Almost wrapped my Equinox 800 around a palm tree!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was detecting the wet and dry sand yesterday and kept getting false signals everywhere. Even on the dry sand it was abnormally chatty. I thought it may be due to the last update so I kept making adjustments to the Iron Bios but to no avail.

I took off the coil cover to see if there was any debris between the coil and cover and It had a bit of sand but not much.
After knocking the sand off and reinstalling the cover, it still wanted to false and chat.

So I did a noise cancel, with no improvement.
I thought WTH!
So driving home I felt a bit disappointed with the Nox and thought I'd test it when I get home and I'm sure glad I did.
I discovered It was due to my cell phone in my side cargo short's pocket causing all the trouble.:laughing7:

Low volume while in the Pinpoint Mode is another question.
Comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Rusty

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my phone caused problems with my Nox too. I first blamed it on EMI but finally figured it out. Now it stays in the truck while at the beach.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Glad it wasn't your machine.:icon_thumright:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, buying another machine gets expensive. The Minelabs I have gone up against head to head have always had a problem w emi. Power lines, transformers, dog fences, all that stuff for some reason.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I have had the low volume in the pinpoint mode. The cause, at least what I figured out was that I turned on the pinpoint when I was to close to the target so it kinda nulled it out. So turn off the pinpoint move away from target then turn it back on again and you should be fine. At least that is what I have had to do. I think it kinda ground balances on the target (my opinion)

Doug

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had the low volume in the pinpoint mode. The cause, at least what I figured out was that I turned on the pinpoint when I was to close to the target so it kinda nulled it out. So turn off the pinpoint move away from target then turn it back on again and you should be fine. At least that is what I have had to do. I think it kinda ground balances on the target (my opinion)

Doug

I had the low volume on pin pointing pretty regular. I too would get the coil a lot farther away and try it again, usually worked

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I had the low volume on pin pointing pretty regular. I too would get the coil a lot farther away and try it again, usually worked
i think he was talking about when pinpoint sometimes the pinpoint volume was low when he was trying to pinpoint an object. Sometimes my volume is low when I turn it on and o have to turn it off then move away from target and turn it back on then it’s ok. Also if you turn it on close to another target it will do it also.
Doug

djqix

Feb 9, 2019
Phillipsburg, Warren County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, buying another machine gets expensive. The Minelabs I have gone up against head to head have always had a problem w emi. Power lines, transformers, dog fences, all that stuff for some reason.

I get the exact same problem on my Makro Multi Kruzer. Haven't hit is as bad on the Nox 800 yet.

OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Also if you turn it on close to another target it will do it also.
Doug
This is what I think was happening. It was intermittent, twice actually. When I turned on Pinpoint Mode the coil was away from the target but volume was low. Turned off Pinpoint Mode, tried again and it worked. Thanks everyone for your comments!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never used the Nox I had near a power line. My Tesoros had no problems, can't remember what the old White's did anymore. I think only those huge overhead transmission lines affected it.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ok EMI. If you have a car and put a bigger engine it you have more power.
EMI could there be a chance the NOX is more sensitive.
Try this lower the sensitivity down maybe below 10. If you are still having problems go to a single frequency. I’d try 10khz. The Nox is probably more sensitive and that is probably why people are finding more stuff in hunted out sites.
these are just my thoughts.

Doug

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:laughing7: Rusty, I saw where you read my post on Prelimnary Testing of the 2.0 Update. In fact, you gave me a "like" on it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...salt-sand-test-update-2-0-1-iron-bias-f2.html

My Last comment of that post was:

3. One important reminder. Leave your phone in the car. I forgot to leave it in the house on my first run and my wireless Quest headphones soon reminded me of my forgetfulness with all the chatter!

Not to worry, I too forgot to leave my phone in the house on my first run of that test as I stated in the OP. We all do it my friend! :BangHead: :laughing7: :occasion14:

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird, I’ve had my 600 for over a year and never had that problem. I wear a Minelab vest and put my cell phone in the top left side chest pocket and swing the nox on my right side. Sens at 18-23 and it’s been no problem. I’ve been using the 6” coil. Maybe it would be different if I go back to the stock coil. I just downloaded latest firmware though and haven’t tried it yet so maybe things will change.

Last edited:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird, I’ve had my 600 for over a year and never had that problem. I wear a Minelab vest and put my cell phone in the top left side chest pocket and swing the nox on my right side. Sens at 18-23 and it’s been no problem. I’ve been using the 6” coil. Maybe it would be different if I go back to the stock coil. I just downloaded latest firmware though and haven’t tried it yet so maybe things will change.
I had the problem with my phone on my right hip and swinging on the right. Maybe your phone is far enough away and your body is between the two. Maybe that is the answer.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its not a problem from all phones. My cell doesnt affect my EQX one bit, but I've had other people walk up to talk to me and my detector started popping and falsing like crazy, especially if their phone gets or makes a call.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, alot of these newer detectors are sensitive to cellphones. I had an at pro, that would let me know ahead of time i would get a txt msg . It would go wonky in my front pocket, but all was well when i put in in my back pocket

OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: Rusty, I saw where you read my post on Prelimnary Testing of the 2.0 Update. In fact, you gave me a "like" on it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...salt-sand-test-update-2-0-1-iron-bias-f2.html

My Last comment of that post was:

3. One important reminder. Leave your phone in the car. I forgot to leave it in the house on my first run and my wireless Quest headphones soon reminded me of my forgetfulness with all the chatter!

Not to worry, I too forgot to leave my phone in the house on my first run of that test as I stated in the OP. We all do it my friend! :BangHead: :laughing7: :occasion14:
Your post reminded me to check to see if it was the cell. Much appreciated Colonel!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason,

I am really glad you posted this; my cell phone (iPhone) does not seem to affect my EQX one bit, either -- but have never had the experience you have, where someone else's phone caused your machine to act up. I ASSUMED that it must be only "some" phones, since my phone doesn't bother my EQX, and so what you said, about another person's phone interfering with your machine, seems to confirm that.

Thanks!

Steve

Its not a problem from all phones. My cell doesnt affect my EQX one bit, but I've had other people walk up to talk to me and my detector started popping and falsing like crazy, especially if their phone gets or makes a call.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might also be a combination of type of phone, what mode on the Nox, sens level, proximity of the phone to the MD, and any number of other factors. It is something easy to try if you do encounter the issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread