Bluetooth earbuds that pair separately work with Equinox?

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was about to pull the trigger on these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VD3M6M3/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza when I read that they are supposed to pair to a device separately. I might be misunderstanding, but it sounded like you would have two earbuds paired separately and work together, or is it one earbud paired to the device and the other earbud connected to the first earbud? I wasn't sure if the Equinox would simultaneously connect to two devices this way. Anyone have any experience with this type of earbud?

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I’d be careful. If they don’t have a cord between them you’ll never feel it when one falls out.
Second I’d bet the won’t work. Of they are not LL they most likely will not work with the Nox. I’ve got a set from Amazon that are not LL and won’t work so I wasted my money.

Doug

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d be careful. If they don’t have a cord between them you’ll never feel it when one falls out.
Second I’d bet the won’t work. Of they are not LL they most likely will not work with the Nox. I’ve got a set from Amazon that are not LL and won’t work so I wasted my money.

Doug
I have a cheap set that are not LL but they did pair and work.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I have a cheap set that are not LL but they did pair and work.
The ones I have did par up but there was so much interference like static that they were useless. Others have been having the same problem. I have been looking for a set and the ones I want are out of stock and I’m guessing they are from China and could be the terrify. I’m not spending $70+ for earbuds.
. wondering if the ones you have are LL type that are working ok.

Doug

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones I have did par up but there was so much interference like static that they were useless. Others have been having the same problem. I have been looking for a set and the ones I want are out of stock and I’m guessing they are from China and could be the terrify. I’m not spending $70+ for earbuds.
. wondering if the ones you have are LL type that are working ok.

Doug
Definitely not LL. They were $5. They work but there is a delay. I didn't notice any static. I didn't buy them for the detector. I just tried them for the heck of it.

OP
OP
67GTA

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are 5.0 low latency. I was just worried about the Equinox not pairing/working with 2 devices at once.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Definitely not LL. They were $5. They work but there is a delay. I didn't notice any static. I didn't buy them for the detector. I just tried them for the heck of it.
A delay , I’ll bet that fun , I’m just saying for everyone out there just be careful. I’ve been looking for a couple months and haven’t found anything yet.
Doug

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A delay , I’ll bet that fun , I’m just saying for everyone out there just be careful. I’ve been looking for a couple months and haven’t found anything yet.
Doug
It's not a lot but it makes pinpointing a trick. I'm sure you could miss a few small targets too.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
It's not a lot but it makes pinpointing a trick. I'm sure you could miss a few small targets too.
A lot of the stuff I find is small ( two diamond ear rings and a tifeney earring a 18k gold ring and 4 other rungs) so that could never work for me. I have enough trouble with my brain now, LOL
Doug

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the stuff I find is small ( two diamond ear rings and a tifeney earring a 18k gold ring and 4 other rungs) so that could never work for me. I have enough trouble with my brain now, LOL
Doug
Me too. I won't use them for the MD.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about to pull the trigger on these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VD3M6M3/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza when I read that they are supposed to pair to a device separately. I might be misunderstanding, but it sounded like you would have two earbuds paired separately and work together, or is it one earbud paired to the device and the other earbud connected to the first earbud? I wasn't sure if the Equinox would simultaneously connect to two devices this way. Anyone have any experience with this type of earbud?

These are 5.0 low latency. I was just worried about the Equinox not pairing/working with 2 devices at once.

Don't buy - 2 reasons:

First, If they each DO pair separately, then only one will work with Equinox at a time.

Second, they are APTX but according to the reviews they are NOT APTX LL and nothing in the manufacturer info confirms APTX LL so they will suffer from a noticeable delay. APTX delay is about 60 - 80 ms, APTX LL is guaranteed 40 ms or less. Non APTX BT is 120 to 220 ms, which is practically unusable for metal detecting. BT 5.0 doesn't have anything to do with latency. Whether it's BT 4, 5, or whatever it needs to be using the APTX LL codec. HTH.

OP
OP
67GTA

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, If they each DO pair separately, then only one will work with Equinox at a time.

This was my fear because you can only pair one set of headphones to the Equinox at a time, and I have no experience with these type of earbuds. I could have sworn I read "low latency" somewhere in there. Maybe it was another pair I got them mixed up with. I can't find it now:dontknow:

OP
OP
67GTA

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found it in the "From the manufacturer" description. Low Latency 5.0 bluetooth. I wonder if there is a low latency standard? If they are from China they can probably get away with the claim and not actually be true low latency.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it in the "From the manufacturer" description. Low Latency 5.0 bluetooth. I wonder if there is a low latency standard? If they are from China they can probably get away with the claim and not actually be true low latency.

I see that now, but again low latency and BT 5.0 don't have anything to do with each other, it needs to say APTX LL. And if you run a search using APTX on the reviews, you will see people complaining about a noticeable delay while watching video which would not happen if they were true APTX LL.

Also, most true wireless phones don't operate the way the manufacturer describes. Typically only one earpiece connects to the source (usually the right one) as the master and the master then connects to the second earpiece. The whole thing sounds sketchy.

Final note. I own a pair of true wireless earbuds for gym workouts, they are not APTX LL so I haven't even bothered to try to connect them to Equinox, but even though they stay pretty secure, I doubt I would do outside running or detecting with them anyway because if one of them popped off, that would probably be the end of that. Probably would not be able to locate it. I like having the wire connecting the two buds as it acts as sort of a safety lanyard too, to keep you from losing one or the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
67GTA

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking about walking through a creek and one of them popping out! I have the new Soundpeats Q12 earbuds. I love the sound, but have been plagued with connectivity issues. They will randomly disconnect and take 10-15 minutes to reconnect. I've started carrying a cheap pair of wired earbuds to use when it happens so I can keep hunting.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you installed the update? I could be imagining things, but my paired headphones seem to connect faster but I didn't suffer from random disconnects so I don't know if that will help with the Q12's.

OP
OP
67GTA

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have it installed but haven't been able to get a shovel in the ground here in Kentucky. Just got some rain, so I'll test them out this week.

OP
OP
67GTA

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading several headphone adverts, I can see what you were talking about with low latency. The ones that are true low latency will say aptx-ll or aptx low latency. The ones that just say aptx alone and then low latency somewhere else in the description are probably not true low latency. Very sneaky...

OP
OP
67GTA

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried stock headphones and Soundpeats Q12 with new update today. Both of them after being paired connected almost immediately after turning on the detector. That is a huge improvement. Didn't have any connection issues with Q12's for 8 hours of digging today.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I seen someone talk about delay, is the headset supplied by minelab for the nox have a delay?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread