I also plan to initially dig some bottle cap signals to verify and validate, in my own mind, the upgrade is working as designed....a personal confidence builder you might say.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Thanks Dan for the testing and we are all looking forward to hear how your actually beach testing works.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you update the Equinox to 2.0.1 when you never had the first update? I never updated my Nox to the first update? Do i have to install the first update before i can install the Second update?

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Can you update the Equinox to 2.0.1 when you never had the first update? I never updated my Nox to the first update? Do i have to install the first update before i can install the Second update?

I don't have first hand knowledge, but my guess is that you can. I don't think it would hurt to try. Were it me, I'd download the latest update from the Minelab website, plug in my EQX and go for it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With the update utility you can go directly to 2.0.1 and skip over 1.75, you can also revert back to any firmware pretty easily also. There is no reason not to give it a shot as you can always go back if you do not like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread