Hey fellas have any of you try in setup on modern and old nail?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m going to my 1820’s permission and it pretty big so I was thinking about using my big coil. The place has modern and old iron square nails so with the small coil I’ve been using sensitivity 7 or 8 to get in between targets. So I was wondering if it would worth’s same with the big coil but go deeper? Or would I just be covering more space?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would really just be covering more space and getting more targets under the coil at the same time causing more signal overload. If you are in a bed of nails situation go with the 6" or at most the 11". Getting more depth in that situation doesn't help, just makes more noise plus with the 15" coil only being 12" wide, you are not going to get much more depth than the stock 11". If you really want the deep keepers in that situation you basically have to remove the nails. Otherwise, the best you can do, is "sift" at low sensitivity, higher recovery speed and grab the shallower keepers that are otherwised masked by the iron to the slower machines like the AT Pros etc. No free lunches. You have to work hard to recover the keepers in that siuation.

BTW if you haven't hit that site with the six inch coil and the latest software, you should give it a shot. Use the new F2 iron bias setting at 5 or 6 and see how it goes.

HTH

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the 6” should work better in the nail infested area. Good luck.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be interested in hearing if the F2 upgrade will see past the nails to good targets (uncovering blocked targets), or just nullify the occasional falsing hightone nail. I have not upgraded yet.

I ran my 6” in a modern graded area of an old farmstead yesterday. An area I had passed on in the past as just too trashy. Tons of homesite trash, uneven surface, and pulled some really deep keepers, like 2 scoops down, 10”. Including small underwear clasps and a V nickel. Running Park1, sens 21, horseshoe on. Crazy deep midtones for this environment. Cherry picking targets that are 2 way, deep and small.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller the coil, the better! Also, put on your, "I'm Patient Today" hat because those nails are hiding some nice targets! Dig Away!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in hearing if the F2 upgrade will see past the nails to good targets (uncovering blocked targets), or just nullify the occasional falsing hightone nail. I have not upgraded yet.

I ran my 6” in a modern graded area of an old farmstead yesterday. An area I had passed on in the past as just too trashy. Tons of homesite trash, uneven surface, and pulled some really deep keepers, like 2 scoops down, 10”. Including small underwear clasps and a V nickel. Running Park1, sens 21, horseshoe on. Crazy deep midtones for this environment. Cherry picking targets that are 2 way, deep and small.

You might just want to upgrade and test it out for yourself. It just adds the F2 settings, but you can always use the old FE settings if you desire too so there is no downside to doing the upgrade that I have seen so far. Every detecting situation is unique when it comes to this kind of thing that I rarely rely on others experiences on such things because it is so nuanced. I only pay attention if someone actually finds that there is a bug that totally screws up the machine and even in that case, ML makes it easy to roll back to a previous version. No matter what though, there is nothing magic about F2, when dealing with iron falsing and masking there are no magic bullets.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread