Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The following is what I do, secondstar...
Near the hole lip I usually go Field2, 22 sens, 0 iron bias, 5tones, recovery 3, multi, accept everything above iron. Good sites I use 6in coil.
Away from the lip I'm still in Field2 but I hunt in 5kHz and check targets in multi, recovery 2 (slow down swing speed), the rest is the same. Best of luck to you and your friends.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
General area around cellar hole, Nox 600, Park1, sens 21, recovery 2, multi, 5 tones, running with horseshoe on. If there is an interesting area with a lot of iron, Field2, drop sens to 15 and go super slow.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a new hole yesterday in RI that had machine gun iron. It wasnt easy, either park or field will be fine but keep the horseshow in to hear the iron and recovery 2/3 on the 600. Sensitivity 18-20 if you can & Iron bias 0. If you are picking up allot of falsing iron.. (1700’s/1800’s iron is tough to get rid of) put the bias at 1 and see if that helps. Good luck

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a couple have said above, slow down. This alone has made a HUGE difference it what I have been finding lately. Good luck!!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a new hole yesterday in RI that had machine gun iron. It wasnt easy, either park or field will be fine but keep the horseshow in to hear the iron and recovery 2/3 on the 600. Sensitivity 18-20 if you can & Iron bias 0. If you are picking up allot of falsing iron.. (1700’s/1800’s iron is tough to get rid of) put the bias at 1 and see if that helps. Good luck

First of all, important to specify Park 1 or 2 or Field 1 or 2. Since cellar holes typically contain lots of iron and mid conductive relics along with the occasional high conductive coin, Park 2 or Field 2 are your best bets, but Park 1 can work too. Also, with the update, the iron bias game has changed. If you typically run FE 0 to preclude iron bias masking, give F2 4 to 6 a shot (F2 2 to 3 on the 600). It appears to quiet iron falsing while being less susceptible to masking. Use AM so you can hear tge iron grunts. HTH.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
vferrari.....I downloaded the new update on my 600 but can't get the F2 to come up on the screen. What am I doing wrong? I appreciate any help that you can give....thanks.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vferrari.....I downloaded the new update on my 600 but can't get the F2 to come up on the screen. What am I doing wrong? I appreciate any help that you can give....thanks.

You need to press the settings button and navigate over to recovery speed. Then long press the settings button in order to access the iron bias settings. Lastly, you use the accept / reject button to toggle between FE and F2.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tennessee, If you are still having trouble with accessing the new settings using seconstar's instructions. Do a factory reset and try again. If still no joy, then try rerunning the 2.0 update. GL.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw minelab recommends running F2 in all iron mode. My problem is, I run in hot mineralized ground and the constant iron grunts are quite distracting with all iron turned on.
Any ideas?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw minelab recommends running F2 in all iron mode. My problem is, I run in hot mineralized ground and the constant iron grunts are quite distracting with all iron turned on.
Any ideas?

Turn the iron bin volume down, then. The advantage of running F2 with no disc is that it enhances the iron grunt on borderline ferrous signals, so that is why they recommend doing it. But the other advantage is that without iron disc, you will preclude non-ferrous tone clipping even with iron volume turned down. Regardless, F2 will still work in disc mode, you will just be discing out the iron tone portion of a false target, which is part of what clues you in to the nature whether or not you are hearing a false tone. It's a nuanced filter but not a magic bullet. If you are in a bed of nails situation it might quiet things down a bit, but as with any filter, if you apply too much, you might start masking legit non-ferrous targets. So basically, you have to do your own field experimentation to see what works.

Also, grunts due to mineralization, -7's to -9's on the display, can be mitigated somewhat (again, not foolproof) with repeated auto GBing as necessary or running GB in tracking mode. HTH.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions