Apr 25, 2018
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 400
Garrett GTA 1000 (recently deceased)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went to a local beach this past weekend and went out in the surf to hunt for a bit. As soon as I the coil down on the bottom, I got an almost constant 2 reading and corresponding beep. I was in Beach 2. Performed a factory reset, went back to Beach 2 and got the same results, moved threshold up and down with the same results. Any ideas?

Also, I'll be up on the beach and while swinging, I'll get a very strong signal that will repeat one or two times and then disappear.

I've had this machine for about a year now and by no means am I an expert with it but I do have probably 200 hours of beach hunting with it under my belt and these problems are a little weird.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a guess but maybe a small piece of ferrous caught between the coil and coil cover.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, ML recommends using TRACKING GB in salt surf, but your problem seems different. If it isn't debris in the coil cover, it may be telling you that the coil is starting to go south. Keep an eye on it, if it does not resolve, gets worse, or starts showing up in other detecting situations, you should give ML repair a call.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the advise is clean under the coil cover n check your connections then send it in if need be. What sensitivity are you running? Hows the beach mineralization?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Vferrari said, unless it is something mechanical, I'd first try it just plain outside, not the beach, or over a salt water bucket and if it keeps acting up put it in a nice cardboard casket and send it to Minelab to fix.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No expert here but I've seen that some beach hunters remove the coil cover to hunt sand.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your recovery speed too. Lower settings can be real chatty in the water for whatever reason. I realize your machine only has 3 settings, so, try 3 and see if it helps. With my 800, sometimes I need to put it on 7 to quiet it down.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has problems in black sand. When the sand is a mix of black and clean sand I will pick up iron grunting.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Sensitivity to high. ?
are you wearing shoes, metal eyelets.
black sand and ? Raise your iron bias up.
just guessing here.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread